Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    ^so true. I don't trust a roofer that doesn't smoke weed.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    The podium for most medicated/faded/pickled/burned tradesmen had to be in no particular order

painter
    drywalls
    insulators
    Got to add masons to the list. Like drywallers, alcohol seems to be the vice of choice. My brother was a masons tender in HS and part of his job was driving the company van to the jail each day to pick up the work release guys. He was the only one with a valid drivers license.

Spent a couple of summers painting high on a ladder. It was mandatory for anyone working on the crew.

Maybe it will be easier to list the trades without serious abuse issues, are there any? maybe electricians? Of course we shouldn't just be picking on the blue collars, plenty of whiskey, weed, and blow (at least in the 80's-90's) within the architecture community. Probably why the trades drink so heavily..........

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Just curious, fastfred, and you don't have to answer, but...meth?
    I do drywall and concrete and labor

I can make that hole in the wall you punched cause your wife and kids hate you look like it never happened when I'm done

just hate people who think they are smarter than me and want to ass fuck me like this dick head danno

no meth no drinking I'm pretty straight up

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I do drywall and concrete and labor

I can make that hole in the wall you punched cause your wife and kids hate you look like it never happened when I'm done

just hate people who think they are smarter than me and want to ass fuck me like this dick head danno

no meth no drinking I'm pretty straight up
    So your saying that that work is up to some acceptable standard or that he should pay for substandard work? If you think it's acceptable, we'll just disagree.

With contractors and professionals, the more leadership you can provide, the better your outcomes.

My sainted mother's 11 SEER A/C took a hiatus last week, and she got quotes. Peak Season for A/C. Three bids clustered around $6K.
    She made me VP of R/D, so I Googled and then downloaded a Manual J spreadsheet and then bought her a 16 SEER heat pump and had it installed by a moonlighter last Saturday for $2300 less than her cheapest bid, which used a 14 SEER R401 conventional system and her existing single-speed evap coil and air handler.

She didn't expect me to buy it and tried to buy the major parts, but the Goodman distributor wouldn't sell to her anyway. I skipped the refrigerant and bought the major parts over the phone long distance, and the tech picked it up on his way home from work Friday. I arranged the tech with a referral from someone solid, and he did not disappoint...

My mother said he and his helper woke her up at 0655, the first day she had overslept that she could remember. This guy lives 35 miles away, a friend of a friend. Charged my mom $750 for the install + $110 for the R401. Hardest part of the job was the thermostat wire, and hauling out the old units and new packaging. They swept up after themselves and used their own damn garbage bags.
    She made them a big 'ol country dinner, they were nondrinkers and her garden's blowin' her out this summer. They left at 1710 with big sacks of veggies and herbs, job well did. It took about 5 hours for the interior to go from 90ish to the thermostat setting of 74. Outside, it was still 95 at 2200. Sized just right, as it needs to run long enough to dry the air in her climate and prevent mold.

She made herself an informed buyer, and it was worth her while. Big money was saved on a standard sort of job because she led the thing all the way through and was good to work with. Win/win is good business.

Danno should have such a nice son like you
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    just hate people who think they are smarter than me
    I've been reading your posts here for long enough to know that most people here are in fact smarter than you. And let's be honest, that's not a particularly high bar.

FEEL. THE. BERN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    So your saying that that work is up to some acceptable standard or that he should pay for substandard work? If you think it's acceptable, we'll just disagree.
    if your a contractor builder tradesperson etc you should know

you must manage and be aware of unreasonable expectations that the customer has all these people out there have unreasonable expectations danno is one of them he had the expectation that a painter could make his house look perfect he found some sucker painter to do the work the, painter should have known that those expectations could never have been met its a failure on both sides now he wants to fuck him for the last payment

I charge absolute top dollar to do work I charge so much that as colordo is booming with work I'm not really working that much don't give a fuck, I woulda walked away from a customer like danno in a second

piece of shit customers get piece of shit workers it's as simple as that you get what you pay for society is looking for the absolute cheapest price on everything from concrete to a pair of jeans no one wants to pay anymore than they think they have too

well I gotta go pour a wheelchair ramp for your sister this morning hope the slope is ada if not she's gonna get a good ride

Exterior House Painting Question

Wow. Way to ramp this thread up, ff.

Setting the handicapped bar pretty high.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

you can't make chicken salad out of chicken poo

actualy FF is 100% right if that contracter had been smart enough to walk away from a bad job he would not have the problem he has, he could have taken a plum job that makes him money and the customer happy instead nobody here is gona be happy

Danno would still be 4300$ further from the re-siding job that he really needs but thats his problem
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For those looking for closure or for those looking for an opportunity to call me more names:

I sent the painter a letter explaining all the issues with his job; primarily the flashing but also the shitty work he did all over the house. It was a long list and we have a shit-ton of pictures. I explained that given how the flashing needs to be removed and a few boards replaced (again, many of the boards were fine) and all the siding needs repainting (flashing was installed before painting) and given that we had a quote for ~$1300 to do this work to repair his fuck up, I would not pay him the full balance of his quote. And even after getting that work done, we'd still have a lot of touch-up work to do, because his job was just that bad (and he knows it). I offered him a settlement amount of $500 to just go away. He deposited the check this week.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I will also gladly not paint your house or do the needed repairs for $500. PM me and I'll get you the addy on where to send the check.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I will also gladly not paint your house or do the needed repairs for $500. PM me and I'll get you the addy on where to send the check.
    I'll do nothing to your house for $450.

(It's usually best to get three estimates for this kind of stuff)

(( also - I can probably get you on the schedule to start doing all of this fuck all for the middle of next week))
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

As someone who wouldn't be your attorney for a $100K retainer, I concur with the above and will not paint your house for $400 right here FTMFW. PM with your email for forwarding of PDF bill. I accept ACH transfers with no upcharge.

I'll not do it for $375, and I accept Visa, MC, and PayPal.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'll not do it for $375, and I accept Visa, MC, and PayPal.
    Seems really low.

Danno I'd ask him for references if I was you.

fuck, who knew this place could be such a bargain!

Only difference is I don't even have a colorable "balance due" with any of you wankers.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You usually take the second lowest bid, right? I'll take $390, and pick it up in person. I also promise that my doing of absolutely jack shit will be of a much higher quality than these other fuckwits. I'll throw in top quality fuck-all in for the same price as the low quality fuck-all.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Seems really low.

Danno I'd ask him for references if I was you.
    No kickback for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'll step it up and pay you $100 for the right to come over and fuck up your house to an equal or greater degree that the painter delivered. That's a 4k savings to you. Act now. Limited offer.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    No kickback for you!
    Now it appears I'm out of the running I can let the truth be known... I was going to sub it out to some Mexican guys to do while they're doing nothing in the local Home Depot parking lot.

Those guys can do nothing in twice the time of most of us...

Win-Win.

Masonite siding sucks teh goat balls.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You usually take the second lowest bid, right? I'll take $390, and pick it up in person. I also promise that my doing of absolutely jack shit will be of a much higher quality than these other fuckwits. I'll throw in top quality fuck-all in for the same price as the low quality fuck-all.
    damn, that's hard to refuse. You say you'd do really good fuck-all, eh?