Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Today's forecast for Okanogan:

Areas of smoke before 11am. Areas of blowing dust after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Windy, with a north wind 25 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph.

This is going to be a tough day in north central WA. Hope everyone stays safe up there. WA DNR is calling for volunteers to help fight the fires. First time in its history that it's done that. As bad as last year was with the Carlton Complex fire, I fear this year is going to surpass it by some magnitude. We need rain and there's none anywhere in the forecast. Vibes to everyone affected.

I heard the fire doubled in size overnight.

The photo gallery here is just heart wrenching....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Today's forecast for Okanogan:

Areas of smoke before 11am. Areas of blowing dust after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Windy, with a north wind 25 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph.
    The news this am said winds may be upwards of 50 mph sustained there. The fire is going to get much bigger before it gets better... I've contemplated heading to Colville this weekend to see if I can help out on that fire. I can't do much firefighting but I can push a shovel.

^^^ I was thinking the same thing. Any idea who to contact to volunteer? DNR?

http://www.khq.com/story/29847519/wa...with-firefight

OMAK, Wash. -
    The Washington State Department of Natural Resources needs your help.

For the first time in state history, the DNR is setting up temporary community resource coordination centers for those wishing to commit time or equipment to fighting the fires that are currently burning throughout the state.

DNR fire incident command posts and dispatch centers have been inundated with offers from citizens to help with firefighting efforts.

“If people want to help, we’d like them to contact our coordinators so we can work on getting them safely and appropriately involved,” said Commissioner of Public Lands Peter Goldmark. “We appreciate all offers of qualified and trained support. Safety for everyone is our highest priority.”

If you'd like to help, DNR is asking those offers to be directed to the temporary coordination centers in Colville and Omak to allow DNR officers to remain focused on fighting active fires. The centers will organize training sessions for those not currently qualified to serve on the fire line.

Beginning 7 a.m. Friday, Aug. 21, coordinators will review citizens’ offers for resources and direct them to where they can be most beneficial and without jeopardizing the safety of firefighters and the public. Even if a member of the public has sufficient credentials, deployment to a wildfire will depend on the availability of professional firefighter staff to accompany, direct, and ensure the safety of everyone concerned. The type of credentials that would be considered appropriate for a volunteer include “Red Card” firefighters and “Blue Card” equipment operators.

Centers are being established in two strategic locations, Omak and Colville.

For information on helping at the Omak center, contact Jay Guthrie at 360-826-2546 or email CRC.Omak@gmail.com.

If you're interested in helping near Colville, contact Julie Sacket at 509-675-7847 or email CRC.Colville@gmail.com.

Each station will be staffed during posted hours with DNR coordinators who will sign up volunteers and contractors, determine where their assistance will be of most help, and arrange training in wildfire safety, where appropriate. Phone messages and emails can be submitted and will be reviewed during hours the coordination centers are not staffed.

To expedite the processing service, potential volunteers should contact DNR coordinators at the above phone numbers or email addresses in advance with their desired role, existing fire qualifications, location, and contact information.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^ I was thinking the same thing. Any idea who to contact to volunteer? DNR?
    Yes, contact DNR. I have a few buddies headed that way.

Cool; thanks.

Thanks Bronco, I read that one yesterday. I just shot off an email before I just show up and get in the way...

Set things up at work. I'll head to colville sunday morning, if they have that fire under control I'll head to omak instead. Stay safe everyone!

ugh one of my besties lives in twisp always seemed like such a lush area so crazy for me to think it's burning
    stay safe out there mags

So much hubris, do people really think they(we) can do anything to control these fires? I live over here and deal with fire every year, there is loss of property and sometimes life every year. This year is worse than last but we can do nothing to control the situation. Containment lines have for the most part been useless. More untrained people getting trained will only take qualified people that may be able to mitigate some effects of the fires away from important jobs. If you are previously trained in wildland fire fighting or have a dozer or tender to offer for use, sure, join the "fight" otherwise you may put yourself and others in danger and will just be taking up space.

Snow is the only thing that'll put these out. The volunteers are used for shuttling crew and food and menial task such as those. Very very seldom do they put volunteers on the fire line.

^^Yeah, I think that's the idea - use volunteers as support staff so that the people trained to fight fire can do their job.

As more and more firefighters and military personnel show up to help the need for support personnel grows also. The idea that people who own heavy equipment (and are certified to operate it - they're not just accepting any dumbass and his D5) can help out also makes sense. You don't have to be a trained firefighter to doze/clear ground where you're told to.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    ^^Yeah, I think that's the idea - use volunteers as support staff so that the people trained to fight fire can do their job.

As more and more firefighters and military personnel show up to help the need for support personnel grows also. The idea that people who own heavy equipment (and are certified to operate it - they're not just accepting any dumbass and his D5) can help out also makes sense. You don't have to be a trained firefighter to doze/clear ground where you're told to.
    Most dozers on fires are just run by an operator following the direction of a trained Dozer Boss (doesn't apply in CA as much with the fleet of dozer CalFire has). Some have experience, many don't, but if you get an old time logger they can drive those things damn near anywhere.

Was thinking about volunteering as my fireline quals are probably still good.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Twisp/Winthrop evacuation

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    ugh one of my besties lives in twisp always seemed like such a lush area so crazy for me to think it's burning
    stay safe out there mags
    I doubt anyone who has lived in or visited Twisp would describe the area as lush. Definitely drier than normal this year though...

Hope your friend is doing OK in all of this!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Snow is the only thing that'll put these out.
    apparently that's what happened with the epic y'stone fires of 88 and was a -ahem- godsend
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_fires_of_1988

will be interesting to see how fire 'control' changes

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Cancel all overseas military efforts. Bring the soldiers home to help out on the home front.

Waking up to heavy smell of smoke and super thick skies in Lyman this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    stay safe out there mags
    You must have no idea about the location and climate of Twisp to call it lush. Typically all grass not irrigated is brown and dry by mid july. It's almost always ripe for a fire during the summer months.

This year, obviously is much worse than normal, but then, over here on the lush side, in bellingham our grass has been brown since june. That normally doesn't happen until august or September if at all.

~12 hour power outage last night in the Methow as a fire burned poles on the Loup Loup pass but power is back. Looks like the Twisp River fire is continuing to grow towards the northwest away from town. I haven't been to Omak for any of their fire but I'd imagine it's pretty grim over there. Supposedly Winthrop is now at level 2 rather than 3. Not positive though.

The smoke has a made its way down to Eugene-- super super hazy here. Thoughts go out to all affected. Just saw they had 3k volunteers show. If it was not for this three week old baby I'd like to think I'd go help. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1440290803.878317.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	169024

It's got way worse in the last half hour or so. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1440292862.766743.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	169025

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    You must have no idea about the location and climate of Twisp to call it lush. Typically all grass not irrigated is brown and dry by mid july. It's almost always ripe for a fire during the summer months.

This year, obviously is much worse than normal, but then, over here on the lush side, in bellingham our grass has been brown since june. That normally doesn't happen until august or September if at all.
    no actually only been there once but I guess I almost consider everything in WA to be lush relatively speaking. But really I was just trying to express some sorrow/ solidarity to the people there