Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
    Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    EU43-ish. Ended up with a 27 in this years Cochise. Anyhow, I think part of the reason is that the Cochise had changeable sole blocks.
    Interesting. I'm coming from the 26.5 version of the Pro Lite but have a similar size foot to you (somewhere between a US 9.5-10/EU 43/44ish) and it is a performance fit. Trying to see if going with a 27 (311) vs a 26.5 (301) may be a better idea for the MTN lab.

My Cochise Pros are 300 and my MTN Labs are 291. Interior length seems similar.

Skate ski boots are 42's. but my feet are way fucked up due to serious changes from frostbite many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    My Cochise Pros are 300 and my MTN Labs are 291. Interior length seems similar.
    Really? I'm trying to order these through my shop since they don't carry em and don't want to order the wrong size.

Hm. I may size up since the 26.5 cochise is a VERY performance fit for me and caused toe jam last time touring.

Damn.

My assessment is far from definitive. But, just for fun (and because I am bailing on skiing today due to below zero temps) I just compared the liners of the two boots. They are damn close to equal in their exterior length, and if anything the MTN Lab is a mm or 2 longer (again, outside of the liner). Sure seems they are similar in length.

But the toebox of the MTN lab feels narrower. I think the mid foot area may be narrower on the Cochise, but that is just how they feel to me. I have no measurements or data on this.

My assessment is far from definitive. But, just for fun (and because I am bailing on skiing today due to below zero temps) I just compared the liners of the two boots. They are damn close to equal in their exterior length, and if anything the MTN Lab is a mm or 2 longer (again, outside of the liner). Sure seems they are similar in length.

Hm. Thanks

LeeLau or anyone else have some input?

MTN lab on left, Cochise Pro on right. When I tilt them to touch bottoms of liner at the toe the MTN Lab seems just barely longer. I have no idea if this proves anything as I've heard of boot companies using liners that are a tad too short at times.

Yeah, I see that. I'm just torn between sizing up to a 27 or staying at a 26.5 and I haven't had the chance to check out a 27 yet nor will I any time soon.

Buy both and return one?

Buy both and return one?
    My shop is ordering them for me, but since they don't stock them they don't want to order two :/

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    My shop is ordering them for me, but since they don't stock them they don't want to order two :/
    your shop sucks. So many Internet sales points will gladly do this. Surely they will be able to move the other pair, we're talking about a marketable boot in one of the 3 most common sizes out there. Stuff like this is why people are moving away from brick and mortar.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    your shop sucks. So many Internet sales points will gladly do this. Surely they will be able to move the other pair, we're talking about a marketable boot in one of the 3 most common sizes out there. Stuff like this is why people are moving away from brick and mortar.
    I don't live in an AT-heavy area, the likelihood of them moving it is slim to none to be honest. I can understand why they don't want to pick something up they won't move.
    Last edited by nyskirat; 12-18-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Khion vs Merc vs Vulcan vs Mtn Lab vs Maestrale RS

But the toebox of the MTN lab feels narrower. I think the mid foot area may be narrower on the Cochise, but that is just how they feel to me. I have no measurements or data on this.
    That was my impression too. Narrower toebox on the lab, narrower midfoot and ankle on the Cochise.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Seems like you have two options. Use your best guess and buy from your local shop or order them from Rei or backcountry (if in US) and return one.

I'm no bootfitter but my local Shop said they can punch for length if needed. Check with your shop about this on the Lab. If so, maybe go with the smaller size if you think it will fit the rest of your foot better and then punch for length if your toes are getting munched.

BTW my shop recommended wearing them 5 times or so without molding or punching, as molding shortens the life of the liner, and then deciding if they need a mold or a punch. They said they always mold intuitions but the lab liner may not need it. This seems to be working and I don't think I will need to mold or punch the labs.

I think you're comparing two very different scenarios: a shop that doesn't stock a model that needs to special order it for you, and an internet retailer that will send you two sizes of the same model that they do stock. To my understanding, Evo or Backcountry, etc. will not special order two sizes of a model they don't carry for you to try out.

If a shop actually stocked the model, had both sizes in stock, most of them would send you both to try since that is what their internet competitors are doing. But you can't ask a shop to special order two sizes of a model they don't stock and then keep the one random size you don't want, especially if that model is not relevant for their clientele. Internet retailers, to my knowledge, wouldn't do that either.

the fact that people have already moved away from bricks and mortar to the internet IS why a shop isn't gona do this ^^ and if they are not stocking a product there is probably a pretty good reason ... they can't make $
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

How would I home-mold the MTN Stock Liner? Same way as intuitions? Convection Oven or Rice?
    Or do they need less temperature?

Well, I had my MTN Labs worked on today. Great results so far, need to ski them a full day to be sure but the instep pressure and some 5th Met punching was removed which is great.

What's with the MTN Lab cuff only moving backward in walk mode? The farthest forward it gets in its range of motion is where it locks into ski mode. Loved the way they skied downhill, but a bit clunky due to the limited ROM on the up. The good news, however, is that if you ever need your leg at a 20° angle back from the cuff you can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    What's with the MTN Lab cuff only moving backward in walk mode? The farthest forward it gets in its range of motion is where it locks into ski mode. Loved the way they skied downhill, but a bit clunky due to the limited ROM on the up. The good news, however, is that if you ever need your leg at a 20° angle back from the cuff you can do that.
    Open them up more and you get more forward ROM.

Any change from the 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 MTN Labs?