Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    One trip we flew in to Edinburgh, stayed in town a few days (just because I love that city) and then rented a car and drove up to the Whiskey Trail region. So if that is what your after, Inverness could work. We stayed at little B&Bs and I kind of remember staying in Dufftown at a B&B where the proprietors wife was a gourmet cook and he had an incredible selection of Scotch. I wish I could remember the place for you, as it was central to a bunch of distillery's and we had several days fun in the area before driving down to Oban on the west Coast. As other have suggested, Scotland rules. I thing no matter what you decide on you will have a great time.
    Yeah, either way I am pumped. I guess the question is with only a few days to explore, are the Northwest Highlands more awesome than the Grampian Mountains, or is that even a fair comparison as both areas are unique and badass in their own way. The more research I do, the better the west coast of Scotland is starting to look and Fort William might be more my style than Inverness as a smaller town. Fort William has some great looking mountain biking and reasonable rental rates, but I am not sure if I would want to spend a day doing that versus just exploring as much as possible (I almost feel the need to cross post this in the first world problems thread).

If you like crystal, the Waterford factory and store is pretty cool. I heard they are back to producing in Ireland again.

Cliffs of Moher from the Doolin side is a great hike. Pretty much everything in Ireland is private land, but there are no trespassing issues, so you just walk out the roads and trails (leave gates as you find them). Finding doleman(sp?) in the Burren is cool if you like that kind of thing. Good surfing at times around Doolin. Drink and eating in every pub you get a chance too...best part of Ireland IMO. Lots of great old church ruins (Cromwell was a real ass.) Drive the old military road in south eastern Ireland, barely one lane wide, but two way traffic so pay attention, but amazing views.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by PaDuKa View Post
    Yeah, either way I am pumped. I guess the question is with only a few days to explore, are the Northwest Highlands more awesome than the Grampian Mountains, or is that even a fair comparison as both areas are unique and badass in their own way. The more research I do, the better the west coast of Scotland is starting to look and Fort William might be more my style than Inverness as a smaller town. Fort William has some great looking mountain biking and reasonable rental rates, but I am not sure if I would want to spend a day doing that versus just exploring as much as possible (I almost feel the need to cross post this in the first world problems thread).
    6 of one...

(for any wandering, just be very careful with your calculated transit times to see how it all fits, it's not a big place, but the connectivity isn't superhighway-like...as someone posted above, you want a little time to actually enjoy where you are, not be in a constant rush)

A few days anywhere just isn't enough. Pick an area, have fun exploring and hopefully come back in a few years for a few weeks. Like I said, we have been to Scotland a few times, because we love it there. Once the wife retires, a summer(s) over there is definitely on the bucket list.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Great little eatery right across from the Harbor Master`s office in Kinsale. Not sure of the name but it was tastey. Warning....do not try to add avocado to anything while in Ireland unless your willing to shell out an extra $5.

Kinsale & the surrounding area are awesome. We just did a day drive from Cork down to Kinsale out to Old Head (really cool little Lusitania memorial) then on to Timoleague (awesome 6th or 8th century friary) then to Clonakilty for ice cream before heading back to Cork. Was a great day trip. walked through all the little towns & cemetery`s, beach time, food, drink. yeah i need to go back
    Snow Flake Killer

I used to live in Dublin and have spent a considerable amount of time in Ireland. Yogachik's Glendalough recommendation is spot on. It's an easy drive down from Dublin with plenty of history and scenery packed into a very small area.

A few others in no particular order:
    -Head out to Houth, seaside town 25 minutes outside of Dublin, for some great fresh seafood
    -Cliffs of Moher / loop through The Burren on the drive back
    -Drive north from Galway and hike Croagh Patrick. No shoes for the true pilgrims
    -Achill Island. It's north of Galway but less "touristy" than the Aran Islands
    -Some of the best restaurants when I was there were in the Ranelagh neighborhood of Dublin. Go see my friends at the Barge and catch a GAA game

As far as car rentals go, I've always rented through Hertz. My old company used to have a great CDP which made the rentals dirt cheap. Beware though as many of the credit cards exclude Ireland from their insurance policies. The roads, especially out in the country, are extremely narrow, which means that you could very easily rub against some brush and scratch the side of your car if you're not careful. The rental companies there will ding you for the slightest damage so make sure that you go over the car thoroughly before you pick it up. I can't tell you how often I was picking up/dropping off a car at DUB and while some sort of haggling between renter and rentee was occurring.

...and manual transmissions are much cheaoer. BUT, they are right hand drive, so the shift g is very different. I adapted quickly, but between that and driving on the WRONG side of the road took a little getting used to. I quite enjoyed diving, but it was different.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

...and yes, Irish roads are shit. there is about six miles of actual freeway near Dublin, and the rest are barely two lanes. most considerably less. Very third world roads. Rent a very small car.

iscariot

Ireland/Scotland Trip Recs

When driving from Galway to Doolin, you should check out The Burren. It's kind of a highlands type area with some really cool history. About 1hr south of Galway there is a town called Ballyvaughan (sp?). The road heading east and up the hill from there will get you up into the Burren. A nice place to get lunch in Ballyvaughan is Monk's Pub. Seafood stew, brown bread and a Guinness will do ya right.

Also, just north of Ballyvaughan, turn off of n67 and drive out to New Quay and the Flaggy Shore. There is an amazing seafood pub, Linnanes. The fishermen are pulling everything off their boats about 15ft away.

And some time make the time to drive out west
    Into County Clare, along the Flaggy Shore
    In September or October, when the wind
    And the light are working off each other
    So that the ocean on one side is wild
    With foam and glitter, and inland among stones
    The surface of a slate-grey lake is lit
    By the earthed lightning of a flock of swans,
    Their feathers roughed and ruffling, white on white,
    Their fully grown, headstrong-looking heads
    Tucked or cresting or busy underwater.
    Useless to think you'll park and capture it
    More thoroughly. You are neither here nor there,
    A hurry through which known and strange things pass
    As big soft buffetings come at the car sideways
    And find the heart unlatched and blow it open.

PostScript by Seamus Heaney
    Last edited by flowtron's ghost; 08-14-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ...and yes, Irish roads are shit. there is about six miles of actual freeway near Dublin, and the rest are barely two lanes. most considerably less. Very third world roads. Rent a very small car.
    Dumb question, but is the clutch still on the same side, i.e. left foot?

Dumb question, but is the clutch still on the same side, i.e. left foot?
    yeah, it's laid out the same...just the whole shebang is on the wrong side of the car
    shift pattern on the stick was also left to right on the car I last rented (but under my left hand, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    When driving from Galway to Doolin, you should check out The Burren. It's kind of a highlands type area with some really cool history. About 1hr south of Galway there is a town called Ballyvaughan (sp?). The road heading east and up the hill from there will get you up into the Burren. A nice place to get lunch in Ballyvaughan is Monk's Pub. Seafood stew, brown bread and a Guinness will do ya right.

Also, just north of Ballyvaughan, turn off of n67 and drive out to New Quay and the Flaggy Shore. There is an amazing seafood pub, Linnanes. The fishermen are pulling everything off their boats about 15ft away.

And some time make the time to drive out west
    Into County Clare, along the Flaggy Shore
    In September or October, when the wind
    And the light are working off each other
    So that the ocean on one side is wild
    With foam and glitter, and inland among stones
    The surface of a slate-grey lake is lit
    By the earthed lightning of a flock of swans,
    Their feathers roughed and ruffling, white on white,
    Their fully grown, headstrong-looking heads
    Tucked or cresting or busy underwater.
    Useless to think you'll park and capture it
    More thoroughly. You are neither here nor there,
    A hurry through which known and strange things pass
    As big soft buffetings come at the car sideways
    And find the heart unlatched and blow it open.

PostScript by Seamus Heaney
    Great suggestions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    yeah, it's laid out the same...just the whole shebang is on the wrong side of the car
    shift pattern on the stick was also left to right on the car I last rented (but under my left hand, of course)
    Paduka, the biggest challenge for you will be the column stalks for turn signal vs windshield wipers. Be prepared for unintentional wiper action when u r about to turn. Also every now and then you'll end up with a French car....with ergonomics designed by the criminally insane. My mom's Peugot had the horn activation on a tiny button on the end of a column stalk. Some shithead pulls out in front of you, you wrench the wheel to the left, and fumble around trying to alert the idiot with your horn.

If you want a good warm up read about traveling around Ireland, find "Pint Sized Ireland", can't remember the author, but a funny read with lots of good tips of places to visit, and pints to drink.

iscariot

Tons of great food in Dublin. The Pigs Ear was good. If you like beef pie the Beef and Guinness Pie at The Bull and Castle was pretty impressive.

Croagh Patrick outside of Westport (where the worlds supply of Botox is made...yeah...weird) is a lovely little hike and gives a spectacular view.

The Crane Bar for a quiet place with a great trad (traditional music) session, I was there one night with 25 people playing, incredible. Rest of Sea Rd has lots of amazing restaurants too.

The Burren is spectacular, really spectacular. One of the most beautiful evenings looking down at the ocean I've ever had. If you want to bring over shoes I can Google maps you an absolute bouldering paradise a few feet from the sea, rocks tossed around like dice whenever a storm comes in.

Try and catch a GAA (Gaelic football) or Hurling match, that'll give you a perspective of the country tourists don't get.

If you REALLY want to see the Irish living and dying by sport, head to Thomond Park in Limerick/Stab City. Paul O'Connell is gone but that place lives Munster like nowhere else in the world lives anything else.

I'll 3rd Glendalough then up over Sally Gap into Dublin. There is a little place with lovely soup, you'll spot the 15 road bikes outside of it when you leave Glendalough, hit Laragh and turn left up towards Sally Gap.

In Dubs BUNSEN BURGER. Who the fuck woulda thought a simple burger (medium is best btw) could be so damn good. With a milkshake. living Social usually has amazing restaurants on for 50% off for 2 people. Best meal I ever had was at Citron I. The Fitzwilliam Hotel for 60% off.

Pubs kehoe's off Grafton, Long Hall on St George's, Toners on Upper Baggot. Hartigans on Upler Leeson is a personal favourite, but it is definitely not a 'nice' pub. Best pistachio gelato of your life, I'm not joking, Sweet Noche off grafton, forget Book of Kells and have a drink at the Pav at Trinity instead if its a sunny warmish evening. Don't do the Guiness Storehouse, go for a walk around the west end of Temple Bar/Essex St Cows Lane up into the Liberties, then the Irish Mus of Modern Art and Kilmainham Gaol instead. National Photographic Archive is free and really the single best thing to see, some of the exhibits are crap, but most are incredible.

The best pint of Guiness in Dublin after 4 years of living there is Mulligans on Poolbeg St.

Take the Dart train out to Hoath and do the round the head walk with some fish chowder to finish ya off.

And just remember the only thing that separates man and beast is the River Liffey!
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Crane Bar is in Galway.

Best fancy drink with a view in Dubs is The Dean rooftop bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.