Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Just so we are clear...

DCamp (David Camp) is an engineer at SRAM. He used to be an engineer at Trek. That may add up to "david camp loves introducing new standards" when nothing could be further from the truth. He's anti-new standard unless it really makes a material difference.

David is also faster/a better rider/smarter than any of you (when it comes to bike engineering). I promise. Watch for a top 20 in this weeks EWS if not better out of the pinner. Google him if you want a bit more background on who is fighting the good fight over there at SRAM

This whole axle thing is silly. I complained about the 15mm axle the day it was introduced. I still think we should have just kept the 20mm standard and called it a day. But the gram pinching XC guys want something as stupid light as they can get it, the lawyers (and riders) all want QRs gone and the engineers are plenty smart to make a 15mm interface stiff enough for any of us. What we don't need is two axle sizes when they are this incredibly close to each other. Its stupid. Ideally we can all agree on a few wheel sizes and one rear hub spacing/axle size and one front hub spacing/axle size. I realize we all think "man it was good as it was, why keep changing it"...current spacing came from...road bikes....30 years ago. What we are doing is a bit different.

I just hope smart guys think this one through so we can leave it be for at least 5-10 years!

Whoever said something about lack of pinch bolts is right. That's a real way to add stiffness over the current RS system.
    He's worked for two of the most over hyped major companies in the industry, and designed a pretty whack DH bike. I'm pretty sure we shouldn't be listening to anything he has to say, regardless of how good of a rider he is.

It's a common misconception that the bike industry engineers are some sort of wizards. ROFL. Almost every other industry is more challenging. Trek can't even do better than (what is in reality) a single pivot suspension design.

You may possibly be completely wrong because the lefty is the dumbest thing in the universe altho it is way stiffer than any thru axle?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Highway Star rages against accepted standards in jeans.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You may possibly be completely wrong because the lefty is the dumbest thing in the universe altho it is way stiffer than any thru axle?
    The lefty is the biggest abomination in the universe. It's pretty dumb too.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    The lefty is the biggest abomination in the universe. It's pretty dumb too.
    It caused hatred just because it has one leg????

The think is a great piece of engineering.

Ugly as sin, but lots of great engineering works are.

the best most fun thing about the lefty is when people look down at the bike and say "Hey there is only one fork leg!?" to which I reply "Holyfuck where did the other one go!??" and it happens almost every ride

in real life the only thing that ever went wrong to on the spv 140mm lefty was when new the triple clamp strut bolts loosened off and needed to be properly tightened with a tork wrench, I never had the wheel off cuz you can change tires without taking the wheel off, I never did anything to the fork, it just works real well/exactly the same as it ever did when new and I forget there is only 1 leg except it doesn't ride no hands when I try to show off riding down mainstreet to the coffee stand

you want dumb i will tell you whats dumb and I will wager a case of brown pops that DS drives an MV that has a front strut so he doesn't have a leg to stand on ... not a lefty not a righty

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    It caused hatred just because it has one leg????

The think is a great piece of engineering.

Ugly as sin, but lots of great engineering works are.
    Taking an inherently bad idea and pouring a bunch of engineering into it does not make something *good*. Cannondale has some of the the most ill-conceived, gimmicky designs in the history of mountain biking. Right up there with crank brothers. No experienced bikers take them seriously.

The lefty is the bastard child of two marginal Cannondale designs, the Headshock and Moto FR fork. The needle bearings were developed for the headshock, and they put them in a normal(ish) fork, the Moto FR. Complete overkill. Take one leg away, invert it, and you've got the lefty. The reason Cannondale's products are unique is because most of them are a *bad idea* in the first place.

http://www.vintagecannondale.com/can.../headshok.html

Please educate us on what is such a bad idea about the needle bearings.

Just saying it's a bad idea doesn't make it one.

Please educate us on what is such a bad idea about the needle bearings.

Just saying it's a bad idea doesn't make it one.
    I'm a huge fan of needle bearings, roller bearings, and linear bearings. They are not practical to use in suspension designs.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ar...crum-dh-43964/

I tested the 1st years offering of 140mm lefties at interbike in fact I tested 3 of them and I bought the bike, they all (4 if you include the bike I bought) work as advertised, you go to the C-dale booth buddy would ask what you weigh, he sets it up according to the little card you get with the bike and viola great balanced all mountian ride

i also tested the 1st year of Giant reign so while the back end didn't feel too bad there was some 5-6 " fork up there that felt like shit/was puking oil which was not setup for me let alone in working order, I imagine its been beat on by industry types (but so had the lefties) so I'm test riding a bike made by THE largest bike company in the world which rides like shit/is failing, every industry type interested in the 140mm AM bike category would have ridden that same POS still I'm pretty sure there were way more reigns sold than prophets that year, which is what a major company is supposed to do to stay a major company ... sell bikes

I'm pretty sure a lefty is a bad idea if you can't sell it?

caveat: I am just some old hack who is not in the industry
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-31-2015 at 01:43 PM.

I tested the 1st years offering of 140mm lefties at interbike in fact I tested 3 of them and I bought the bike, they all (4 if you include the bike I bought) work as advertised, you go to the C-dale booth buddy would ask what you weigh, he sets it up according to the little card you get with the bike and viola great balanced all mountian ride

i also tested the 1st year of Giant reign so while the back end didn't feel too bad there was some 5-6 " fork up there that felt like shit/was puking oil which was not setup for me let alone in working order, I imagine its been beat on by industry types (but so had the lefties) so I'm test riding a bike made by THE largest bike company in the world which rides like shit/is failing, every industry type interested in the 140mm AM bike category would have ridden that same POS still I'm pretty sure there were way more reigns sold than prophets that year, which is what a major company is supposed to do to stay a major company ... sell bikes

I'm pretty sure it s a bad idea if you can't sell it?

caveat: I am just some old hack who is not in the industry
    Awesome. I tested the Lefty when it originally came out in 2000. It flexed, unevenly.

I also tried a rocky mountain RM6 that year and broke the swingarm pivot on a 1-1/2 ft drop in the parking lot. Ooops.

So in 1998 in the early versions the needle bearings needed to be reset. Not an issue with current forks so they must have worked something out over the years.

Again why is the Lefty such a bad fork from a performance and engineering aspect?

Damian, do you have a blog for all your wisdom? I think the world needs a blog from you. With videos of you riding, too.

There are lefties and there are lefties, some of the oldies i admit may have been wanting, the 140mm didn't come out till 2004 and there were 3 models that year ... cheap, spv (pretty good) and carbon strut ($$$)

the rm6 rear end had 6 inches of travel up down AND sideways

you do drive a car that uses a strut on the front wheel ... fess up!

if you got a car with front forks please post a pic and tell me where I can send your beer

So in 1998 in the early versions the needle bearings needed to be reset. Not an issue with current forks so they must have worked something out over the years.

Again why is the Lefty such a bad fork from a performance and engineering aspect?
    Having one leg makes them an *inherently stupid* design. Just like it would be *inherently stupid* to select a 15mm axle over 20mm for any sort of longer travel suspension fork.

I can't comment on their performance, because no serious biker would run them. They seem to have some nice engineering, as do most cannondales (with a horrible design concept).
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 07-31-2015 at 02:59 PM.

the rm6 rear end had 6 inches of travel up down AND sideways
    Rocky mountain really blew it at the time by not touting their 3 degrees of freedom suspension designs.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    I can't comment on their performance,
    Obviously.

Cuz they're friggin good. And you owned an rm6, therefore your argument is invalid.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

"He entered the professional mountain biking scene in 2001, then part of the Volvo/Cannondale team.

He races in downhill and four-cross (4X) on the UCI World circuit. Gracia rode for the Rainer-Wurz Siemens Cannondale team between 1999 and 2005, "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A9dric_Gracia

Cedric was a very large dog in DH/4 cross and a seriously crazy dude, think a french version of Shaun Palmer

http://www.cannondale.com/can_en/teams/

I think C-dale do pretty good in road & xc mtb

Maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard (who is still waiting for a pict of the front fork of yer car) but i think its all about spancership/money/support?

I forget the specifics but I remember back when only real climbers were on Everest some climber offering the idea that if some one would pay he could get a toaster oven to the summit of Everest
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-31-2015 at 02:21 PM.

I know two riders that absolutely shred on lefties. They don't post much on the internet tho

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Rocky mountain really blew it at the time by not touting their 3 degrees of freedom suspension designs.
    I think rocky had a huge fanboy base from the early HT days certainly/especialy up here in BC, a rider I would see in PG said to me "oh yeah! Its a rocky eh, its great I broke 4 of them ! "

I said "wait you broke 4 rm6's and still say its great bike? "

Everyone I know who owns a lefty keeps a spare on hand for when their "main" one breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Everyone I know who owns a lefty keeps a spare on hand for when their "main" one breaks.
    I do that with 'normal' forks.

Obviously.

Cuz they're friggin good. And you owned an rm6, therefore your argument is invalid.
    No, I had a Foes which was quickly replaced by a FSR Team DH (you know, Palmer style), back then. Rode the RM6 for about 100 ft in a parking lot at a bike demo, before it broke.

I do that with 'normal' forks.
    yeah, but you're a hack!