Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    About discs in the pro peloton - wouldn't they be dangerous in a big pileup? Like that stage 3 crash in this year's Tour.

I can see somebody getting sliced open like a fish.
    No worse than a chain ring to the Achilles...

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    About discs in the pro peloton - wouldn't they be dangerous in a big pileup? Like that stage 3 crash in this year's Tour.

I can see somebody getting sliced open like a fish.

If it happened on a downhill, at least the heat would cauterize the wound.

Electronic shifting, the solution to a problem that doesn't exist. One of the (understated) beauties of the bicycle is that it is mechanical. My Ultegra has been shifting like butter for years. I'm still on my "old school" chain rings. Lot of my riding buddies are on compact set ups. I still don't feel like I am missing out on anything. Still on a 10 speed but 11 sounds good to me. Disc brakes? I don't feel like I am missing out on anything at this point. Still feel safer on alu wheels. Just don't see any real (to me) advantages of carbon rims, especially for the money.

Biggest change in the last few years that I've seen.... Taller socks and no gloves. Retarded.

I wouldn't wait around a year or three to see how all the latest shakes out. You can get pretty close, and killer deals, in the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    My road bike is circa 2002 -- a rebadged Lightspeed Arenberg. Was thinking about it while riding and wondering what's new in the world of road bikes since that era?

My bike: ti frame, carbon fork, threadless headset, full Ultegra STI 2x9 (except for FSA compact crankset I swapped in years ago; external bearing BB), Neuvation wheels.

I'd like disc brakes, because I've always hated road calipers. Other than that, what am I missing in the latest & greatest in dentist bikes? Tapered steerers, press-fit BBs, carbon frames/wheels, tubeless, through-axles, electronic shifting, 11-spd drivetrain?
    Carbon frames are the standard for a couple reasons:

1) they're cheaper (relatively, although you can also spend dentist $$ if you want)

2) they're more reliable than basically anything else (unless you hit it with a hammer, but don't do that to an AL frame either) - carbon doesn't suffer from metal fatigue and can be repaired in case of an accident. Repairing a damaged metal frame is expensive/difficult/not worth it.

New groupsets are amazing. Not just electronic ones - the current version of mechanical Dura-Ace is absolutely fantastic.

Wheel technology is much different. A set of 25mm wide carbon clinchers is a lot of fun to ride.

Disc brakes as the standard are almost here. Not quite but soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Electronic shifting, the solution to a problem that doesn't exist. One of the (understated) beauties of the bicycle is that it is mechanical. My Ultegra has been shifting like butter for years. I'm still on my "old school" chain rings. Lot of my riding buddies are on compact set ups. I still don't feel like I am missing out on anything. Still on a 10 speed but 11 sounds good to me. Disc brakes? I don't feel like I am missing out on anything at this point. Still feel safer on alu wheels. Just don't see any real (to me) advantages of carbon rims, especially for the money.

Biggest change in the last few years that I've seen.... Taller socks and no gloves. Retarded.

I wouldn't wait around a year or three to see how all the latest shakes out. You can get pretty close, and killer deals, in the secondary market.
    I missed the memo about tall socks, was there any the reason for adding them to the rules? Noticed that at a crit a couple weeks ago.

Why do I have some tall socks? Because they were two dollars a pair at the pearl izumi outlet near Portland
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I upgraded to ultegra 6800 brakes this year and noticed a big difference in stopping power relative to my prior ultegra 6700. I know it sounds stoopid, but it's legit and improves confidence at speed and in packs.

I think I'll just wait until road hydraulic discs have settled down in a year or three. Thanks for all the input though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

And.... bump.

Somebody convince me why I shouldn't buy this bike as a replacement for my old Litespeed. $2300 complete.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...brake-road.htm

Similar to what I have and like (ti frame, carbon fork), but with "improvements" from newer tech that was discussed earlier in this thread:
    - Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (post-mount, not flat-mount, but don't really care) w/ STI shifter/brake units
    - full Ultegra
    - cockpit parts are acceptable (not really picky about this, and I'll swap over a Brooks saddle anyway)
    - updated stuff: tapered steerer, through-axle F & R
    - old guy stuff that's probably better suited for me now: taller head tube (more upright), lower cassette gearing
    - traditional stuff that I like: threaded bottom bracket (not press-fit), external cable routing (no internal)
    - wheels look like best place for improvement: specs show Joy Tech hubs and straight gauge spokes. With through-axle hubs, though, they should be cartridge bearing anyway
    - carbon fork is no-name house brand

Google tells me that Motobecane's ti frames are all from a company called ORA, in Taiwan. Apparently they build for other brands too.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

And.... bump.

Somebody convince me why I shouldn't buy this bike as a replacement for my old Litespeed. $2300 complete.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...brake-road.htm

Similar to what I have and like (ti frame, carbon fork), but with "improvements" from newer tech that was discussed earlier in this thread:
    - Shimano hydraulic disc brakes (post-mount, not flat-mount, but don't really care) w/ STI shifter/brake units
    - full Ultegra
    - cockpit parts are acceptable (not really picky about this, and I'll swap over a Brooks saddle anyway)
    - updated stuff: tapered steerer, through-axle F & R
    - old guy stuff that's probably better suited for me now: taller head tube (more upright), lower cassette gearing
    - traditional stuff that I like: threaded bottom bracket (not press-fit), external cable routing (no internal)
    - wheels look like best place for improvement: specs show Joy Tech hubs and straight gauge spokes. With through-axle hubs, though, they should be cartridge bearing anyway
    - carbon fork is no-name house brand

Google tells me that Motobecane's ti frames are all from a company called ORA, in Taiwan. Apparently they build for other brands too.
    The wheels on BD bikes are almost always a weak spot. So yeah, if you care about that and don't want to have to buy new wheels right after buying a new bike, that's a strike against. I think the main argument against BD bikes though is the resale value, or lack thereof. If you know you'll like it and will run it for lots of years, then it's a non-issue.

Before you buy ... just have a look at what you can get used. $US2300 is $CAD3000

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?category=26

^^^ That.

I love my 2013 Roubaix SL2 that I picked up a year ago used for $800 with full Ultegra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

From a thread from a week or two ago; watch this, and then re-think buying a bike with a generic carbon fork that's sole purpose is to look fancy and be as cheap as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qsLYlVWkbQ

Thanks all. Some stuff to consider.

Some comments:

- wheelset - I currently have a set of carbon Easton EC70 Trail wheels on a 29er, which are on the narrow side - only a bit wider than the stock WTB rims on that Motobecane. Could swap those over...

- generic fork: true. Something to think about. Mrs C has survived riding a similar generic carbon fork for years on her road bike.

- used bike: possibly. But local options aren't plentiful. And I'm not buying a used bike online, sight unseen.

- Specialized: no way. Litigious assholes.

Yeah I wouldn't have sought out a Specialized for sure, but it was a screaming deal on a bike that had clearly been babied by a retired, lightweight roadie. No brainer.

I hear you on the local market in your hood. Obviously tons of options down here. My seller lived in Aptos and we met in San Jose when I was down there for other reasons on a random weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    ^^^ That.

I love my 2013 Roubaix SL2 that I picked up a year ago used for $800 with full Ultegra.
    I have a 56cm SL3 for sale. $1400: this model, https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-compact/35185 in black

Yes, I know, Specialized, but it rides like I imagine a Ferrari would drive. I just don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by roadgap View Post
    Carbon frames are the standard for a couple reasons:

1) they're cheaper (relatively, although you can also spend dentist $$ if you want)

2) they're more reliable than basically anything else (unless you hit it with a hammer, but don't do that to an AL frame either) - carbon doesn't suffer from metal fatigue and can be repaired in case of an accident. Repairing a damaged metal frame is expensive/difficult/not worth it.

New groupsets are amazing. Not just electronic ones - the current version of mechanical Dura-Ace is absolutely fantastic.

Wheel technology is much different. A set of 25mm wide carbon clinchers is a lot of fun to ride.

Disc brakes as the standard are almost here. Not quite but soon.
    Toast beat me to it, but, if I were you, I'd watch this video before telling everyone that carbon is so durable and safe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-qsLYlVWkbQ

Problem is that carbon can be close to a catastrophic failure at some point, and you wouldn't know it until it's too late. About five years ago, a club rider on Long Island died when the front f his new Orbea just collapsed under braking at a stop light, and he took an unfortunate tumble over the bars onto his head. I don't worry about that at all on my steel rigs, and, as the man says in the video, steel will bend before it breaks, so, you have a warning. As far as carbon rims, watch the other videos this guy did with the same repairman on that subject. No way I would own a carbon rim after watching that, unless I had disc brakes, and that ain't happening. I know how to stop. I'm pretty convinced that the big push for disc brakes is just a way to promote sales of carbon rims, therefore, convincing people that they need a whole new expensive bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I have a 56cm SL3 for sale. $1400: this model, https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-compact/35185 in black

Yes, I know, Specialized, but it rides like I imagine a Ferrari would drive. I just don't ride it.
    Very stoked to see that this is not a 58. great buy.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Road bikes: what's new in the last decade?

Thanks all. Some stuff to consider.
    - generic fork: true. Something to think about. Mrs C has survived riding a similar generic carbon fork for years on her road bike.
    Does Mrs. C ride like you? Mrs. P is a fit strong athlete for a 115 pound woman, but I have 60 pounds of strong man-flesh on her, and think it's fun to pass cars on curvy downhills. I immediately traded up to an ouzo pro on my bike.

Edit to add:
    I kinda want to upgrade my DEAN Ti similar set-up bike as well. Mostly I want to get wider tires, but that means new fork, which means disk, which means new frame...so I wait.

It really goes back to:
    "It ain't the horse, it's the cowboy"
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

And... bump again.

Just bought this leftover GT Grade Ultegra:
    https://www.backcountry.com/gt-grade...bcs_DDM54-2_M1

Geometry is what I'm more-or-less looking for. Parts spec is nice - full Ultegra, hydraulic disc brakes, and Praxis conversion BB to deal with stupid pressfit design.

$2449 - 12% Active Junky CB today = $2155 + shipping.

Ten pound bikes are new. That's ten pounds all inclusive. But that's sort of meaningless in competitive circles because the minimum weight for a race bike is still mandated at 15 pounds. Still, I would love to take a ten pounder out for a spin....expensive af, though!!

Disc brakes....hmmm...dunno. Seems it would lower your CG a bit, but maybe not enough to make a difference. A good, well maintained Dura Ace or Ultegra will stop you just fine. I don't see the point, except maybe for longggg downhills. Weight difference?

Electronic wireless shifting is supposed to be all the shit nowadays. $$$$ But again, a well lubed Dura Ace shifting system is first rate...and no electronic *ghosts" to befoul the system. But everyone I've talked to that has gone electronic won't go back for anything, so there's that.

Tires....it's true that tires are going from ,23 to 25 for a lot of folks....at least for training and fun riding. But I don't see the point of not training on what you race on. I won't be trading my 23s at all. Tubeless? Mehh....haven't tried them. Because roadbike tire pressures are so high, maybe tubeless would be really good because no worry about losing the bead due to low pressure like happens on a MTB tubeless sometimes. If they would decrease the number of flats due to small hazards like bits of car tire steel wire (my biggest bain, roadriding!!!!) and glass slivers, I'd invest in a set of tubeless! Myself, I would love to see more research on a good non-pneumatic tube and not the crap presently out there. There's gotta be SOMETHING that would be 100% no flat. Gel filled, maybe??? Of course gel is much heavier than air, but still....

My own main roadbike is a full titanium frame with all Dura Ace component group, carbon forks, Chris King headset, 11 sp cassette with Mavic Cosmic wheels. Depending what pedals I use, it weighs in at about 16.5 lbs. I can't really see the point in spending additional thousands to save a pound and a half, and titanium rides SMOOOOTH....really smooth, so I won't be doing any trade-ins any time soon.

Another interesting trend in the last ten years... More people avoiding road riding with the increased number of distracted drivers from calling/texting/playing with cellphones. It definitely freaks me out, and if given the chance, I'd opt for a dirt/gravel ride any day over a busy road.