Henry's Lake stinks, literally. Teton River got probs too?

Henry's Lake is sick. People said it smells and the DEQ posted a warning today. So is the Teton, I fear. IMHO, the Teton has been noticably in decline for the last two years and the only theory I've heard that makes sense is the water quality is getting worse. Too much bacteria and algae. Is anyone else who has been fishing the Teton a lot over the last 5 years noticing that it's suddenly getting harder to find fish over 16"? Seems like the numbers of 16-20" fish has plummeted. It was noticable last season and this year its been downright obvious to me; the river's population of old fish is a fraction of what it was three years ago.

http://www.westyellowstonenews.com/n...707af795e.html
    Last edited by neckdeep; 08-21-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Henry's Algae bloom isn't all that surprising given that area didn't get a ton of water this winter and the warm spells we've had.

Folks who know the Teton a lot better than me have suggested that it has gotten more angling pressure than it can handle in the last 5 years contributing to its decline.

Heading high and East tonight for some fresh air and cold water.

The thing about the over-fished theory is that I fish some of the least accessible stuff. That doesn't get much pressure and because the hike and scramble to get in and out of the canyon is rough (to say the least), not many fish get harvested. This is where I've noticed the biggest drop-off in fishing quality; the areas where fish seldom get handled, let alone harvested. One would think that those sort of places provide a "control" population. I got first tracks in several places and got decent numbers (maybe a 20% decline in numbers) but few fish over 15" (maybe a 80%-90% decline in 16"+ fish). In the floatable sections of the canyon, there is black spot disease so there's almost no harvest of fish but those sections also seem to be in decline, in terms of larger fish. So I don't think its simply due to pressure. We had loads of pressure during the boom years and the fishing stayed great throughout. Pressure meant the fish got averse to big dry flies and bad presentations. I could always go to the nymph and still find plenty of large fish and fall fishing would confirm there were still lots of big fish lurking around, sick of looking at hopper imitations but willing to crush a small streamer. Not now. They aren't there in numbers anymore, as far as I can tell. Fishing in 2013 was good and electroshock surveys confirmed record fish counts that summer...WTF could have happened in just two years? We've had mostly high water years since 2007 and we have not had a truly scorching hot summer in 10 years. WTF? If there were folks going into my canyon beats and cleaning them out, I'd notice and I haven't seen it.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 08-21-2015 at 01:16 PM.

Doesn't surprise me. I left the Teton alone most of last year, (one day in the canyon), and no days this season yet. Been hearing the same about the river. Haven't heard any reports from H lake going back to close to the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Henry's Algae bloom isn't all that surprising given that area didn't get a ton of water this winter and the warm spells we've had.

Folks who know the Teton a lot better than me have suggested that it has gotten more angling pressure than it can handle in the last 5 years contributing to its decline.

Heading high and East tonight for some fresh air and cold water.
    We still haven't got out and you've been here for a while! Let's wet a line.

Late Sept my schedule opens back up, S fork streamer chucking float?

I'll row and bartend! Just got off dam to pac, only a four hour float with a beginner bud. Had to work hard to hook him into one, I pulled in 4, all small, but fun!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    I'll row and bartend! Just got off dam to pac, only a four hour float with a beginner bud. Had to work hard to hook him into one, I pulled in 4, all small, but fun!
    Sounds good. Wife and kids are headed outta town Sunday. We should get out and test our livers. I mean test out the water.

Headed over Pinedale way this weekend myself.

In!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Headed over Pinedale way this weekend myself.
    Was thinking the same on Sunday.

High temps + milfoil, trash fish overpopulating, food supply(hatches, sculpin marred by development and/or pollutants upstream?)....diseases often take their toll rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Was thinking the same on Sunday.
    Fishing was on the slow side for me but it was a hell of a lot less smokey and more pleasant.

Fishing was on the slow side for me but it was a hell of a lot less smokey and more pleasant.
    I ended up bagging the float I was planning on over there. Hit the snake with a novice angler buddy. He picked up countless twinkies. Turned some large cutties when we got into the canyon though. Smoke was better than the day before.