CAST vs. Dynafit

So I currently own a CAST setup and am considering going full on weight weenie for the winter.

I'm trying to decide if I want to just change the ski on the cast setup (which is way too heavy) to something like a zero G. Or if I want to go full dynafiddle.

Most of my tours this winter will be longer full day endeavors. And to be honest changing out a toe piece at the top of an exposed line doesn't inspire confidence.

That being said I'm also not flexible enough to stay locked in and kick a skin off. So stepping in to a Dynafit binding scares me too.

Anyone have experience or suggestions other than the obvious "man up and don't be a pussy!"

Tech talk?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Dynafit sounds like a good choice. Just be aware of the possible difference in boot choice, and the obvious choice of exaggerated snowfeel.

CAST is more slackcounty optimized. Nice to have full on dynafit setup too. Keep both

If you are doing "full day endeavors" you should go dynafit.

As far as taking skins off w/skis on: Actually easy with practice, regardless of flexibility. I am truly unflexible, and have no trouble. I do it even when I am with slow transition partners, and will be standing around for a while waiting.
    Stepping in gets pretty easy with practice as well- easier with actual Dynafit fittings, or identical fittings like on some Scarpas.

Super easy stepping into Ions.

I'd say go fully weight weenie: ZeroG/Zenoxide + speed radical + 1600 g boot (Mtn Lab, Vulcan, Khion, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by hhtele View Post
    As far as taking skins off w/skis on: Actually easy with practice, regardless of flexibility. I am truly unflexible, and have no trouble.
    Yep, this 100%. It's really just technique. I'm about as flexible as a 2x4. When you can transition from skiing to skinning without taking off your skis, then you'll be a real master...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    If you are doing "full day endeavors" you should go dynafit.
    Endeavors? I thought the correct terminology was missions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Tech talk?
    Yep. That's my bad. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I'd say go fully weight weenie: ZeroG/Zenoxide + speed radical + 1600 g boot (Mtn Lab, Vulcan, Khion, etc).

Yep, this 100%. It's really just technique. I'm about as flexible as a 2x4. When you can transition from skiing to skinning without taking off your skis, then you'll be a real master...

My wallet was worried that might be the answer. It makes logical sense. Thanks for the input everyone!

If you're really thinking about going full weight weenie, I'd suggest a lighter boot - TLT5P or TLT6, or a host of other offerings on the market these days. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vulcans (my only boot), but when I'm driving my skinny skis, it feels like overkill. I'd be very tempted to get a much lighter boot if I were in your shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Endeavors? I thought the correct terminology was missions?
    Not my words, I'm just quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    If you're really thinking about going full weight weenie, I'd suggest a lighter boot - TLT5P or TLT6, or a host of other offerings on the market these days. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vulcans (my only boot), but when I'm driving my skinny skis, it feels like overkill. I'd be very tempted to get a much lighter boot if I were in your shoes.
    I came to say this. When I went through my weight-saving phase several years ago, I discovered that light boots had the biggest impact by far.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I have both Vulcans and TLT5P. While I realize that boots have a huge impact on overall weight, the TLT5P makes the down so much less fun, I use my Vulcans for everything. Maybe the TLT6P or something else is a better balance, but I still want to ski the way I want.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

CAST vs. Dynafit

I have both Vulcans and TLT5P. While I realize that boots have a huge impact on overall weight, the TLT5P makes the down so much less fun, I use my Vulcans for everything. Maybe the TLT6P or something else is a better balance, but I still want to ski the way I want.
    Interesting. I skied the 5P once while trying to decide between those, the 6Ps and the Vulcan/Mercury. I didn't get to ski any of the rest, but I feel like the Vulcan is enough boot everywhere. My tours are generally day trips when the focus is the down, so I feel I made a good choice for me, but if I were looking at mountaineering or bigger days, I would take a long, hard look at some of the lighter offerings out there.

I've often wondered if I would have chosen differently if I could have spent more time on the 5s or 6s.

Seth
    Last edited by sethschmautz; 09-06-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    That being said I'm also not flexible enough to stay locked in and kick a skin off.
    yes you are. everyone is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    "man up and don't be a pussy!"
    but to your question - yes. get some sort of proper tech bindings. Beasts can be found on the cheap if you want burly. Keep the CAST for slackcountry... this is what I've done.

also the difference in boots is significant, as per what everyone else said.