Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I forget the specifics but I remember back when only real climbers were on Everest some climber offering the idea that if some one would pay he could get a toaster oven to the summit of Everest
    Exactly. The Lefty is just like carrying a toaster to the summit of Everest - accomplishing a task in an inherently difficult manner. Why not just pay this guy to drop it off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhYG-IgsRJ0

Even better, drop some sort of parachute drone from a normal airplane?

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    No, I had a Foes which was quickly replaced by a FSR Team DH (you know, Palmer style), back then. Rode the RM6 for about 100 ft in a parking lot at a bike demo, before it broke.
    My apologies. I take it back. I believe everything you say. Because now I have no choice!

dammit!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    My apologies. I take it back. I believe everything you say. Because now I have no choice!

dammit!
    I still have both frames and can produce pics.

That bicycle is totally legitimate. My life sucks!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    I know two riders that absolutely shred on lefties. They don't post much on the internet tho
    Then it doesn't count.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Damian is killing it in hard boots and redundant chunder....oooh, I raced DH back in the early 90's, so I'm the man. Man, those bikes were sick, and I bet you were pretty badass back then too. Somehow you didn't end up like steve peat or cedric or lopes, so now...just shut the fuck up you old geezer. And god, those awful 27.5 wheels. Seriously, all you do is create stupid arguements about why new shit sucks. Lets move back to the 90's. Then everything will be okay, right? Do you want mt old original Burton air? Or my 2004-santa Cruz bullit?
    Last edited by markcjr; 07-31-2015 at 11:12 PM.

He's worked for two of the most over hyped major companies in the industry, and designed a pretty whack DH bike. I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be listening to anything he has to say, regardless of how good of a rider he is.

It's a common misconception that the bike industry engineers are some sort of wizards. ROFL. Almost every other industry is more challenging. Trek can't even do better than (what is in reality) a single pivot suspension design.
    The only one we shouldn't be listening to here is you. You realize things have changed for the better since 1998 when "things were sweet" right?

First, that bike was welded (by David) in college (among a number of other bikes) mostly for fun and to try a gearbox design. I'm sure you too were welding your own bikes that you conceived just for fun before you could legally drink too weren't you Damien? Share with us those designs that you learned so much from!

Second, Trek hasn't made one successful bike. Oh...except for a downhill bike that was piloted to a number of victories a few years back by a certain American. Who cares if it works similar to a single pivot? It f'in works!

Third, SRAM overhyped? With exception of the Elixer line what are you talking about? While not "perfect" (what is perfect?) I've been pretty impressed by just about everything the company has put out over the last 5 years. You realize much of Fox's technology also came from a certain poaching of a certain engineer at "overhyped SRAM" too right?

You sir are an arrogant idiot.

Back to axles. I'm still on my XFusion Vengeance for the 20mm axle and 36mm legs. I keep wanting to lose weight but at 250 and "super aggressive" I don't want a noodly fork which I've had and hated.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Back to axles. I'm still on my XFusion Vengeance for the 20mm axle and 36mm legs. I keep wanting to lose weight but at 250 and "super aggressive" I don't want a noodly fork which I've had and hated.
    You'll be fine with the new 36 w/either axle size or the new Lyrik. Nothing wrong with the the fork you are on either. She's way underrated IMO.

The vengeance is awesome. My only gripe is weight.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    The only one we shouldn't be listening to here is you. You realize things have changed for the better since 1998 when "things were sweet" right?

First, that bike was welded (by David) in college (among a number of other bikes) mostly for fun and to try a gearbox design. I'm sure you too were welding your own bikes that you conceived just for fun before you could legally drink too weren't you Damien? Share with us those designs that you learned so much from!

Second, Trek hasn't made one successful bike. Oh...except for a downhill bike that was piloted to a number of victories a few years back by a certain American. Who cares if it works similar to a single pivot? It f'in works!

Third, SRAM overhyped? With exception of the Elixer line what are you talking about? While not "perfect" (what is perfect?) I've been pretty impressed by just about everything the company has put out over the last 5 years. You realize much of Fox's technology also came from a certain poaching of a certain engineer at "overhyped SRAM" too right?

You sir are an arrogant idiot.
    Lol. SRAM and Trek are two of the most overhyped brands in the business. If you didn't have your head so far up the industry's ass, you'd know this. Aaron Gwin can win on anything, just look at how everybody hated on Demo's for many years because they never had a winning team.

You have a man crush on this Dave fellow. His word is not gospel. I have just as much education as he does, have designed and built plenty of cool stuff, and have VASTLY more actual manufacturing experience. The fact that I follow industries OTHER than biking means that I know how fucked up the bike industry is in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    In terms of bending, while some bending may occur within the axle itself, I wouldn’t expect going from 20 mm to 15 mm to make a huge difference on a section as short as the axle.
    DThat said I've run both. On the exact same bike. On the exact same fork. On the exact same wheel. Guess what? I couldn't tell a damn difference.
    Yeah, you guys must be right. I'll take internet hearsay any day vs. actually calculating it out for myself........

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tube Jockey.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	168551  
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 08-02-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Damian is killing it in hard boots and redundant chunder....oooh, I raced DH back in the early 90's, so I'm the man. Man, those bikes were sick, and I bet you were pretty badass back then too. Somehow you didn't end up like steve peat or cedric or lopes, so now...just shut the fuck up you old geezer. And god, those awful 27.5 wheels. Seriously, all you do is create stupid arguements about why new shit sucks. Lets move back to the 90's. Then everything will be okay, right? Do you want mt old original Burton air? Or my 2004-santa Cruz bullit?
    People make this argument every time I complain about BS standards and wheel size. I ride a modern bike. It has air suspension, carbon and titanium parts, disc brakes, clipless pedals, a 1x drivetrain with no chainguide, 2-peice cranks, silicone grips, a recessed headset, thru axles, full tubeless system wheels/tires. I'm suspicious of the industry flavor of the month, because I've seen it all come and go in 20+ years of biking.

Yeah but, if you buy a new bike it comes with all the parts that fit, so who cares. Unless you're upgrading to new wheels it doesn't matter. And then you can get hub adapters for 15 or 20mm

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Yeah but, if you buy a new bike it comes with all the parts that fit, so who cares. Unless you're upgrading to new wheels it doesn't matter. And then you can get hub adapters for 15 or 20mm
    I haven't bought a complete new bike since 1992. Although at this point, my bike is 90% new in the last two years. Only things carried over are the seat, seatpost, hubs, rear derailleur and most of the brake set.

My problem is the only really good light modern 20mm fork is the Fox 36, at $700+. I picked up a used Revelation 20mm a couple months ago but I'm on the fence about it's condition and performance. I have two wheelsets that are 20mm, and it would be $80 to convert them to 15mm, but that's a downgrade. I could get a pike, then spend the money for the hub axle caps, but why not just get the Fox 36 for the same total outlay?

If the new lyrik was available in 20mm and 26", I'd be all over that. But evidently SRAM is run by morons. The pinkbike comments about the new lyrik speak volumes - there still plenty of people out there that want to by high end 26" forks as evidenced by how well they are selling and selling out. 26" Pikes are the best selling forks on many online retailers, and 26" 2015 Fox 36's are nearly sold out for the year.

Exactly. The Lefty is just like carrying a toaster to the summit of Everest - accomplishing a task in an inherently difficult manner. Why not just pay this guy to drop it off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhYG-IgsRJ0

Even better, drop some sort of parachute drone from a normal airplane?
    I think the point I was trying to make was that sponsorship/factory support/ money is very important in racing as is hardware that can win

Obviuosly if there is/was no chance of winning on a bike with a lefty Cedric would have used something else (some models of the prophet came with a conventional fork) but ... he did win using the lefty

No other mfger is using the lefty, it doesnt really retro fit to other bikes, i don't think you could really buy one but more important joe racer will use whatever he can get for free SO the chances of it showing up in any kind of comp are juts slightly more than zero

it sounds like what really pisses you off is that you never want to have to buy another bike ( in fact you have not in 23 yrs?) just keep moving parts around and so any kind of new standard flys in the face of your own personal modus operendi

i notice you have skirted the issue of front forks on a car, do not worry ... you don't have to send me beer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

i notice you have skirted the issue of front forks on a car, do not worry ... you don't have to send me beer
    Car strut suspensions have a thing called a lower control arm. Also most performance/race oriented stuff uses dual a-arms to avoid putting side/bending loads on the damper. Mac strut is mostly just cheaper and easier to package.

As far as axles go I don't really care if it's 15mm or 20mm.
    Last edited by jamal; 08-02-2015 at 04:46 PM.

I'm an advanced DIY'er in the automotive suspension area and actually own the tools to do virtually anything to a car's suspension. Including air tools, a 230v mig welder and a 20-ton press. Though I haven't done much lately and am a bit out of practice, I have had Macpherson strut suspensions entirely apart over the course of many repairs and modifications. What was your point again?

While we're at it, I'd also be interested in a 2016 26" Fox Float 34 20mm. But NOPE.

I'm an advanced DIY'er in the automotive suspension area and actually own the tools to do virtually anything to a car's suspension. Including air tools, a 230v mig welder and a 20-ton press. Though I haven't done much lately and am a bit out of practice, I have had Macpherson strut suspensions entirely apart over the course of many repairs and modifications. What was your point again?
    you seem pretty smart so read back and see if you can figure it out so then if you really can't ... I will help you
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

you seem pretty smart so read back and see if you can figure it out so then if you really can't ... I will help you
    Oh no, please explain it to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Car strut suspensions have a thing called a lower control arm.
    True, but control arms handle loads in both lateral and longitudinal directions; extending this logic, standard forks should have a leading link to alleviate bending loads. By the time all the components are in it's lighter/stiffer to build for the bending loads; with an adequate area moment of inertia and such.

Damian is well educated and killing it with the online calculators, though, so as soon as he sees what a bike looks like from the side we should witness some real insight.

I haven't bought a complete new bike since 1992. Although at this point, my bike is 90% new in the last two years. Only things carried over are the seat, seatpost, hubs, rear derailleur and most of the brake set.

My problem is the only really good light modern 20mm fork is the Fox 36, at $700+. I picked up a used Revelation 20mm a couple months ago but I'm on the fence about it's condition and performance. I have two wheelsets that are 20mm, and it would be $80 to convert them to 15mm, but that's a downgrade. I could get a pike, then spend the money for the hub axle caps, but why not just get the Fox 36 for the same total outlay?

If the new lyrik was available in 20mm and 26", I'd be all over that. But evidently SRAM is run by morons. The pinkbike comments about the new lyrik speak volumes - there still plenty of people out there that want to by high end 26" forks as evidenced by how well they are selling and selling out. 26" Pikes are the best selling forks on many online retailers, and 26" 2015 Fox 36's are nearly sold out for the year.

SRAM did a bunch of market research. The number of people who really want 26" stuff is shockingly low. TO add you can run a 27.5" fork in a 26" application without ill results.

Second your "all knowing" online calculator leaves out a whole bunch in the equation of "how stiff is my fork". The axle is one of many things that creates a "stiff feeling" fork. To add, the way this is calculating stiffness is overly simplifying the equation. Finally, for a second, lets pretend you are right and it is 160% stiffer. The question is does that even matter. Put a different way, if there was a 30mm axle that was 1,032% stiffer would this now be the answer? In my opinion, no (unless is an inverted design) because 1,032% on top of "way stiff enough" doesn't help anything. Its stiffer on top of so stiff you can't tell a difference. I'd argue this is the exact same thing with 15mm to 20mm. You really want to make 15mm stiffer? Cool, add pinch bolts. (or do this stupid boost thing RS is doing - which does stiffen the interface substantially just have to add some proprietary shit which I'm sure will be standard in the next 2-3 years)

Fact is SRAM isn't making parts for crusty old dudes like you. There is a parts swap on PinkBike where you can pick up a Marzocchi Z1 from 2003 that'll suit you just fine. You also bummed bikes don't come with cantilever brake mount points too? The industry has to move forward - and though you can't see it at the moment, SRAM is actually trying to get rid of standards, not add them. (26", 20mm - they'll both be dead in 3 years the same way 1 1/8" headtubes, 1.5" headtubes, 135xqr are dead/dying...)
    Last edited by JeffreyJim; 08-03-2015 at 09:32 AM.

SRAM did a bunch of market research. The number of people who really want 26" stuff is shockingly low. TO add you can run a 27.5" fork in a 26" application without ill results.

Second your "all knowing" online calculator leaves out a whole bunch in the equation of "how stiff is my fork". The axle is one of many things that creates a "stiff feeling" fork. To add, the way this is calculating stiffness is overly simplifying the equation. Finally, for a second, lets pretend you are right and it is 160% stiffer. The question is does that even matter. Put a different way, if there was a 30mm axle that was 1,032% stiffer would this now be the answer? In my opinion, no (unless is an inverted design) because 1,032% on top of "way stiff enough" doesn't help anything. Its stiffer on top of so stiff you can't tell a difference. I'd argue this is the exact same thing with 15mm to 20mm. You really want to make 15mm stiffer? Cool, add pinch bolts. (or do this stupid boost thing RS is doing - which does stiffen the interface substantially just have to add some proprietary shit which I'm sure will be standard in the next 2-3 years)

Fact is SRAM isn't making parts for crusty old dudes like you. There is a parts swap on PinkBike where you can pick up a Marzocchi Z1 from 2003 that'll suit you just fine. You also bummed bikes don't come with cantilever brake mount points too? The industry has to move forward - and though you can't see it at the moment, SRAM is actually trying to get rid of standards, not add them. (26", 20mm - they'll both be dead in 3 years the same way 1 1/8" headtubes, 1.5" headtubes, 135xqr are dead/dying...)
    You've become such an industry shill/tool it's not even funny. You should hear youself, nobody here takes you seriously. Split, kook.

Here's how it REALLY went down:

GIANT's parent company decided way back in early-mid 2012 that it had missed the boat on 29'ers taking over the XC/Gaper/Dentist section of the MTB market. They also didn't like having to supply two different wheel sizes (29/26) throughout their line and the lines of other companies they build for. They took a look at the few wankers on MTBR man crushing on Kirk Pancetti's 650b wheels, and decided - "Hey, look at this! It's an in between wheelsize! Wow! If we really push this, we can get rid of 29er's and 26" eventually, plus sell a bunch of new bikes because nothing will be compatable. NICE. Start hyping this stuff right away!!!"

Roll around to mid 2013, and the PR blitz is in full swing. 26" is declared dead by the industry. Nevermind that 80%++ of bikes in service are 26". SRAM makes something up, everybody makes something up, based on the fake hype they create.

In 2014, 650b was only about 15% of the market by dollars, and well under 10% by units. 29er's continue to dominate new sales, with 26" still 30%. Most of the people buying new 650b's are the dentist/poser/wanker/noob set. There is still a MASSIVE holdout group of veteran 26" trail riders, a large percentage high end bike users, that will never buy a 650b or 29" bike - those sales will be lost until someone fills the void. 2014 bike sales were down 10% in dollars, and I'm quite sure much of that is from MTB's flat sales of 650b.

Once all the gaper/posers buy their 650b's, the maket will be very flat. People will continue to be learly of the wheelsize, at the should be. 26" holdouts will hold out and someone will satisfy their market. 29ers will continue to dominate. By 2017, 650b will be deemed a stupid fad and a sales failure, being gradually phased out in favor of the "more fun" 26" wheel by the end of the decade.

SRAM makes overpriced plastic crap. You sound like a marketer trying to pretend they know something about engineering.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 08-03-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Hey damian, you want some stickers?

I have over 200 of them.