the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

ID/MT locals : Pierre's Hole roadtrip advice

Heading to Grand Targhee next week for Pierre's Hole 100 mtb race. Planned a nice family road trip around it, rough route with overnights = WA --> Boise ID (1 night) --> Craters of the Moon --> Grand Targhee (3 nights) --> Yellowstone (3 nights) --> Missoula (1 night) --> home

Any locals advice on great eateries for Boise, Driggs area, Missoula?

Any other must see family friendly sites along the way besides Craters of the Moon? Twin boys 8 yrs old.

Any other mags planning to violate Pierre's Hole?

thanks

What way are you leaving Yellowstone: 89, 212, or 191? Going over Beartooth Pass is worth the extra miles. 89 is really beautiful, has good fishing, and has a hot springs at the park border, 191 to 287 has good fishing and you can drive up to 10,000 feet in the Gravelly Range or just 191 to Bozeman goes right by Big Sky. All options worth leaving Yellowstone a half day early, especially if you hate bumper-to-bumper NP crowds.

Biga Pizza in Missoula is tasty, fancy-ish pizza.

Chico hot springs north of yellowstone is a cool little compound that's pretty kid friendly. Sitting in hot water is obviously less awesome if it's really hot out.

Busy as hell around the yellowstone region right now. All Teton in-park campgrounds have sold out 14 nights now, previous record in an entire summer was 6. Camping or not, reservations are a must. Wildlife pizza in victor is popular with the under-10 crowd, free cornhole and shuffleboard, great pizza and beer. In Driggs my personal go-to's are Big Hole bagel for breakfast, and the Wolf for lunch or dinner. If you want to splurge a bit, Forage for lunch or particularly weekend brunch kills it. I've created a new brunch item, the rhino, hanger steak and two poached eggs covered with fresh hollandaise, with a slice of great 460 toast.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

If you roll thru Bozeman and the timing is right for you, I'd bet the boys would love the Museaum (of the Rockies?); good dino stuff.

Lewis and Clark Caverns (between Three Forks and Whitehall) is also a kids favorite.

awesome thanks everyone! appreciate it. There are still slots available if anyone in the area doesn't have anything better to do for 8 to 10 hours Sat the 15th

One of these days I'll go down and do that one. I got into butte this year but didn't sign up, wasn't sure I was ready to put myself through it again. Meant to do the Mystic 40mi race out by bozeman but didn't. Have "fun."

Children are allowed in the local breweries, sometimes there are food trucks outside them. Caffe dolce is pretty nice, would be acceptable for kids, they have a ton of gelato.

I'm doing the 50k, look for the guy with flat pedals and a dropper post at the back of the pack.

There are quite a few trendy new restaurants in Missoula. Mostly downtown. And as stated, breweries are kid friendly.
    Family Friendly Fridays for music and hors derves at the Top Hat (swanky bar).
    Walk/ride along the river with the fam.
    Etc, etc.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

good luck pachosdad! I will be one of the idiots on a single speed, Independent Fabrication kit.

Any favorite breweries in Missoula?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

Any favorite breweries in Missoula?
    Kettlehouse South on Myrtle Street (across the river from downtown) is the oldest, most ghetto, and still the best. Has a food truck a few nights a week.

Kettlehouse North above the Orange Street underpass is a lot nicer inside and has outdoor seating. Similar beers at each location, but more variety at southside. Also sometimes has food truck.

Draughtworks is not too far from downtown and has decent beer. Also has food trucks and sometimes live music. Best space and lots of outdoor seating.

Each of these has a Facebook page with schedules, etc.

Bayern sucks ass, don't go there (the beer is OK but their taproom is depressing AF). I have no opinion of Imagine Nation except that the name is too dumb to comprehend. Big Sky is way the fuck out of town but the samples are free.

The Top Hat is a pretty good place to go with kids, unless they have an early show and it's closed for dinner. Also Biga like toast suggested.

Also there is a taco place, bridge pizza, and big dipper ice cream right near kettlehouse south. They have one of those crowler machines too.

Great burn is on the south side of town by the mall. They have a pretty good space. Lolo Peak brewing is only about a 10-15min drive and they have a kitchen, and then our newest brewery Missoula brewing is on the north west side of town off reserve. They have pizza and salads and a ton of indoor/outdoor seating.

Someone told me imagine nation is pretty nice and has some good beers. I haven't been there yet though.

If you want to wear out the kids while in Missoula, put a growler into a pack and hike them up to the "M". Sit and relax while enjoying said growler.

really appreciate all the great suggestions thanks. Check out my post in the "keep kids skiing pass it down thread". If any of you need the items I'm offering for your little ones shout. Happy to throw them in the car, would save me the shipping hassle and you would score.

Idk what people have against Bayern. Good beer, if not very creative due to being bound by the German thing.
    Yeah, they're 12oz glasses, but that means 4 different beers. And they have those yummy meat sticks.
    On a nice day, you can play giant chess outside.
    No longer stuck.

I love the metrosexuals primping and preening and pimping and screening. Missoula really has MADE IT, bro. it's as phony and fake as Boulder now. celebrate that shit!

Boise-depends on the food you are looking for...good Basque food here, try Gernika. Nice meals with bars-Bardenay, Bittercreek, Fork. Burgers-Gone Rogue. High end-Chandlers, Dish. Pizza-Flat Bread, Front Door, Guidos. Lots of micro breweries around. These are my favorite locals and all downtown area. Plenty of chains around to.

If you hate Missoula and tgr so much, fucky weirdo, why are you still here?
    Antisocial personality if I ever saw one. Fuck off, creepy.
    No longer stuck.

Driggs: eat at Royal Wolf (good bar food) or Teton Thai.

right on thanks all

Course is in great shape.

Forage, Teton Thai, or Royal Wolf, in order from most expensive (and best) to cheapest (but still pretty good), in Driggs. Warbirds at the airport is also excellent, has a liquor license, MIG fighters and a great view.

Thanks again for all of your input and advice. The family had a stellar time on our road trip and managed to dodge most of the wildfire smoke.
    Guernika in Boise - yum. and no one looked strangely at us rolling in with young kids at 9:30p for dinner and a beer (our drive time that first day was quite a bit longer than expected )
    Craters of the Moon - awesome
    Teton Thai in Driggs - great
    Pierre's Hole - painful, pulmonary adema fest
    Yellowstone - seriously awesome
    Tamarack brewing in Missoula - really good food and beer
    Some rest stop near Kellogg - clean

Hopefully not literally Pulmonary Edema. Seems the SS crowd shrinks every year. You've got to be seriously fit to pull it off.