Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Return of the Moment Garbones

Was looking at the Blister members section and saw this

"Big News: We’re bringing back a cult classic: the Moment M1. Once upon a time, Moment made a ski called the M1. It was later made stiffer, given tip rocker, and called the Garbones. This was never a ski for everyone, but for some skiers, it was—and still is—the best ski ever.
    So we’re bringing back that stiffened up, tip rockered, final version of the M1 / Garbones, and it will be available via pre-order to Blister members."

Not sure I want to pay an extra fifty bucks to Blister to be able to buy these...but very excited these will be back in action.

BEST

NEWS

EVER

I know eh? Now I am going to have to go out and by some ridiculous Look P 36 DIN bindings (that I will run at 8) to complete my compensating.

seriously though these skis kill it like nothing else.

edit-its not clear from the website, but I really hope they are referring to the 105 waisted version.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    I know eh? Now I am going to have to go out and by some ridiculous Look P 36 DIN bindings (that I will run at 8) to complete my compensating.

seriously though these skis kill it like nothing else.

edit-its not clear from the website, but I really hope they are referring to the 105 waisted version.
    They said most recent final version, so it's more than likely the 112...which I happen to like a little more than the 105 anyway.

Can't look at the moment website....dammit
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Its going to be the 105 version under the name M1. We changed the name to the Garbones when Craig Garbiel was on the team and doing the big mtn comps. Since Craig is no longer with us we dont want to step on any toes. So its going to have its original name.

Hope to have it on the site soon. You wont need to be a Blister member to special order this ski but there are some great Blister membership benefits that make it worth while.

If you have any questions or want to make a preorder shoot me an email: luke@momentskis.com

Some Skier666 2007 stoke:

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Its going to be the 105 version under the name M1.
    Yes!

Go with the black graphic. Amazing in person. It may just be me but the shape of the ski on the blister site makes it look like there is more tip taper?

Its going to be the 105 version under the name M1. We changed the name to the Garbones when Craig Garbiel was on the team and doing the big mtn comps. Since Craig is no longer with us we dont want to step on any toes. So its going to have its original name.

Hope to have it on the site soon. You wont need to be a Blister member to special order this ski but there are some great Blister membership benefits that make it worth while.

If you have any questions or want to make a preorder shoot me an email: luke@momentskis.com
    How much do they weigh? I'm specifically interested the 182, but I guess the general weights would be useful for the rest of the masses.

How does this ski compare to, say the RC112/LP105/Praxis Freeride (med-stiff), in terms of stiffness/flex/charging/etc? And where is the mount point?

Will this be a regular product that you will offer again, or is it a one-off thing? I need the CAN$ to get stronger before I can purchase anything from America, let alone skis. Love the look of that ski... damn.
    Last edited by shafty85; 09-10-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Where will they be made out of interest?

Moment makes skis in more than one place?

Looks like they are on the site with black top/pink base.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Moment makes skis in more than one place?
    They make skis out of Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!

But seriously, is this only for nostalgia? Seems like this ski is just an old Belafonte?

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Try again
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

The pink is a different topsheet option. Best topsheet option.

A Melee sighting!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yes!

Go with the black graphic. Amazing in person. It may just be me but the shape of the ski on the blister site makes it look like there is more tip taper?
    Thats just a graphic template. No difference in tip taper. Its the same "golden years" M1/Garbones shape of 130-105-119. We will be using the same CAD program from years ago. The ski will have updated materials. Such as our new 4001 durasurf base, New custom triax with carbon fiberglass weave, new binding mount, and lots of other different construction techniques we have learned since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    How much do they weigh? I'm specifically interested the 182, but I guess the general weights would be useful for the rest of the masses.

How does this ski compare to, say the RC112/LP105/Praxis Freeride (med-stiff), in terms of stiffness/flex/charging/etc? And where is the mount point?

Will this be a regular product that you will offer again, or is it a one-off thing? I need the CAN$ to get stronger before I can purchase anything from America, let alone skis. Love the look of that ski... damn.
    I dont have 182s in the factory right now but they are right at 9.5lbs for the pair.

I havent flexed those skis next to the M1 so I cant say. The M1 is STIFF and the most chargy thing we have ever made.

Mount point is -9cm.

This is a specialty pre-order only product. We might make a few extra for regular sale through the season, it just depends how busy we stay, demand, etc

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Where will they be made out of interest?
    All of our skis are made in our factory in Reno, NV USA. They always have been and always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaper guy View Post

But seriously, is this only for nostalgia? Seems like this ski is just an old Belafonte?
    The Bela was always the watered down version of the Garbones, how much did it give up in terms of sheer puppy killing power I don't know I never skied the Bela. Obviously now the Bela is a little different with the built in Praxis technology. I have to imagine the Blister guys who have reviewed like 40 different versions of the Bela, will be able to chime in on how they compare. But I'm guessing in a throw down the new M1 will still be the go to for straight up straight lines. There maybe be a bit of nostalgia going on for me, not sure... but the combination of insane stability with very user friendly feel at speed made it really unique. I never skied anything that made it that easy to go stupid fast.

I dont have the site built out for two different topsheet options. I made a note in the product description that you have two different topsheet options. You can select this after you select what size ski you want.

http://www.momentskis.com/products/m1

If anyone has skied the old Bela and the M1/Gnarbones, I'd be interested in a comparison. Or an M1 and a Wrenegade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaper guy View Post
    They make skis out of Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!

We only make skis in Reno, NV.

This ski is for more than nostalgia. We made the M1/Garbones for people who wanted the stiffest most charging ski out there. At the end of the day, it isn't the most accessible ski for most skiers so it became the Belafonte, which is still a charger, just not as intense. Every year we have people emailing and calling us asking us to bring back this ski. We thought this year would be a good time to bring it back for those people who wanted something more.

The Bela was always the watered down version of the Garbones, how much did it give up in terms of sheer puppy killing power I don't know I never skied the Bela. Obviously now the Bela is a little different with the built in Praxis technology. I have to imagine the Blister guys who have reviewed like 40 different versions of the Bela, will be able to chime in on how they compare. But I'm guessing in a throw down the new M1 will still be the go to for straight up straight lines. There maybe be a bit of nostalgia going on for me, not sure... but the combination of insane stability with very user friendly feel at speed made it really unique. I never skied anything that made it that easy to go stupid fast.
    I wouldn't call Triple Camber "Praxis Technology". Multiple cambers have been around on Mervin and Never Summer Snowboards for a long time. Now the entire snowboard industry has some variation of this technology, its a shame more ski companies dont try to do it. In addition, the first time we saw multiple cambers on a ski was at Alpine Meadows and a worker from Wagner had made this crazy wave with 8+ cambers going down his entire ski. We had been testing multiple cambers for awhile and yes, we released ours after Praxis. Anyway, we love what Keith and company are doing up at Praxis, they are always pushing design. Thats the best part about being in an industry with so many cool small ski companies. We can come up with an idea or another company can, then the industry looks at this design and thinks "How can I make this better?" and a new variation comes out. It creates healthy competition and makes ski designs better for skiers to enjoy the mountain in new ways.

This ski is for more than nostalgia....it became the Belafonte, which is still a charger, just not as intense. Every year we have people emailing and calling us asking us to bring back this ski. We thought this year would be a good time to bring it back for those people who wanted something more.
    Thanks for doing this

I wouldn't call Triple Camber "Praxis Technology".
    I should have included a a little in my first post. I was just messing around. In case you can't tell I'm pretty excited that you guys brought this ski back.