Lens Recommendation Please

Looking for a recommendation for a new backpacking lens on the cheap and light.

My current setup:
    Canon SL1 crop sensor (13oz)
    Canon 10-18 4.5-5.6 (8.5oz)
    Tamron 17-50
    Canon 70-300 is usm

My current backpacking setup is the sl1 and the wide angle zoom 10-18mm which I love for its compactness and most important light weight. The zoom range however on the wide angle lens leaves some shots too wide. Im thinking about carrying two lenses, one more in the mid focal length but also very light. I am thinking about trying a prime to cover this. Any recommendations on a focal length for a crop sensor (or is this just a personal preference thing) or other options (light zoom)? I think having a prime would be pretty cool to have for other purposes than backpacking as well. Anyone had similar quandry? I have a couple lenses in mind but I will leave it open ended.

So are you looking for a "do it all" type lens to compliment the 10-18? If so, I think you have two good options: the Canon 15-85 and the Canon 18-135 STM. They're both solid lenses that are great for both action and landscape. To be honest, you could probably ditch the 10-18 if you got the 15-85, as 15mm is wide enough for most applications. the 18-135 obviously doesn't cover the wide angle as well, but gives you much more reach. I think optically, the 15-85 is a hair sharper and quicker to focus.

Given your requirements, I don't see how a prime would help all that much.

The 24mm pancake is going to be purchased for my SL1 in the next year or so. That's an obvious one for you, and I assume the main prime you had in mind. 50mm 1.8 is too long, for your stated purpose above. Even the 40mm pancake would be too.

I hated the AF hunting on the Tamron when I borrowed it from SchralphMacchio...

I really want to pick up a Rokinon ultrawide for nightsky stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I have the 24 pancake and love it. The focal length is good for indoors and street photography. I could see the 40 pancake being a better compliment to the UWA since there is a bit more separation between it and 18 mm.

Just got back from Kauai a week ago, and my new 15-85 stayed on the camera the entire time. Pretty sure I'm going to ditch the 28-135 and 12-24 in the lens bag, I didn't feel like I was missing them at all.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

17-55 2.8 IS.

i've seen some great shots come out of that 15-85, seems very versatile too. I'm currently shopping for a 24 pancake and hope to have it for a New Orleans trip in a month, with light weight and low light the main goals..
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

The Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM is the sharpest one in my bag; light too.

I usually hike with that plus a 17-50 f/2.8, which is not the lightest. I might swap that out for the 24mm pancake lens before next summer.

You guys realize this was a 3 month old thread bumped up by a spammer right?

So what... It's always fun to talk about camera lenses.

24-105L, and I'm selling mine.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi