Thread: 4k Monitors

4k Monitors

Who has one? Do you like it? Worth it?

I ordered a new desktop system to replace my barely functioning old laptop - X99 motherboard/I7 5850/Nvidia GTX 970/DDR4 etc and I was planning on hooking up to an older monitor my wife's parents had given us for the time being but upon unboxing and inspection I realize that it won't work because it is complete junk.

A couple of monitors I am looking at on Amazon.

Phillips$450
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Samsung $499
    Sketchy looking Upstar $349

Monoprice has their $400 28" 4k monitors back in stock at the moment. And it's monoprice, just return it if you're not happy.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

The quality of the panels nowadays seem to be really good, hell, even if compared to some high end panels 5 years ago.
    Used some 28" dells, 32" Samsungs (970?) panels and they look very good, even if you compare them to some Eizos 31" 4k monitors that cost 6k.

I ended up getting few months ago a sony 4k tv (850b?) and was really, really positively surprised by its quality. Hooked up a homebuild PC to it to do some pre-production
    photo selections/photoshopping when I am at home. Even if it is not a 4:4:4 panel (but 4:2:0) but after a bit adjustment I can get some good results. Of course, it is not calibrated
    to any pre-press standards but the amount of tweaking that has to be done there is quite minimal.

And on the plus side you can run some 4k games like GTA V, projectCars and whatnot while sitting one the sofa or check out some 4k shizzniz from Netflix etc.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I never game but my system does come with a free game because of the Nvidia card so yeah it'd be fun to try (my stepson would love) and 4k movies would rock. I think I about have myself talked into getting one if nothing else for looking at pictures without having to do so much zooming around. I just need to decide which one. Thanks for the linky DJSapp. I found that monitor and it looks pretty solid. I'm leaning Samsung because of screen brightness and HDMI 2.0 compatibility which my video card also has. I wish it were a year from now price wise.

Gaming with 4k is a bit bitch. Older games run quite well but with newer (GTA,Witcher etc) you need gtx970 in SLI or a clocked 980 to get decent frame rates, like +30fps.
    And SLI is a bitch to get to work, there is still some annoying issues. But even with 1080p upscaled things look good.

And oh, don't go below 28". It might sound silly but after you have had a bit more screen estate you learn to appreciate it. In smaller monitors you might even have some really
    annoying scaling issues with text as things don't necessary scale that well for some 24" monitors.

Get Arma3.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

AFAIK there is currently no 4K content for you to watch at home, other than a select few Youtube vids. I'll wait for the content to be there before buying.

Not sure if your cable providers will offer it since it's such a bandwidth suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    AFAIK there is currently no 4K content for you to watch at home, other than a select few Youtube vids. I'll wait for the content to be there before buying.

Not sure if your cable providers will offer it since it's such a bandwidth suck.
    Netflix, amazon prime and few other net based companies offer it and 4k UHD blue ray players should come out by the end of the year.
    4k is quite a big leap over the 1080p, just like 1080p was over SD materiel. There is obviously the problem tipp mentioned with the bandwidth, minimum
    for a 4k stream is something like 15/1 mb and upwards, depending on the codec.

So if you have a cable connection, you're fine.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I wouldn't do this now if I owned a decent monitor already but I don't so I ordered the Samsung 4k listed above. The free game I am getting is http://www.amazon.com/METAL-GEAR-SOL...tal+gear+solid . Looks pretty demanding looking at the system requirements but I don't know if it supports 4k. I doubt I'll be able to figure out how to play it well anyway. I'm just not a gamer. Maybe my stepson can teach me. I'm going 4k for pictures, video, and real estate.

Anyway thanks for the help. I have 50 mpbs service to my house but it seems like I only get 26 through my (new dual band) router to this antique laptop. Hopefully fast enough for what 4k content is available now. If my GTX970 lags I'll just add another one once the price comes down a bit since my MSI motherboard is all set up for multiple video cards. I really think the 980 would be extreme overkill right now for a guy who never plays games. I downgraded to the 970 to save $200.

The new puter and Samsung monitor finally arrived and I have to say that this thing is very nice. On Windows 10 there seems to be no issue with font sizes or anything like that. 4k videos are stunning. Looking at my pictures on this has given me a whole new perspective and I am sure it will change how I edit them...should keep me from overcropping everything.

My internet speed tests at 56 mpbs through wifi on this system and it seems fast enough to watch the 4k videos like this one.

Last edited by uglymoney; 09-16-2015 at 09:36 AM.