Thread: Kiwi's (or seasonal Kiwi's) need your advice

Kiwi's (or seasonal Kiwi's) need your advice

Hope this is in the right forum, fuck!
    Want to go to En Zead next season for about 2 weeks to see what all the hype is about. Will be going solo, if anyone is heading there for a trip too. Im easy, all the girls (guys?) know that.

Pretty much i want to achieve two things, get the best possible snow i can aim for and ski the best mountains i can. Ok i know thats REALLY hopeful but its my goal, this might be my only chance at NZ for a while as after next year ill be working seasonal winters in Australia.

Thinking ill go South Island, possibly fly right into Christchurch. I wanted to go Craigieburn originally but i have heard if there is no new snow i may be wasting my time. I am totally flexible with dates and things but due to work i have to set the dates 4 month prior. So i cant keep my eye out for a big storm then just jump on a plane.

Other option is hiring a van or something, driving where the good are and sleeping in car parks (can you even do that there?). The cheaper the better, but i can budget a bit more for say a heli/cat day or something.
    I dont have my own BC gear and i dont have the skills to just go out there, so its resorts or guided BC/SC for me unfortunately.

What would you do and where do you recommend? What would be the most ideal time to plan the 2 weeks. Last two in July or sometime in August?

Hey there...

1) I'd go in August...later the better IMO so there's at least a base to ski on...I've had some horrible July trips and some amazing September trips. Its tough to know for sure but Sept 1st is a good overall date that I use.

2) From Christchurch - closest ski field is Ski Porters...and that's still around 90mins of driving. Craigeburn and Broken River are just down the road but then you have to factor in hiking or taking the goods lift up to the main base area (these are mom and pop style of ski areas).

3) If you flew into Queenstown - more expensive town but plenty of accommodation of all types from Hostels to 5-star. From town you can hop of buses to take you to Coronet (20 mins), Remarkables (30-45 mins), Cardrona (1 hour or so) and even Treble Cone (2 hours) for day trips if you don't want to rent a car. Of course, there's a fee for the bus ride.

4) There are a ton of heli operations and even some cat operations. Heli-skiing is the only way you can get access deep into the mountains...think of it as the ski fields are on the outside of the range but the heli-skiing is in the center. Higher up, more snow, just better skiing...if you get a decent storm and some bluebird days...its almost a must if it fits your budget. You can heli ski from Mt. Hutt, Mt. Cook, Wanaka, and Queenstown and there are dozens of operations.

Queenstown >>>> Christchurch.

Thanks guys, the only reason i was thinking Christchurch was for the club fields. But price wise (flights) Queenstown is no different really.

Thanks heaps Skier666. So going off July being risky and September being good (many storms in spring?) that gives me a good date to work on.

So base at Queenstown and just travel around to the resorts around that area. That sound pretty good, for 2 weeks gives me lots of options. You mentioned some of the Heli operations. Im sure i could make a day of it, if i can get dorm style accom while there. Any you could really recommend as a MUST if weather lines up? If i am staying around Queenstown area...

Should have checked the new threads first lol.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...and-House-Swap

I've flown with Southern Lakes Heli and Harris Mountain heli a few times. I've tried on Mt. Cook and out of Methven a few times but always got denied by weather.

Thanks for the advice, got a few things in mind now i can look to plan.

You're a Moment fan hey? I am gonna take my Belafontes. What set up do you roll with in NZ?

If you get a chance, head over to Wanaka too. It's a nice town with some good food options, more of a mellow vibe than Queenstown.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaper guy View Post
    Thanks for the advice, got a few things in mind now i can look to plan.

You're a Moment fan hey? I am gonna take my Belafontes. What set up do you roll with in NZ?
    This year I just brought one pair of skis...Deathwish.

Nice, pretty bummed i missed out on last years Deathwish. That topsheet! Shiiiieeet!!

If im around Queenstown, im sure to make at least a day trip to Wanaka. Ive heard its such an awesome place without the snow.

I have spent the last two winters in Wanaka, skiing at Treble Cone.

Has lots of fun terrain packed into a fairly small area. World class chutes straight off the chair aswell.

Gutted Im missing out on this years mega snows.

Rough man! NZ looks to be having a super season, much like Chile... Just hope this means next season wont be shit. Just saw a new pic from snowforecast of the fresh at Treble Cone yesterday. In Spring!!

real cheap/easy car rentals in NZ. maybe consider doing that so you can follow any storms and sleep in it. not the cheapest gas though (maybe $7-8/gal)

Was looking at the wicked campers out of Queenstown. Transport and accommodation in one, only problem is it might get a bit lonely on a solo trip? Thats why i like the dorm/back packer style, but would be wasting money on transport if i stay in one place for more than a few days.

Its a great idea however, ill get the best snow.