TGR looking for a tour manager. What a joke!

I just saw in TGR's ad for the tour manager position that they require a college degree for the position. Is that a joke? Is that how meaningless degrees are now?

https://www.tetongravity.com/company/jobs

In Jackson there are five pages of help wanted, but three to five listings of places to live, if that. The housing predicament in the valley is making it impossible to find employees. All places wherever you says 'Help Wanted', but the valley is at 'No Vacancy'.

Building housing for everyone was ignored for so many years & now everyone is suffering because there are 15-20% more jobs need to be filled, but NOWHERE to live. If you got a good spot in Jackson, you can find a good job, but only if you have a spot in Jackson.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    This kind of stuff is always interesting to me. No land available to build on? Are developers priced out and building apts/townhouses just not economically viable? Town against new development?

Move to a remote, isolated mountain town to escape the stress, high living cost and competitive atmosphere of the city. Oh, wait, you get to enjoy all that bullshit with a minimal upside in Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    This kind of stuff is always interesting to me. No land available to build on? Are developers priced out and building apts/townhouses just not economically viable? Town against new development?
    No land–97% is fed land in Teton County. A few monster ranches with a ton of flat, buildable space but no incentive to sell off and build anything except 40-acre pocket ranches. Free market prices are way up, as is cost of construction, so there's no natural incentive to build any affordable housing. Town is desperately trying to figure it out but struggles to overcome some priority issues (say, being "fair" to downtown property owners by maintaining an existing lodging overlay vs. rezoning it as mixed-use residential) and is drowning. Something like 1300 new units are needed each year to house the existing workforce, but they can only scratch and claw and town council their way to get up a few new units here or there. There's the "maintain the character of Jackson" crowd, too, but IMHO, Jackson has no cohesive or appreciable character compared to a place like Park City or Crested Butte. It'd be great just to bang out some 10-story apartment buildings in town, but that'd be too logical.

Anyways, I'm sure the right person w/o a college degree could apply for that job... Todd never graduated and it's his company, so I'm sure he could empathize with the right applicant. We would prefer, at bare minimum, some online classes from University of Phoenix in Spreading The Stoke and Advanced Action Sports Customer Service.

It seems like the kind of job that would keep you pretty busy, especially in the Fall, and it says you can telecommute. Don't really see what's to make fun of. Maybe how little they can get away with paying you but yeah, supply/demand.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

they've got some shoes to fill

Quote Originally Posted by tgrweb View Post
    No land–97% is fed land in Teton County. A few monster ranches with a ton of flat, buildable space but no incentive to sell off and build anything except 40-acre pocket ranches. Free market prices are way up, as is cost of construction, so there's no natural incentive to build any affordable housing. Town is desperately trying to figure it out but struggles to overcome some priority issues (say, being "fair" to downtown property owners by maintaining an existing lodging overlay vs. rezoning it as mixed-use residential) and is drowning. Something like 1300 new units are needed each year to house the existing workforce, but they can only scratch and claw and town council their way to get up a few new units here or there. There's the "maintain the character of Jackson" crowd, too, but IMHO, Jackson has no cohesive or appreciable character compared to a place like Park City or Crested Butte. It'd be great just to bang out some 10-story apartment buildings in town, but that'd be too logical.

Anyways, I'm sure the right person w/o a college degree could apply for that job... Todd never graduated and it's his company, so I'm sure he could empathize with the right applicant. We would prefer, at bare minimum, some online classes from University of Phoenix in Spreading The Stoke and Advanced Action Sports Customer Service.
    Dude, you're nestled right there next to two spectacular national parks. Sorry, but, it ain't New Jersey or some other flat strip mall hell where they just "bang out some 10-story apartment buildings in town" when there is profit to be made renting to anybody. I know, it's tough to live there because of all that, and, I sympathize. I'd love to live there, too. But, I can't, and, please, be careful what you wish for if you want it to be easy for others. Let's not make such a pretty place be like, well, Vail or Summit county, please.

Not naming names, and I've never mentioned it before, but here's some advice: if you still have people helping you out with local shows, don't screw them over by being incredibly inept and disregarding promises made. That series of incidents and dealing with this person really changed my thinking about how TGR is run (not that I was expecting a cracker jack exec team). Hopefully it's better now, but I've heard other nightmare stories from at least one previous employee. Good luck to the new guy, and I hope you don't fuck those who put in a lot of hours/effort to help you.

Not taking anything away from the movies...
    [quote][//quote]

They're also looking to fill three internship jobs with no pay and minimum 30 hours a week at the TGR headquarters. Pipe dreams...

so who got the tour manager job, and how is it?