Thread: Best drone?

Best drone?

School me on drones. This footage is pretty dope, what do I need to film something like that?
    http://www.tetongravity.com/video/sk...do-backcountry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1440830019.633973.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	169149

Phantom 3 4kcam sweet shit pricey though

Thanks Skidog, Phantom 3 Pro looks like the ticket

I have the Phantom 3 Pro and it shoots amazing. That said, the SIA has come together and basically setup rules banning drones inbounds at resorts so expect some static if you try to use it at a resort.
    live the life.

oh yea, and you will need to get the DJI backpack if you want to ride with it. It need a little protection and the hard cases are not fun to ride with.
    live the life.

Seems like the DJI Phantoms are the way to go for the most part, but I've also used the 3DR IRIS+ and liked it. The benefit here is that you get you use a GoPro, saving you some cash if you already have one. If you are looking for an even easier out-of-the-box experience, I've heard good things about the Solo (again, you can use the GoPro you already own). But it is quite a bit more expensive.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

For me i saw the no go pro as a benefit. They are always unreliable for me and it is one more battery/settings/integration to deal with.
    live the life.

There is a good story about why go pro is not on the phantom line. I will say go pro was not happy.

Get the phantom 3 pro for a first one for filming, super easy and super fun for getting photos and videos in the beginning. It's got a stupid easy GPS mode that even your drunk GF could fly and not crash it. However if you want to get some good looking footage, better learn to fly it on full manual mode. That's how all the aerial photography guys do it, less chance for failure(besides pilot error..) and smoother camera control.

https://youtu.be/CMdtPs4xgfY

Could I sled to the bottom of a line, unpack it, leave it there then boot to the top and then use my phone to put it into follow mode once I'm ready to drop in?

It looks like Follow-Me tracking on a phantom 2 or 3 is via either your own programming, or additional app software. It doesn't look like it is standard on a Phantom though. Maybe you could pre-program the flight pattern before your flight. Not sure how you would start the drone remotely.

I have a Phantom 2 and have been having a blast flying it from a wakeboarding boat. I think the gps makes me feel more confident flying over water. I've built a few homemade tricopters that carry gopro, fly via fpv and only run in manual mode and really don't think I get better footage in manual mode than the phantom in gps mode considering the combination of the moving boat and the variable wind directions. I don't doubt it, but it's hard to think I would fly without gps enabled while getting aerial footage.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1440830019.633973.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	169149
    I think these might actually come with some kind of collision avoidance. Much better camera, too.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

This looks promising

They are taking pre-orders now.
    JMO - I personally would rather pay more to get a 2nd production run model.
    I've seen a number of these pop up on various crowd funding sights in the last two or three years, all making the same claims (ready to fly - easy to use - follow me function.
    However, most if not all have failed to deliver on their promise so far.

If you are searching for the best drones that will live up to your expectations then you can go with DJI Quadcopter.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point