Best knots for a tapered steelhead nymph rig

I'm have been having trouble getting my double surgeons to be strong on a regular basis lately while setting up my trout nymph rigs. It seems like for every knot that's strong one, two even three will break when I test them before I get one solid. I get it lubed and pull slow but it seems like it's never certain the first time. I want to make sure that my knots on my tapered leader don't break if I hook a bigger fish and was wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Should use a triple surgeons? Or should I learn the blood knot and use that. I read that the surgeons is stronger, but with my rate of failure I want to be solid.

I don't tie tapered tippets, but the uni to uni knot is my go to for line to line connections.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    have you tried putting away your bobbers
    learning to cast n swing
    till the tug drug kicks in?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    have you tried putting away your bobbers
    learning to cast n swing
    till the tug drug kicks in?

Yes indeed my bratha, but during the day when I gotta get down I want to catch fish then too.

well then i'd surely invest in the time it takes to learn to tie a bloodknot
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I use a quadruple surgeons; double surgeon is not a strong knot (around 60%). The quad forms a nice figure eight when cinched and is symmetrical compared to a triple so it lies flat and keeps the leader straighter. Fast to tie and strong too, used it to land steelhead and salmon to 25 lbs with no problems. When I have to break off a snag, the quad surgeon and the improved clinch seem to fail at about the same rate so imo the break strength is about the same (appx 90%). Its a little bulkier than a good bloodknot but it's so much easier to tie I can pretty much tie it in the dark in 30 seconds. Also, don't test a knot so hard you can break it, you are just weakening the line. Whatever knot you choose, tie a good knot with confidence and snug it up, don't "test" it. If you are using an improved clinch as your terminal knot, thats only a 90% strength knot so worrying about blood vs surgeon and whether your leader knots are a full 100% is kind of pointless. You should know the following knots: arbor, albright and nail, blood or surgeon's, improved clinch and non-slip mono loop. Albright can be substituted for the nail knot when you don't have a nail or tying tool handy (I find it easier to freehand an albright to attach a thick leader butt to the fly line but it won't slide through the guides as smoothly as a nail). A quad surgeon's can be substituted for the blood if you don't mind trading a slightly larger knot for ease of tying.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-04-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Triple surgeons is just as strong as a quad without making it more complicated. Surgeons are stronger than blood knots. Make sure your diameters are somewhat close. I spent hours on an insatron comparing knot strengths and different brands of material. And nymphing for steelhead is ghey.

Blood knot, Holmes.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Triple surgeons is just as strong as a quad without making it more complicated. Surgeons are stronger than blood knots. Make sure your diameters are somewhat close. I spent hours on an insatron comparing knot strengths and different brands of material. And nymphing for steelhead is ghey.
    I don't add the extra overhand for strength; the quad lies more straight, that's why I use it. Don't like the way a triple makes the sections jut out at a slight angle.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Ah fuck that old hippie,,,he only sees long perfect Deschutes and Salmon River Runs to swing old classic spey lines on a 16 foot glass rod..... Slot fishing you have to do it...go straight 16 lb Maxima with 4 feet, taper down to 12 for 4 feet. then down to 10 flouro.. adjust BOBBER (face it. not an indicator) to depth.
    You should not have a problem.

EDIT-Cat gut lines with riffle hitches per current is what dictates SFB's steelhead fishing style!!!!
    Last edited by Lumpy; 12-16-2015 at 03:09 AM. Reason: blah blahing
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    Ah fuck that old hippie,,,he only sees long perfect Deschutes and Salmon River Runs to swing old classic spey lines on a 16 foot glass rod..... Slot fishing you have to do it...go straight 16 lb Maxima with 4 feet, taper down to 12 for 4 feet. then down to 10 flouro.. adjust BOBBER (face it. not an indicator) to depth.
    You should not have a problem.

EDIT-Cat gut lines with riffle hitches per current is what dictates SFB's steelhead fishing style!!!!

Thanks Lumpy. Unfortunately I put in many hours and no luck on the D this season. Although I enjoyed every minute. I swing and nymph so it doesn't bother me. I am just enjoying learning more hands on approaches to working with my gear. Hoping to at some point start tying some flies too. Until then, loving fishing.