Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Boulder-White Clouds Wilderness - When is access axed?

Does anyone know when bike access to Ants Basin and Castle Divide will be cut? Is it already?

I haven't ridden those two trails. I remember this TR.

Worth blowing off some other things to get up there in a couple weeks?

Thanks!
    K

The bill was signed by Obama today. Technically that means no mountain bikes effective immediately. I did talk to a local shop today, they said the forest service were going to let bikers ride this weekend then it's over, forever...

Ah, thanks for the info. I should have followed this more closely and got up there earlier this summer...

this is why I think defunding national parks and wilderness is not a bad thing. This is statism at its worse.

I was thinking about heading down next week to ride Antz -- on MTBR there was some thought that it would take a few WEEKS for FS to implement...

From the Idaho Mountain Express: " Sawtooth National Forest Public Affairs Officer Julie Thomas said the bill goes into effect upon the president’s signature, but the Forest Service has no immediate plans to impose use restrictions. She said it will be some time before the agency drafts a wilderness management plan.
    “Life is going to go on up there as we [take time to] understand how the rules are going to unfold,” she said. “We know the mountain biking community is going to do a ride up there this weekend. There’s nothing that we’re going to do about that.”

I called and spoke to her yesterday since I am planning(and have planned all summer) to ride Antz Basin the weekend of 8/22-23. She said it would take some time to get the area mapped and signs up ,etc... and that it would most likely be status quo for awhile. (MILDWILLIE)

What we heard through the grapevine was that it may be spring before restrictions are imposed.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    this is why I think defunding national parks and wilderness is not a bad thing. This is statism at its worse.
    No, Wilderness is an easy out that costs the agency virtually nothing. Motivations aside, the FS and Region 1 just doesn't have the money to bother with niche groups that don't effect them the way Wilderness advocacy groups do.
    I'm not saying it's right, or that it's not based on old fashioned, out of date, preconceived notions.
    It doesn't help that R1 HQ and the Wilderness Society are both right here in Missoula.
    Wilderness is cheap. You don't have to do anything.

Anyway, can the FS actually impound your bike, or just ticket you?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Its time to alter the rules that prohibit human powered travel in places like BWC, especially when mt. biking has been a ~30 year historical use.

Here's a newly established group that is not waiting for IMBA any longer... going for the gusto with lobbyists and making changes in legislation. They need our money to make it happen:
    http://www.sustainabletrailscoalition.org/

The Angry Singlespeeder gets angrier... but donates $200 to the fundraising campaign:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/the-angry-si...in-bike-access

They are against blanket bans on bicycling and even chainsaws, and want to see each Forest unit be managed locally, not by one overriding biased rule.

Let's do this!!

No Mas!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sign6.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	168686

No shit!
    No longer stuck.

Anyway, can the FS actually impound your bike, or just ticket you?
    I've heard of the FS giving out warnings to fines to cutting your bike chain. Bring a spare chain if you plan on poaching.

Would that mean that hike a bike up to chainless down would be kosher ?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

what are the chances of actually being seen in wilderness. As MTBer I really think the best course of action is massed civil disobedience. Organize a huge ride though there once the signs do go up.

Imba got rolled on this. Thank the motorized community and Idaho's GOP legislators. 600,000 monument with bikes allowed or 275,000 acre wilderness with no bikes allowed and gerrymandered around motorized playgrounds. Never seen a snowmobile club in favor of wilderness until this bill went through.

http://woodriverbike.org/loss-in-the...-by-tom-flynn/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

F it, go bag them!!

Here's the word from a source in the Stanley RD:

Officially, the new wilderness boundaries are in effect. There was a mountain bike "protest ride" in there today and tomorrow - the FS isn't paying any attention to that. It sounds like there will be a gradual rollout with enforcement, not sure if that means in the coming weeks or months.

If someone wants to ride Ants or the Castle Divide, they should do it quickly and they may be too late as is.

They're trying to do the same thing with the Wasatch Crest Trail, an awesome ride. Hopefully they're not successful.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I've heard of the FS giving out warnings to fines to cutting your bike chain. Bring a spare chain if you plan on poaching.
    That's it?!
    So basically, carry a quick link and a couple bucks?
    No longer stuck.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an ear out for the next week or so and call it.

Crest and Wilderness
    I believe this is one one of the alternatives that will be explored as part of the Mountain Accord (running Wilderness to the ridge). People should keep an eye on things. EIS process will start ramping up publicly here soon.

Not a single member of Congress was willing to stand up for Mtn Bikers as both the House & Senate bills passed unopposed.
    If there was any doubt before, there should be none now, we are outlaws. Maybe it's time we started acting like it.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I don't doubt what you're saying, I just don't understand on what legal grounds they could damage your private property. It's like rolling through a stop sign in your car and the cop sticks a knife in your tire.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Let's be realistic here. We're not so much outlaws as a noninfluencial niche group.
    And no, it's more like driving your car over people's lawns so they have it towed.
    No longer stuck.

Like I said organized huge group rides, get the media attentions and create your own media. Its really is the only way. If I was closer I would be doing it myself.

I just don't give a rats ass anymore. IMBA is useless, the USFS is worse and Congress is FUBAR.

I will fucking well ride where I want and if the USFS can allocate the funds for the enforcement and I get caught I will take it like a man.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Like I said organized huge group rides, get the media attentions and create your own media. Its really is the only way. If I was closer I would be doing it myself.
    Apparently organising such things on social media invites prosecution for conspiracy. Otherwise, of course, the first amendment might allow the people to organize themselves for such things as defending their rights and whatnot, so I guess that makes sense.

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/arc.../#.VcfYBaNlDFo

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    I just don't give a rats ass anymore. IMBA is useless, the USFS is worse and Congress is FUBAR.

I will fucking well ride where I want and if the USFS can allocate the funds for the enforcement and I get caught I will take it like a man.
    This.
    Been having a great summer riding some old favorites already.

I'm not sure how you figure that will garner support among non-riders.

sahm nailed it - mtbrs are a totally non-influential niche group. I'd go so far as to say that pretty much no one that goes into wilderness that isn't already a biker likes mtbrs or wants them there. If you think huge group rides are gonna change that, you'd be wrong. Probably end up forcing the USFS' hand to enforcement, and they'd probably just as soon ignore it - I bet they have other more pressing issues.

My advice is do it like Bunion - low profile, evasive, and take it like a man if you get caught. Because mtbrs don't have any influence compared to the people that don't want them there.

But if you do have a big group ride, be sure to complain to the media about horse and cow shit on the trail.