Cham HM 97, Vector, V6, Revert, ????

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new pair of skis as an all-arounder with emphasis on touring (east coast with occasional trips to CO/WA). I plan to mount with Dynafit, Onyx, Ion, or similar. Right now I'm on BD Aspects with Onyx, which I've been really happy with. I sized the Aspects up to get more float in the powder, and they absolutely rail on firm snow, but it's a lot of ski to swing around in the trees and bumps. I'd like to make those my firm snow/beater skis and get something a little fatter/floatier (95-105mm) so I can run a shorter ski for east coast trees (NY and VT). One thing I really dig about my Aspects is that the dramatic sidecut makes it really turny; very easy to hook up and make hard turns. This makes me suspect I'm looking for something like the Vector as opposed to the V6, which is a tad wider but with less sidecut.

So far I'm looking at several skis... here are the impressions I've gotten online....

Cham HM 97 - Sounds like a killer all around ski and it's probably the front runner at this point. Good float in pow, but also good on hardpack. Stiff enough for crud.
    Vector - Similar to Cham HM, but maybe softer?
    V6 - Haven't read much on this but with less sidecut it seems like it would be less nimble than the Vector.
    Revert - Some say it's a noodle, some say it's fine, so it's hard to tell. Dimensions are similar to the Cham/Vector. I've had great luck with BD so far, which is why it's in the running.

Are these impressions on point or totally off-base? Any other skis I should be looking at? Unfortunately demos are pretty much nonexistent where I live so I have to rely on forums. Any opinions/experience you guys have is welcome.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Cham HM 97, Vector, V6, Revert, ????

The Cham is a resort ski that's sort of light. Some love it. Others say meh. The shape is quite different than the others. The Vector and V6 are touring skis that aren't so light and skittish that they will ruin your day at the resort. They're very good but you won't be charging. They're much lighter, especially the Vector, than the Cham. I've skied Vectors a bunch. They're solid all around skis with no weakness, but they're also not amazing at anything. No idea about the Revert apart from the fact that I understand the more recent BD carbon builds are significantly better than the older ones that were soft and not very light.

With all that said, what you probably want is Praxis Yetis. Similar shape to the Reverts but amazing build quality. I've owned two pairs of their fatter brother, the Backcountry. Brilliant skis.

And thanks for posting in Tech Talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Took me a minute

I had similar criteria when I made my last big ski decision, with the exception that lift serve performance was irrelevant. Not quite irrelevant, but any in bounds performance is a bonus. Personally not a fan of skiing fast on hard, maintained snow using Dynafits. Wouldn't use anything else in backcountry, and i have skis I like in bounds.

I ski the full metal cham 97, and would think the the HM would go well with Marker Tours or similar, for a resort ski that could tour. Personally, not a huge fan of the flat tails in NEw England trees as I often have to back out of stupid places, and they can drive into the snow.

Chose the Revert for my wife. Great BC ski. She likes them in bounds, but they are the only alpine set up she has ever used, so no basis for comparison. (recently lured her to the dark side- "honest, breakable crust can be fun with the right gear...")

The V-6 was the first runner up in my choices for myself. It looks like an awesome EC ski that can handle anything. I am a big fan of the Vector, but the V-6 looks as versatile and more fun.

I ended up going with the Carbon Convert and have no regrets. One season on them, and if they broke or got lost, would replace them. Don't love the way they ski hardened resort snow with my light boots and bindings, but don't care.

Maybe not quite as nimble as you're looking for, but I'm trying to sell some PM Gear Byas over in Gear Swap. 96mm waist, rockered tip. Along the lines of what you're looking at.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ear-Bya-Hybrid

good thoughts

Thanks a lot for the responses, guys. HHtele, I'm along the same lines as you. I want a great BC ski and for inbounds it just has to not be horrible... just being realistic, I don't think you could call what I do "charging". I like to ski difficult stuff but I don't get that gnarly. My Aspects are definitely not resort skis but I haven't really felt held back by them (aside from the length).

Glad to hear you're liking the carbon convert. Have you spent any time on BD's non-carbon lineup? If so how do they compare? I'd prefer to save the money if possible (plus there's no carbon Revert).

Those Yetis look like amazing skis, I hadn't considered those but you've definitely gotten me thinking. On their site right now the custom build is going for less than the normal Yeti (with the basic core).

Dynastar have a new superlite Cham 97 coming out.

I like the 97HM but I wouldn't ever describe it as having

Good float in pow,
    It's a great harder snow, no new snow, spring touring ski and sort of lightish.

JMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

puffy

About my username being pdiddy69.... I have no effing clue what that's happening. In my profile it says a different name, but when I come to the forums apparently I become puffy. Tried to fix it for like 30 sec and then gave up.

PM Ryan Dunfee.

He's in charge of that kind of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Dynastar have a new superlite Cham 97 coming out.

I like the 97HM but I wouldn't ever describe it as having

It's a great harder snow, no new snow, spring touring ski and sort of lightish.

JMHO
    I would say the Cham HM 97 does float well in powder for its size, but I ski lighter snow than someone in the East or PNW.

Personally I love the flat tail, I like having a tail that gives me a kick coming out of a turn and I'd have to go with a longer ski to get that with turn up tail. I also like it for ski mountaineering uses, the ability to jam it into the snow as an anchor.

Great to hear that they're coming out with a lighter version, as the weight was a little much for my wearing out hips.

I have the V6 and they are solid. Really fun in everything. I ski 90% BC, but the few days I pushed them on lift service they didn't disappoint. Shorter turning radius than the Vector, so they are quicker turning, a plus in EC trees. No experience with Cham, but a friend skis the old Reverts and they are way soft and noodley...though I hear the newer version is better.

thx brahs

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Ended up pulling the trigger on the V6... after hearing more about it I think the Cham wasn't quite what I was looking for, and out of what little info I can find on the Revert I keep hearing it's floppy. Love me some EC trees and short turns, so the V6 sounded like the right choice.

Got a nice deal on some Vipecs to set them up with and my old skins ought to fit passably well, so I'm all set.

Now we just need another good winter out here...