Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    185 Nordica Enforcer at 98 under foot, but I don't seek out hard bumps any more.

103mm for everything. Ski avg 60-70 days a season at Alta.
    You gotta be in it to win it is what I always say. Some days, rare, that I want something slightly fatter. Usually when its firm under with light Utah blower on top, the 103 will bottom out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    Again, anyone who proposes a ski outside of 88-109mm is a kook!
    Check.

I use my praxis concept as my daily driver for east coast skiing; this includes a lot of really cold hard night skiing. I have a pair of volkl karma's that I recently had nicely tuned and tried to get back into them. There's no question that they're more appropriate/easier to ski on most days...I just find I have more fun on the concept, its fun to make smeary slides on hardpack and then get up on edge and rip a turn. I find it makes skiing really short flat conditions more interesting. Plus I don't come from any sort of racing background, so I will never get a boner over a perfectly carved turn.
    That being said I can't imagine I would ever recommend someone new to the game pick up a ski that wide for their one and only where I normally ski. I get weird looks almost every time I'm out. From the genuinely curious to the glaringly contemptuous.

Billygoats at 116 underfoot
    Perfect to go on a plane and chase storms. Bought highball as Rock ski from the crazy stp deal
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Shape matter a lot too obv but I find 100ish for daily driver works well in the east if shaped well for groomer slaying. Out west I can see the ~115 argument (again depending on shape). Tip width and rocker a factor to when dealing with chop and bumps. Dampness too for that matter. Width alone not the story is my point I guess. That and ski choice so driver specific.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    Depending on where you ski, 88-109mm wide at the waist is where you will find the best "daily drivers" for resorts. Anyone claiming otherwise is a delusional kook. I will argue this point until I'm blue.
    anyone who skis somewhere you don't need 120mm could be a delusional kook?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Explosives @ 95

I'd love to have some Kartel 98s though.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

G3 Manhattan, 108 underfoot. Skied at Solitude/Brighton last year, probably Alta for 15/16.

Best in ~6" of snow, but decent in anything except refrozen crud.

Explosiv was my daily ski for a long time. Finally got rid of my last pair a few years ago, just to ski something different, but those skis do it all.

Last year I mostly skied GS skis due to shitty conditions. Otherwise used DPS 99s and Hart Fuelie Boss (aka Super Bros - 90mm) a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

call me kooky too I guess
    Daily ski -4frnt Hoji /112 underfoot -great for the varying conditions at JH and I also have a pair mounted with dynafits for touring
    next thinnest skis are the Line Sick Day 110
    Then still hold onto my old school Rossi Stz for when it's more hardpack- although looking at those- they are also 110 underfoot (little kids are always stoked about these when I ski them)

ON3P Wrenegade 112. Front Range CO.

I'll be the first to say they would be a better daily driver if they were 4-5mm narrower, but they are fine as is. I personally chose them over the Wren 102 because the shape and flex are more to my liking.

100-110 seems ideal is you actually ski firm off-piste conditions regularly, but it's not so simple as choosing that width. Everything else about the ski matters too. My requirements are USA made, durable, stiff, 25m+ turn radius, 185-188cm length, camber underfoot, tip rocker, half twin. There's some other skis I'd like to try (notably the new metal laminate DPS Wailer 105) but overall the Wren fits that for me despite being a touch wider than "ideal."

I ski a Kastle FX 104. I think right around 100mm is good daily driver for terrain at Colorado ski resorts that most maggots like to ski.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

117 (Automatic) or 99 (Bonafide), depending on conditions
    Last edited by Big Steve; 08-27-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    How wide are your daily drivers these days?
    This question is kind of like asking TGR "How big is your penis these days?"

Remember guys, it's not the size that matters, but how you use it (or so I've been told...)

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    anyone who skis somewhere you don't need 120mm could be a delusional kook?
    You remind me that my passport just expired. Must take care of the admin work for a trip North of the border this Winter - some place where my 120 Megarides are a bit too narrow

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I skied my Mx108's in Aspen the most last year. But during the mid season dry spell I also spent a fair amount of time on GS boards.

Got a new pair of 184 Mx98's for this season.

95mm. I ski in the east, though (Magic).

Quote Originally Posted by sheldonm View Post
    This question is kind of like asking TGR "How big is your penis these days?"
    more like asking "How wide is your penis these days?

98-110 is typical for me. A few years ago went with 115-117 and that was fine, too. Next year I may try 112 or 113 because, you know, I haven't gone there yet.

Other attributes of the skis, like flex and rocker profile, are probably as important, if not more important, than width. But, you already knew that...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    I bought a pair of G3 Highballs that are 116 mm at the waist. I'm considering them to be pow skis, but I'm gathering that some are considering that width of to be suitable for an everyday ski out west. I recall when 90 mm was considered too wide for everyday use.
    You probably would have been better off getting red ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

105-108 has been my daily for the last 5 years. 90ish for hard snow/srping bumps and something stupid wide for powder rounds things out.

I skip the 105-180 for touring, just have something skinny and something wide.

I have two daily drivers depending on if it's soft out or firm. Although I can take either ski out on most days and be perfectly happy.

98mm - Blizzard Bonafide
    112mm - ON3P Wrenegade

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    more like asking "How wide is your penis these days?
    All about the girth

I use the Older 110mm underfoot ON3P Jeffrey at 181cm length as my only real resort ski in Summit County, CO. I've never really felt like I needed something else. The long turn radius makes it less than ideal for tight trees, but you can definitely whip it around and have fun. Highly recommend, and hear the new 114mm waist is even better.

Also, wider than approx. 105-110mm underfoot and skis start to feel really planky to me, and less useful as a daily driver.

Skis like DPS 112s and Rossi Super 7s or Squad 7s are about as large as I want to ski as a daily driver, but I want to have softer snow conditions to ski that sort of ski on a daily basis -- something softer than groomers and ice chunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.