Page 26 of 290 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Wagon Stoke

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    From my limited research, wagons tow maybe 2500lbs. At this point I am thinking of buying a used Tahoe/Suburban for towing duties as I don't want to drive that kind of car on a daily basis
    So I have a van that does the heavy towing duties, the hitch on the wagon would only be used for:

Hitch bike rack - 90% of the time
    Towing 2 place sled trailer - a few times a winter
    Towing a raft/trailer - a few times a summer (maybe)

So mostly just as a convenience for a hitch rack...

EDIT, but I did find this which is pretty different/interesting. If the high end stereo option costs $3K this must be like $7K. Fuckin ridiculous...

Last edited by sierraskier; 03-28-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    I have to say though my brother and his wife owned a Cross Country and I believe it pretty much shit the bed a couple times with high $$ repairs as it got higher in the mileage (not obscene mileage, like over 100K).
    This happened to the only person I know who's owned a first gen XC70 wagon as well. Probably why I stopped paying attention to volvo.

Still, the newer ones have my attention right now.

FWIW when the wife wanted her 2015 XC70 T6 I brought the same doom and gloom stories to the dealer. Apparently many of those were confined to the first generation which stopped production in 2000, 17 years ago. Hell, the 3rd 'P3' gen started production in 2007, so I'm guessing if you're in the market for a XC70 that's less than 10 years old you'll be good.

Of course Eurowagons like any other import are going to have more expensive repairs when things do go wrong but that's hardly news.
    I still call it The Jake.

It was a great car, handled on rails, got 45 mpg when the ol lady drove, significantly less when I drove it. But VW had to be scandalous so now we are down to a truck and a large quiver of motos and bicycles.

Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Buyback?

Want to see something really depressing? One of the VW buyback dump centers is the abandoned Pontiac Silverdome (fmr home of the Lions) and the thousands of VWs waiting to figure out how they'll finally die. There's a bunch of these all over the US apparently.

That's a whole lot of abandoned.

Last edited by BmillsSkier; 03-29-2017 at 09:28 AM.

My wife donated to one of those lots. They just gave her back slightly over 30k for her 2014 Passat TDI. She now has a 2016 Highlander.

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    My wife donated to one of those lots. They just gave her back slightly over 30k for her 2014 Passat TDI. She now has a 2016 Highlander.
    [thread drift]
    ...which is the hilarious irony of Dieselgate - I'm in the same boat (waiting for final settlement up here in Canuckistan), and will be taking buyback and purchasing a larger vehicle (Highlander/Sienna). So I give back a highly efficient small diesel wagon (which granted was spewing out an "illegal" amount of NoX) and trading up to a much less efficient larger vehicle. As are my 4-5 friends who have Dieselgate VWs. The whole things seems so ridiculous as the overall increase in emissions (not to count the environmental cost of scrapping 500k+ VW vehicles (see picture of the Silverdome above)) will be waaaay more than letting the VW's stay on the road...
    [/thread drift]

[ontopic]
    I've looked at and really like the new Volvo's, but with 3 growing kids and need to pack crap and/or their friends and/or grandparents, the wagons are just not big enough and the XC90 is beautiful but $$$$...
    [/out]

We went from the 2015 GSW se tdi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 9.17.47 AM.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	548.5 KB 
ID:	203500

To this 2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon -- paid in full by the buyback after we covered our debt obligation.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 9.18.02 AM.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	476.7 KB 
ID:	203501

I do miss the VW. It was lovely to drive, got incredible mileage, but the financial incentives were too good to keep it around.

The XC90 can be had cheaper than the V90 cc, 52k vs 55k, and far as I can tell comes with more standard features. 45k vs 55k if you go with the less robust T5 engine on the XC90 which is not available on the V90. Can't tell why the wagon is the premium price point

Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    ...So I give back a highly efficient small diesel wagon (which granted was spewing out an "illegal" amount of NoX) and trading up to a much less efficient larger vehicle ....overall increase in emissions (not to count the environmental cost of scrapping 500k+ VW vehicles (see picture of the Silverdome above)) will be waaaay more than letting the VW's stay on the road...
    Irony indeed. I think it was an unintended consequence / gamble that people would take the 'cash and keep the car' option over the full buyback. My buddy did, and now owns the car outright with a few dollars left over. If he drives it into the ground, the ding in resale won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    The XC90 can be had cheaper than the V90 cc, 52k vs 55k, and far as I can tell comes with more standard features. 45k vs 55k if you go with the less robust T5 engine on the XC90 which is not available on the V90. Can't tell why the wagon is the premium price point
    I asked the dealer this the other day. He said it's purely market driven. Americans like SUVs and crossovers more than they do wagons. With the entire brand refresh he said Volvo wanted to capture as many customers both new and existing as possible and the way to do that was lead with the strongest hand - a completely (gorgeous) redone SUV, and make it affordable (given the luxury segment it's in).

The wagon is tradition and lower volume. They'll only stock V90 XCs on lots because they know given the choice, more Americans will opt for the lifted and cladded wagon over the 'order-only' V90. Which is too bad, because I really want to see a new V90 R in person.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Buyback?
    Yeah. It was a 2012 Sportwagon with a 6 speed. Probably the finest car I have owned. If we had owned it outright I would have taken the money, remapped the ecu and drove it till the wheels fell off. Now I am shopping for the nicest $4k wagon money will buy.

Any thoughts on the older VW Passat 4motion wagons?
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    It was a 2012 Sportwagon with a 6 speed.
    You rang?

Although SUV's are more practical because they hold and tow so much.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

The BMW e91 is awesome (I have one) but quite small and will be closer to $20k than $4K. A $4k passat will kill you on maintenance, I had a 2000 v6 5spd and it was at least $1k/year usually closer to 1.5k. For under 5k your best reliable option would be a matrix/vibe.

Yeah. It was a 2012 Sportwagon with a 6 speed. Probably the finest car I have owned. If we had owned it outright I would have taken the money, remapped the ecu and drove it till the wheels fell off. Now I am shopping for the nicest $4k wagon money will buy.

You are in matrix, Subaru, element country at that price point. A German at that price will kill you in maintenance.

4k subaru = 2k headgasket job waiting to happen

Points taken! Think I will open up the search window
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by carlhulit View Post
    4k subaru = 2k headgasket job waiting to happen
    Unless you can find a turbo that hasn't been obliterated by a bro or an old ej22.

Honestly, given what I know about the fugitive's hobbies, commute, and family situation, I would try to find an element in credible shape. Easy on maintenance, good to throw wet fishing gear in. The gas mileage sucks for a car that size with a 4 banger, but you probably don't care that much.

^^^^ the honda toaster is so underrated.

I was going to chime in on the Subaru idea as well. Unless you have the tools+ skills+space, that $4k subi is false economy.

3rd year of Toaster ownership here. Bought an 06 w 167k for a little under 8k. Maintenance in that time including repairs has been sub $500 (now at 184k). Have a 4'x5' bed in it with storage below. Camp in it a dozen times a year.

Going to send it in soon for some tlc at the dealer if I can't figure out a DIY tutorial. Love my Element & $/mile it's very inexpensive & comfortable.

Fwiw the engine is a de-tuned 1.6 with lower compression than the car variants. Shorthand for saying it's more reliable than their sedans, which are reliable already. It can even do 100mph downhill! Hoping to keep it for a long time. It's perfect for my dog, he has a bed in it full time

Bed in the back? An airbrushed wizard would really set it off.

Fwiw the engine is a de-tuned 1.6
    Gotta admit I don't understand your Element reference here. I thought they had 2.4 liter 4 bangers?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Gotta admit I don't understand your Element reference here. I thought they had 2.4 liter 4 bangers?
    That confused me too. Ours definitely had a 2.4, and Google sez they were never available with anything else.

wahhhhh

although it should be silver
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Buster, I read Audi is giving serious thought to bringing the RS6 Avant to North America. Talk about the car I have always wanted. That would inspire me to get off my lazy ass and work a bit. And ya, I want the blue one.

Name:	2014_audi_rs6_avant_64_1600x1200.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	341.0 KB 
ID:	203591
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.