Steelhead set up

I haven't been an angler that long, but I got the bug. I have a few trout rods now and am pretty efficient at catching trout but a life long angler friend of mine has been bugging me to get a steelhead set up so I can float with him and have my own gear. So I picked up a Reddington rs4 9'6 8wt. Read the reviews asked some other friends and picked it up off craigslist for cheap. I know it's kind of an intro rod but the reviews on it spoke pretty highly of its capabilities. Owner says he only really nymphed with it, but I'd like to be able to swing on some smaller runs on the D. Anybody have any suggestions to what I still need from a reel and line? Any advice would be great.

Rio Versitip in either an 8 or 9 weight, I'm not sure how stiff the RS4 is. Reel could be anywhere from a Pflueger Medalist up to the latest and greatest. I have a Lamson Konic 3.5 and have been happy with that.

Fishing spinners/spoons for steelhead can be a ton of fun too and a good way to get a handle on where steelhead tend to be found. There you could be set with 100 dollars of rod and reel and some spoons if you want to have something similar to swinging flies.

do people swing spoons?

look for a reel weight matched to the rod (likely 7-8) and that has mostly metal innards.
    cheaper reels tend to have plastic bits in the drag assembly and that stuff wears out after a little while.
    if you're buying off CL, just pop open the reel and look at the mechanics

i have a cheap 8wt (st croix imperial) and it works great on the deschutes...you don't need to just fish the smaller runs

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    do people swing spoons?
    I certainly do and it's a hell of a fun way to fish. I threw the idea out there because I think it's a good way to get a handle on steelhead holding locations.

When I spinner fish it's more cast and retrieve across current but when spoon fishing I'm always swinging them.

That said the OP probably doesn't want to buy another setup so maybe it was shitty advice.

Chasing steelhead requires multiple lines so it helps to have a reel that is solid enough to handle a 10-15lb fish in current and yet still affordable enough that an extra spool or two isn't cost prohibitive. At the very least, you need two spools; one for a floating line and one for a sinking line. For sinking line, obviously one must match the line sink rate to the water depth and speed and that's going to vary a lot. Multi-tip systems provide you with an option that only requires one spare spool. A standard weight forward floating line is good for skating dry flies or swinging wet flies in shallow water. Steelhead in warm summer water will rise to a fly but winter steelhead tend to hug the bottom and you have to get your fly down to them. Swinging flies is traditional because its the best way to effectively cover a lot of water per cast. Thus, when swinging, you want a line and rod that casts as far as possible to cover the most water.

Sometimes the traditional wet fly swing is useless and then a fast rod paired to line with a weight forward head is a severe handicap. If you want to chase wild winter steelhead in the coastal creeks and small rivers, you often won't be able to swing flies in the traditional manner because the water is too small, turbulent and full of structure and the trees leave little or no room to backcast. You will mostly indicator nymph into pools, pockets and runs and and you will want a floating line that has a long belly suitable to roll cast and mend. A medium action rod is best for close to medium range nymphing. I have no idea why some self-proclaimed steelhead purists look down on indicator nymphing because, imho, its the only way to effectively fish small streams. I guess those guys stick to water suitable for swinging. Coastal streams make a great winter fishing trip. The air by the sea is relatively warm all winter and the crowds suffocating Hwy 101 are gone. For me, who always fishes in the high desert/alpine, fishing in a coastal rain forest is a really welcome change of setting. Except for all that poison oak and wader shredding briars. You guys can keep that shit.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-28-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    do people swing spoons?
    Dick Knight's work really well on spray rods, don't ask me how I know this.

Split, Check out the Wulff Ambush Line, it's got a short heavy head so it will turn over a big fly, handle wind, and roll cast real easily. It will handle a pretty beefy sink tip on the end when it's necessary, and you can do some single hand spey casting with it. It indicator fishes pretty well too.

Pop in Deschutes Angler and check em out, they're good peeps and will get you squared away.