Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brand new 4runner towed... damaged? Should I be worried?

I just moved to downtown Burlington. As a welcome present my new 4runner was towed my third night in town despite my valid parking permit. The company admitted there were wrong, which is a good start, but not so sure about the effect on my car and the four wheel drive.

I was parked face first in a spot in a gravel lot. The first thing I noticed when I found my car missing were drag marks on the ground for maybe 12-15 feet. I was able to confirm it was towed on a flat bed, but even the driver admitting dragging my car was "not great for it." When I got to the tow lot and started it up the light said "maintenance required soon." I do have 4,000 miles on my car despite it being 5 weeks old. The driver was, again, very apologetic and said it probably means I need an oil change. That may be the case but the light wasn't on before the car was towed.

How pissed/concerned should I be about damage to my drive train/4wheel drive?
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

They should pay for any damage as they were in the wrong. Seems pretty simple.

I know that doesn't help on a brandy new car but...also I'd think they don't set the maintenance intervals on new cars lower than 5k miles so it's doubtful its oil change time.

Could be coincidental but I'd surely be holding towing company/town responsible

Have the towing company pay for a full check at the dealer. Be ready to lawyer up.

Brand new 4runner towed... damaged? Should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    They should pay for any damage as they were in the wrong. Seems pretty simple.

I know that doesn't help on a brandy new car but...also I'd think they don't set the maintenance intervals on new cars lower than 5k miles so it's doubtful its oil change time.

Could be coincidental but I'd surely be holding towing company/town responsible
    My new Tacoma the maintenance light comes on when you get close to 5k and every 5k after being reset
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

The maintenance required soon light is entirely independent from the 4WD system. This means that catastrophic damage to the 4WD system wouldn't trigger the light and thus the light isn't indicative of damage to the 4WD.

The towing company should still pay for an inspection of your 4WD and pay any resulting maintenance fees.

Good advise. Thanks guys.

GBB - thanks for the thoughts on the 4wd relative to the maintenance light

snoqpass - Good to know the light fires on around 5k.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Automatic or manual transmission? Parking brake on or off?

Take pictures of drag marks, make notes on the comments from the tow truck driver? Even if your car was parked illegally there are ways to move vehicles that don't entail dragging them.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Automatic transmission. Parking brake was not on, but I don't see how they would have put it in neutral since it wasn't a "friendly" tow.

It was dark but I did take some pictures of the drag marks.

Do you think the 12 to 15 foot drag would be enough to damage the vehicle?

I had all four wheels locked up further than that try not to tbone some fuck that pulled out in front of me, no problem,you should get your car checked out some tow operators are hacks
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    My new Tacoma the maintenance light comes on when you get close to 5k and every 5k after being reset
    Exactly like I said. OP stated 4k. To me that's not "close" to 5k

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Automatic transmission. Parking brake was not on, but I don't see how they would have put it in neutral since it wasn't a "friendly" tow.

It was dark but I did take some pictures of the drag marks.

Do you think the 12 to 15 foot drag would be enough to damage the vehicle?
    Was it the Limited or did you have 4H engaged in the SR5?

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I had all four wheels locked up further than that try not to tbone some fuck that pulled out in front of me, no problem,you should get your car checked out some tow operators are hacks
    A dead drag pulling in the park mode is a world of difference from a 4 wheel skid in drive in as where it puts pressure.

You would have to check the code but it could be the "rotate tires" warning.

If you pony up for a Launch code reader and buy the Toy software you can use your smart phone to check and diagnose all kinds of shit.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by farmguy View Post
    A dead drag pulling in the park mode is a world of difference from a 4 wheel skid in drive in as where it puts pressure.
    x2

Dragging a car in park can fuck things up. The only positive I can see for OP is that it was on gravel and not pavement and only for a short distance. That fact alone could have ended up preventing trans damage.

Thanks again to all for the feedback.

To answer a few questions, it's a Trail model with the manually activated 4 wheel drive. It was NOT engaged when it was dragged. Really hoping that helps?

As for the mileage, indicator light issue, it is close to 5k... around 4,700 or so.

I highly doubt any damage occurred to the drive train from dragging it 15' on gravel, would be a pretty shitty drivetrain if it did.

Blinking check engine light after starting? Or remains on after a minute or so? The tundra starts blinking after 4500 miles letting you know it is time to start thinking about an oil change.

You are probably ok. But for piece of mind it is worth having Toyota service check it out. That will put your mind at rest.
    If anything was broken you would know if your vehicle could not hold its self in place on a hill while in park.

I believe when you put a car in park a tooth goes into a gear/detent or sft to lock the tranny so if your tranny was fucked you would know it, dragging a car 15 ft in park is probably not going to hurt it

Way back in the day a Hschool bud would thro a moving old junk car into park at idling speed over and over, tranny would make a loud buzz until the toooth or wtf it is found its detent bringing the car to a halt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It was a gravel lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Dragging a truck, auto trans, with 4x4 not engaged, will not damage the 4x4 system. It could possibly damage the transmission (but probably didn't). The tow company should pay to have it inspected.

Check engine light is probably not related, go to Autozone etc. and have them read the codes for you for free. Probably an oil change light.

Smails,

My comment was with regard to using a dolly on each tire to raise your tires off of the ground to tow the vehicle onto the flat bed. They are incompetent idiots who were out to make a buck and they have already admitted that they were wrong.

Bear in mind that these same people would be more than happy to tell you to go pound sand and present you with a large bill for their efforts.

If they balk at an inspection at a mechanic of your choice, I'd be bringing up the fact that they may have damaged your transmission, lost use of vehicle (IE- They stole it), your personal time (at whatever hourly rate you deem it is worth), etc. I'm sure small claims could sort it all out.

Don't drive it until you have it inspected.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Smails,

My comment was with regard to using a dolly on each tire to raise your tires off of the ground to tow the vehicle onto the flat bed. They are incompetent idiots who were out to make a buck and they have already admitted that they were wrong.

Bear in mind that these same people would be more than happy to tell you to go pound sand and present you with a large bill for their efforts.

If they balk at an inspection at a mechanic of your choice, I'd be bringing up the fact that they may have damaged your transmission, lost use of vehicle (IE- They stole it), your personal time (at whatever hourly rate you deem it is worth), etc. I'm sure small claims could sort it all out.

Don't drive it until you have it inspected.
    This is good advice.

CE light at 4,700 is the service interval reminder. 5th Gen 4Rs (I have a 2013) have a 10,000 oil interval, but still 5K service intervals. 300 miles before is right around the time the light comes on.

I'd strongly suspect everything is fine based on facts given (gravel, transfer case in 2H, short distance), but those fly-by-night fucks still need to pay for an inspection
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

You can reset the Maintenance light with a key and odometer sequence that can be found online. I doubt any damage was done to your 4Runner by just dragging it a few feet.

I am curious what this mythical inspector would inspect on a brandfuckingnew Toyota ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I am curious what this mythical inspector would inspect on a brandfuckingnew Toyota ?
    To start, check the specs on the rotary girder for damage to the flux intake. Then go from there.