Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    How so?
    With an innernet browser!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    With an innernet browser!
    No. What makes you think they're clowns?

Their truck is too expensive? It seems about comparable with what similar complete re-engineer, throw all old parts away and start from scratch with modern bits vehicles cost.

I presume you can simply restore or far more mildly upgrade a power wagon on a tighter budget if you want to.

One of these would be fun... modernized, bespoke DB5 take one eye wateringly valuable car and throw eye wateringly expensive rebuild at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

No. What makes you think they're clowns?

Their truck is too expensive? It seems about comparable with what similar complete re-engineer, throw all old parts away and start from scratch with modern bits vehicles cost.

I presume you can simply restore or far more mildly upgrade a power wagon on a tighter budget if you want to.

One of these would be fun... modernized, bespoke DB5 take one eye wateringly valuable car and throw eye wateringly expensive rebuild at it.
    Silly me, but I do find it worthy of an exploding red rubber nose to be trawling out there for people who have $250000 to purchase a reworked and once derided icon of the American workforce.

It's one thing to sn00t around rebuilding racecars and something else to trump up an old willys or powerwagon rebuild. I know Jesus has been for sale for millennia, so it's no surprise nothing is sacred, but I always hold out hope for something a little less divine to be left out of the upscaling of everything.

but I always hold out hope for something a little less divine to be left out of the upscaling of everything.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Silly me, but I do find it worthy of an exploding red rubber nose to be trawling out there for people who have $250000 to purchase a reworked and once derided icon of the American workforce.

It's one thing to sn00t around rebuilding racecars and something else to trump up an old willys or powerwagon rebuild. I know Jesus has been for sale for millennia, so it's no surprise nothing is sacred, but I always hold out hope for something a little less divine to be left out of the upscaling of everything.
    I guess that's a viewpoint.

But it's not as if they're turning them into limousines by putting low profile tires and disco balls on them. Seems like the rebuilding is done keeping and improving it's truckness... They are still able to haul around whatever sacred cow or high horses you want to put in them.

From reading a couple of articles they're using complete wrecks that would otherwise probably rust away to nothing.

No doubt there is an active group of collectors of original, stock power wagons protecting the heritage of them.

And I can't imagine that any working man who had one back in the day wouldn't think it was pretty damn cool that someone had put 500+hp lump in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    If I was a richer and/or more obsessive about Porsches...

$25k in SLC. 48k mi, mint, 6spd, black leather on silver. This car is a long way from its last canyon drive..

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...04771801&Log=0
    The 996 is a shitty 911.

Many of them have IMS issues.

The 996 turbo is the only one to buy.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

But it's not as if they're turning them into limousines by putting low profile tires and disco balls on them. Seems like the rebuilding is done keeping and improving it's truckness... They are still able to haul around whatever sacred cow or high horses you want to put in them.

From reading a couple of articles they're using complete wrecks that would otherwise probably rust away to nothing.

No doubt there is an active group of collectors of original, stock power wagons protecting the heritage of them.

And I can't imagine that any working man who had one back in the day wouldn't think it was pretty damn cool that someone had put 500+hp lump in one.
    You could put your own 400-500hp built mopar engine and beefed up/rebuilt transmission and transfer case in a clean old power wagon and add new leaf springs, modern shocks and newer suspension components for less than 15-20k less the cost of the original truck. Even with the cost of bodywork, paint and upholstery it would be no where near 100k+,

The Legacy site talks about how the posers who buy these need them to work their vast tracts of land, what they need is something more practical, like thishttp://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5124203231.html

Gee, thanks.
    I can.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    You could put your own 400-500hp built mopar engine and beefed up/rebuilt transmission and transfer case in a clean old power wagon and add new leaf springs, modern shocks and newer suspension components for less than 15-20k less the cost of the original truck. Even with the cost of bodywork, paint and upholstery it would be no where near 100k+
    It's been a while. But yes I probably could if I wanted to.

Some people might prefer to buy one rather than do the work themselves or be unable to do the work themselves .though. Is there some similar upgrader selling a comparable version at wildly lower prices than buster's clowns?

It's been a while. But yes I probably could if I wanted to.

Some people might prefer to buy one rather than do the work themselves or be unable to do the work themselves .though. Is there some similar upgrader selling a comparable version at wildly lower prices than buster's clowns?
    I don't think so. If someone actually wants a working truck that wouldn't be it. Those trucks are just as much for posers as a supercar.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Also always pined for an S2000, but their resale value is stupid high.
    There seem to be vanishingly few here now I think because of the amount that get crashed. I know three people that have owned them and all have written them off. The early ones had known handling issues and I don't think it ever got fully sorted out.

Which I why I bought:

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    A Miata, mid 2000s. Fantastic sports car value.
    Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Tricks are for hookers

If someone actually wants a working truck that wouldn't be it. .
    Clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    I would like a garaged low miles 65 mustang convertible please.
    How about this onehttps://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/5145214484.html

Oops not convertible, but there is thishttps://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5124016738.html

Price aside, the reimagined Power Wagon is pretty awesome. Same with the ICON vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by narc View Post
    There seem to be vanishingly few here now I think because of the amount that get crashed. I know three people that have owned them and all have written them off. The early ones had known handling issues and I don't think it ever got fully sorted out.

Which I why I bought:
    I've read they have jitterz at speed. Low speed lots of cornering is where they excel.

This looks like a shed load of fun... apart from its looks.

GT-R engine in a Nissan Juke 2.0 to go into very, very limited production.

600hp in an all wheel drive hatchback..

Hopefully no Nissan Juke purists will have their sensibilities knocked too far off kilter?

You could probably build one for far cheaper yourself....

This looks like a shed load of fun... apart from its looks.

GT-R engine in a Nissan Juke 2.0 to go into very, very limited production.

600hp in an all wheel drive hatchback..

Hopefully no Nissan Juke purists will have their sensibilities knocked too far off kilter?

You could probably build one for far cheaper yourself....

I think that's a bit different than restoring and modernizing a Power Wagon. Probably not 185k.

I don't think so. If someone actually wants a working truck that wouldn't be it. Those trucks are just as much for posers as a supercar.
    So basically as soon as something reaches a certain level of expensiveness, its owners are posers? Could it just be that the owners love old power wagons, but also love, I don't know, braking? And being comfortable? And having things like seat belts? Of course they are ridiculously expensive, they are one-off cars. That was Henry Ford's entire fucking point: one is expensive, one hundred thousand and you can start making them cheap. Is there no room left in the American psyche for a love of hand-crafted, singular goods? For no reason tother than that they are hand-crafted and unique and, to some at least, beautiful?

And, yes, I'd take one of those bespoke DB5's if I could, also.

I think that's a bit different than restoring and modernizing a Power Wagon. Probably not 185k.
    The one they made previously is reputed to have sold for $600k.

These cars are DOPE
    99 camaro ss
    Here's me w mine, suckas Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1438648073.818899.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	168575
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    These cars are DOPE
    99 camaro ss

The dope is standing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    So basically as soon as something reaches a certain level of expensiveness, its owners are posers? Could it just be that the owners love old power wagons, but also love, I don't know, braking? And being comfortable? And having things like seat belts? Of course they are ridiculously expensive, they are one-off cars. That was Henry Ford's entire fucking point: one is expensive, one hundred thousand and you can start making them cheap. Is there no room left in the American psyche for a love of hand-crafted, singular goods? For no reason tother than that they are hand-crafted and unique and, to some at least, beautiful?

And, yes, I'd take one of those bespoke DB5's if I could, also.
    I love old trucks. I just bought a 76 W100 Power Wagon with 50k miles for $400 from a local orchardist. I'm having the transmission overhauled because reverse was out, there were some worn teeth on the TC, the reverse actuator was broken and it was neglected. I'll have a 4wd truck that can go 80+, has seat belts and can tow a trailer and go just about anywhere for about $2400. It's totally clean with no dents or through body rust and the engine is strong with no leaks, good compression and more power than I need.

Paying $185k or more for a restored early Power Wagon is for posers no matter how you try and spin it. The actual cost of something like that is much less and for folks who don't know how to do the work or are too dainty to get their hands dirty. It's a truck for fucks sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Snicker...

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    These cars are DOPE
    99 camaro ss

The jorts and white socks really tie it all together.
    I still call it The Jake.

I'm having the transmission overhauled because reverse was out........folks who don't know how to do the work or are too dainty to get their hands dirty.
    Ahem.

Just kidding.