Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Greg: how is the ramp and fwd lean on the Khion compared to the Vulcan/Merc (in the more-upright lean position)? Also: regarding fit, are the heel pockets roughly the same between the Khion and Vulcan/Merc? I like the Vulcan, but if I could get something with a bit more progressive flex, that'd be great! I appreciate your insights in this and other threads.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I'd say it's in between the two Vulcan lean positions (and I don't think there is a way to change the lean). Progressive? It would take someone bigger than me to make that call with the Khion Carbon, it is frickin' stiff. The MS model, though, definitely feels more progressive than the stock Mercury did.

I spent the afternoon trying on Cochise 120 and 130 Pro, and Mtn Lab all in 26.5. For a carpet test, the Mtn Lab was the stiffest in flex. The fit was (for me) similar to the Cochise 120 everywhere (including instep) except the toes, where the Mtn Lab was much pointier (as has been mentioned before) but had more length and similar height. BSL on the Mtn Lab was 301.

The Mtn Lab had the best feel for me overall, but for width at the toes. I would need some pretty major punching - any feedback on punching these yet? Walk mode and its ease of use was pretty amazing.

If I can't fix the toes on the Mtn Lab, I will go for the Cochise 120. The 130 was too snug overall (including instep). FYI - Vulcans don't work for me at all, and my normal boot is a 26.5 Pinnacle 130 (100 last) with a fair bit of widening, and they are very tight on my instep.

Khion vs Merc vs Vulcan vs Mtn Lab vs Maestrale RS

Quote Originally Posted by Devo21 View Post
    I spent the afternoon trying on Cochise 120 and 130 Pro, and Mtn Lab all in 26.5. For a carpet test, the Mtn Lab was the stiffest in flex. The fit was (for me) similar to the Cochise 120 everywhere (including instep) except the toes, where the Mtn Lab was much pointier (as has been mentioned before) but had more length and similar height. BSL on the Mtn Lab was 301.

The Mtn Lab had the best feel for me overall, but for width at the toes. I would need some pretty major punching - any feedback on punching these yet? Walk mode and its ease of use was pretty amazing.

If I can't fix the toes on the Mtn Lab, I will go for the Cochise 120. The 130 was too snug overall (including instep). FYI - Vulcans don't work for me at all, and my normal boot is a 26.5 Pinnacle 130 (100 last) with a fair bit of widening, and they are very tight on my instep.
    FWIW, Larry (of Larrry's bootfitting) owns a pair of MTN Labs and considers them noticeably softer than the Cochise 130 (but a better fit). Did you crank that upper buckle powerstrap? That dramatically changes the flex. Could just be the carpet test difference too though. But yeah, its in a different touring league. Curiously, the fit is supposedly much different - especially in the heel.

There is a pair with my name on them, but they are not in my hands yet. I'll post here as soon as I've had a chance to work on them, sounds like they fit you much like they fit me.

.....except the toes, where the Mtn Lab was much pointier

.. but for width at the toes. I would need some pretty major punching ....
    Huh. Glad to know I'm not crazy.
    I made similar observation in a different thread last spring after trying a pair on. I felt toe box was very narrow and pointy. Seem to recall I was told then my feet were wierd and I was wrong.

Gregl - look forward to info on ease of modifying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    FWIW, Larry (of Larrry's bootfitting) owns a pair of MTN Labs and considers them noticeably softer than the Cochise 130 (but a better fit). Did you crank that upper buckle powerstrap? That dramatically changes the flex. Could just be the carpet test difference too though. But yeah, its in a different touring league. Curiously, the fit is supposedly much different - especially in the heel.
    It was my first time in a Cochise, and I didn't crank the power strap - I will do that next week when I try them again and report.

Anyone skied the Vulcan and the Factor MX 130? Been really happy with my MX's but am curious how they compare head to head.

Anybody know how the MTN Explores ski versus the MTN Labs? Labs sound like a good fit for me, but probably stiffer than I need/want, so if Explores are just a softer-flexing version, that would be cool, but I'm hoping they're not shorter-cuffed or lacking in lateral or rearward support or anything weird like that. Not too worried about a small weight savings or extra ROM.

Looks like Blister laid down a solid review of the MTN Lab, http://bit.ly/1NWcpzv. Flex sounds progressive, and wax reviewed by a heavier dude saying a stiffer version isn't really needed. Also sounds like the new Lange XT 130 is even more progressive and smooth, though I doubt it's as light - I'd think it belongs in the "Beef" boot category with the Cochise 130, etc.
    I'm very interested to see how the Khion stacks up against all of these.

Very nice review of the Atomic Backland Carbon and MTN Lab in this Newschooler's review...quite in depth.

http://www.newschoolers.com/news/rea...eoEAYVKaMzS.97
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Very nice review of the Atomic Backland Carbon and MTN Lab in this Newschooler's review...quite in depth.

I have tough time taking a guy who's reviewing touring boots seriously when he doesn't trust tech bindings.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

wow, quite an exhaustive review of the two. thanks for the link.
    style matters...

An interesting takeaway from the newschooler's review was the reviewer's comparison of one year old Dynafit Mercuries (guessing with tongue) with the Mtn. Labs; skiing one boot of each boot on different feet, head to head.

"My first few runs were using the Explore skis with the Wardens to see if I could notice any differences skiing. In all honesty they felt very similar. The forward flex felt nearly identical, the Mercury felt a little stiffer laterally but the MTN Lab felt more solid backwards in the cuff, however some of this was to do with the Mercury's being about a season old.

I would be hard pressed to tell the difference if I did not know which boot was on which foot, so the downhill performance was pretty evenly matched..."

interesting....
    Master of mediocrity.

So I got the Mtn Labs. I usually ski a 26.5 boot, but I ended up with a 27.5. The larger size gave me much more room in the toes and forefoot - I have cooked the liner, but not touched the shell for now.

I will ski them this weekend and report back.

An interesting takeaway from the newschooler's review was the reviewer's comparison of one year old Dynafit Mercuries (guessing with tongue) with the Mtn. Labs; skiing one boot of each boot on different feet, head to head.

"My first few runs were using the Explore skis with the Wardens to see if I could notice any differences skiing. In all honesty they felt very similar. The forward flex felt nearly identical, the Mercury felt a little stiffer laterally but the MTN Lab felt more solid backwards in the cuff, however some of this was to do with the Mercury's being about a season old.

I would be hard pressed to tell the difference if I did not know which boot was on which foot, so the downhill performance was pretty evenly matched..."

interesting....
    Yes, after reading so much gushing ( in this review and elsewhere) how the Mtn Labs ski like an alpine boot, to have them described as comparable to year old Mercuries in a boot to boot test (which should be done more) was shocking. I love my Mercuries as a touring boot, and I'll occasionally ski them in the resort, but I would never confuse their skiing performance with a real alpine boot. Either the NS reviewer is an articulate and detailed imposter (skiing wise) or the Salomons aren't the boot these reviews are claiming. It also seems unlikely that the NS reviewer actually toured in the Mercuries with the tongues out (or did any real touring beyond wandering around taking selfies on a cat road) as the ROM of the Mercuries sans tongue is well beyond the biomechanical limits of my ankle, and his claiming better touring performance for the Salomons seems like more BS.

Agreed. Not much faith in the NS review.

Pretty sure I would be able to tell by the constant instep pressure on the Mercury side, but I sold them . . .

Another rave review of the MTN Labs on Blister...

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...-lab-at-boot-2

Dynafit Beast Compatibility?

Probably read through the thread three times in search for an answer, but to no good.

Have there any reports regarding the MTN-labs compatibility with the dynafit beast bindings? Since almost every other Salomon boot has have problems with that before

Can someone give me the BSL for a 27/27.5 Khion?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Can someone give me the BSL for a 27/27.5 Khion?
    My test pair's up in whistler. Give me a week and I'll let you know. Seem to recall it was exactly the same as my Vulcans as I didn't even have to adjust my Dynafits to run them but don't hold me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    My test pair's up in whistler. Give me a week and I'll let you know. Seem to recall it was exactly the same as my Vulcans as I didn't even have to adjust my Dynafits to run them but don't hold me to it.
    Just had an email from Dynafit saying a 27/27.5 Khion has a 310mm BSL (v 304mm for a Vulcan/Mercury).

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Just had an email from Dynafit saying a 27/27.5 Khion has a 310mm BSL (v 304mm for a Vulcan/Mercury).
    Ah OK. Early onset Alzheimer's. Or too many boots to test

Khion vs Merc vs Vulcan vs Mtn Lab vs Maestrale RS

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Ah OK. Early onset Alzheimer's. Or too many boots to test
    No, it's dementia. 😜

In the interim, very interested to read the khion and new Vulcan review as well as MTN labs if you get them.