Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Radiation therapy at 90?

WTF Jimmy, going to torture yourself for the last few months/ years?

I don't get it.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

doctor needs a new 911
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Hyman Roth complex. Thinks he's gonna live forever?

Looks good, for a 90 year old with cancer. Sounds good, too.

The treatment will kill him, or make him very sick in his last days. His doctors are being very irresponsible, if it was their idea.

Honestly guys, since when did you all finish your Radiation Oncology specialty training? It's almost certainly being done with palliative rather than curative intent, with focused therapy to regions where the tumor/metastases themselves would cause more damage/morbidity than the radiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Honestly guys, since when did you all finish your Radiation Oncology specialty training? It's almost certainly being done with palliative rather than curative intent, with focused therapy to regions where the tumor/metastases themselves would cause more damage/morbidity than the radiation.
    This is a thread about cancer... please keep your thoughtfulness, compassion and lack of political ill will to yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Nothing worse then posting real, accurate and insightful information in a TGR thread.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

yeah, like you know anything about the subject.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Jimmy Carter knows a thing or two about radiation. In 1952 a Canadian nuclear reactor had a meltdown, and the U.S. Government sent troops to help put out the fire and decontaminate the facility. One of the members of the U.S. Military team was a young Naval Officer who would later become President, Jimmy Carter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chal...r_Laboratories
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Nothing worse then posting real, accurate and insightful information in a TGR thread.
    that's only for threads on house siding...

loved the Lukovich (sp) cartoon last week before this news came out, homeowner putting a campaign sign up in his yard....Jimmy Carter for cancer survivor...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

That makes sense I suppose. Effective?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    doesn't matter, the man still has a wiggle to his walk and a sparkle in his eye, he seems at ease with his decision. i don't think a man of his sanity is being bamboozaled by some quacks.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    doesn't matter, the man still has a wiggle to his walk and a sparkle in his eye, he seems at ease with his decision. i don't think a man of his sanity is being bamboozaled by some quacks.
    I blame Obamacare...fackin death panels
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    That makes sense I suppose. Effective?
    I hadn't updated on the on the latest news when I last posted, but have since read the reports on his latest press conference. Looks like he has melanoma, occult primary site, with liver and brain metastases. No mention of any other detectable disease, the liver lesion has been surgically removed and the brain lesions are tiny (I read 2mm, I think). Some mention of "slow growing" disease in the reports, as well. So reading between the lines, I imagine tightly focussed radiation is going to be used to "spot weld" the actual visible brain disease, perhaps with a lower blanket dose to the rest of the brain to try and sterilize any invisible brain lesions. This should hopefully be enough to check the spread of the brain disease without compromising brain function - at least not too much, though perhaps a bit trickier in a 90+ year old. If no other sites of disease, and as he is using a brand-new immune drug with a pretty good side-effect profile, I'd say his chances for remission and reasonable survival are not too bad. Absolute cure might not be in the cards, but prognosis isn't actually terrible. Melanoma treatment has come a long way since poor Plakespeare succumbed.

Jesus, he's fucking 90 years old!

I could see a young person, who may have both the physical and emotional strength for this, but, 90? Please. Fucking cancer industry. But that's why I have a health care ETF as 15% of my investments. Very profitable.

Yeah, when my mom was dying she had radiation that was not expected to cure her but shrink tumors enough to reduce pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

I could see a young person, who may have both the physical and emotional strength for this, but, 90? Please. Fucking cancer industry. But that's why I have a health care ETF as 15% of my investments. Very profitable.
    So what's the right number? Nobody over 89? Over 85? 80? 60? Slippery slope benny...

Tri thanks for the beta---and yeah, what an amazing change in treatments in the last decade, when i lost a great bud who had melanoma head for his brain. I know each case is different, but damn did he go down fast...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    So what's the right number? Nobody over 89? Over 85? 80? 60? Slippery slope benny...

Tri thanks for the beta---and yeah, what an amazing change in treatments in the last decade, when i lost a great bud who had melanoma head for his brain. I know each case is different, but damn did he go down fast...
    How old is Benny? 50? What's the point of being treated for cancer at 50...over half your life is over...why prolong the inevitable.

Who gives a fack if he gets treatment at 90...he's a former POTUS...are people expecting there to be no effort to prolong his life? GHWB just had a bunch of treatments to prolong his life as well, even though he's over 90...so how is this different?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

He probably knows that they have GPS in Italy though...

Fuck you nancies, I'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Fuck you nancies, I'll be fine.
    well played
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Well, it depends on the treatment. There's no way anybody would want to treat JC with what Plakespeare went through, but as I mentioned times have changed. New (super duper expensive, keep those healthcare ETFs going) meds are available that work way better than what we used to have, with a lot less toxicity. The drug they plan to use on Carter's melanoma (pembrolizumab) is one of these next-gen therapeutics and is more than likely safe, even in a 90-year old, especially a robust dude like Jimmy. As for the radiation, if they do it right, he should tolerate it fine as well. Still may not cure him, but will likely keep him going for a lot longer, with a much better quality of life, than not treating him.

boom.

Plus, he can afford it. Very important in Amerika.

Triangulate be like

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    boom.
    I think Benjamin actually got double boomed... he went back in with even more stupid after the first time Triangulate made it obvious he knew what the fuck he was talking about...