Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I've been involved with a startup lately. Our aim is to be a less shitty alternative to craigslist or ksl for bikes. We process the buyer's credit card up front and hold the money in escrow. We use Facebook to authenticate identities. Etc. etc.

Reqwip.com. Check us out. We are still in beta but users are certainly welcome.
    Sounds exactly like that Panjo Marketplace that got added to gearswap here a few years ago. Hopefully yours is better.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I've had good luck posting things like bikes, laptops, cords of woods on facebook and selling it to friends who knew exactly what they were getting and were happy about it.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by jqualls View Post
    It's a business transaction. No one gives a crap about your sentimental value. If its sentimental hang on to it. People list their crap for near the price you can buy it new and wonder why it hasnt sold. It is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. Its not worth wasting time to go look at a bike if they aren't willing to sell it near what I am interested in paying for it. I get a descent description before hand so I have a good idea of what to expect before going to look at it. Even then I have arrived to an item beat to crap but described as great shape. I personally love buying gear online. With some patience you can outfit yourself with great equipment on a relatively small budget.
    You fucking low balling son-of-a-bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Sounds exactly like that Panjo Marketplace that got added to gearswap here a few years ago. Hopefully yours is better.
    I never understood or used the panjo marketplace thing. If I understood it better, maybe I could use that insight to make reqwip a better service. I'll put that on my to-do list.

I have too many damn jobs ...

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I've had good luck posting things like bikes, laptops, cords of woods on facebook and selling it to friends who knew exactly what they were getting and were happy about it.
    ya, we also have a local FB 'Garage Sale' page which has probably 40-80 posts/day of shtuff...Some pretty dang good deals, and the FB connection gives it some credibility...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

That site looks good, but the price is in the wrong place, it's a little confusing.
    I thought someone was selling some 5.10's new for half price
    Good thing they were probably a little big anyway.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

i find not listing anything other than a phone number and advice of "phone calls only - no other contact responded to" weeds out all but the serious. Of course this is impossible because most people cannot read or just don't so you will still get PM's via PB and texts. But this tact generally works well I have found.

In the online world of anonymity it is so easy and inconsequential to throw out douchebag lowballs so why not? If one cannot, then maybe they'll have to pick up the phone and treat you to the poor starving student noob story you need to move your old bike for way under your ask.

No matter what the medium, I appreciate the use of terms such as "ur bike" "u take 4 it?".

I always prioritize those posts and take money of the sale price just as a matter of gratitude and respect.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

If you think you get low-balled on bikes, try selling a car.

Having said that, I'm asking $1400 for a bike right now and just got an email offering $900.

I just sold a KTM 300, and ran a free local ad in the paper and a Craigslist ad. After dealing with people who could not type english, and offered ridiculous low offers without seeing the bike, or who said they'd take the bike sight unseen for the asking price, I sold it to co-worker of my wife who worked in the local ER. It got to the point where I stopped replying to texts and emails of lowballs and scammers. The next time I run an ad I'm going to only respond to phone calls, and post that in the ad

I always say "will not tespond to texts, call if serious" you still get texts, but when you get a call, you can usually count on them to be interested

Just to be obtuse I almost started a thread titled

Buying on-line: why it sucks

life it tough, tougher if yer stupid, quit whining & deal with it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    life it tough, tougher if yer stupid, quit whining & deal with it
    Thanks, dad. I'll be sure to keep the humor to a minimum on TGR and not mention my hard-knocks life again. Those texts I receive about selling a bike is really tough on me though. Next time I'll grit my teeth and push on through, or I'll just talk to my therapist instead.

why don't you try gritting your teeth ...it worked for Charlie Brown
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I keep reading "Selling bikes online! Why it sucks!?" in a Russian accent.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

In Putin's Russia, bike rides you!
    No longer stuck.

Well, I'd definitely get some offers for a vodka trade and some guns if this was Russia, and I would not be whining about it. Unless it was Stolichnaya, pah!

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I do get a lot of pleasure punking my friends selling their gear on CL. sign up with an alias email, and see how long you can string them along...

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Well, I'd definitely get some offers for a vodka trade and some guns if this was Russia, and I would not be whining about it. Unless it was Stolichnaya, pah!
    Are you more of a Smirnoff man, then?
    *condescending laughter*

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    I do get a lot of pleasure punking my friends selling their gear on CL. sign up with an alias email, and see how long you can string them along...
    That's awesome!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If you think you get low-balled on bikes, try selling a car.

Having said that, I'm asking $1400 for a bike right now and just got an email offering $900.
    Unless its a subaru with 280k miles and a bad tranny. I offered it up for $1,000 before I called salvage which would get me $500. I was just hoping to get a little more than that. After agreeing on the phone to sell it for $900 to someone who was gonna be driving a trailer about 40 miles to get it another guy offered me $1200. This all happened within an hour of posting the ad. Apparently there is a market for the engines even with that mileage.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Eh, there are a couple of base rules around posting stuff online and no need to get your panties all wadded up over entirely expected behavior. I lowball sometimes if I don't need something, because hey, why not get a new bike for cheap if someone will take my offer? It's almost zero effort on my part, and has a high upside.
    My rules for myself:
    1. Figure out the timeframe you want to sell it in - if it's quick, underprice. If you're flexible, go with your "want" price. You can have shit done within an hour with a solid buyer if you price slightly below market, and you eliminate all that wasted time (time = money) dealing with shitheels. If you get all pissed off over lowballers, price it 5% under what others are going for online and you'll likely get a solid buyer.
    2. Email only, preferably anonymized - no way in hell I want someone bothering me on my phone. This is your transaction, so email lets you control when and how you respond to people, rather than getting hassled 24/7 (also eliminates risk from salty people who lose out and decide they want to troll you).
    3. Agree to price beforehand and preferably exchange in public. Cash or Cashiers check only.

Oh, and one more in case you're thinking your stuff is gold.
    0. Post a clear ad with clear pictures and condition descriptions. Price appropriately compared to other market examples. This where 90% of internet bitching comes from, someone posting up their 2 year old bike they bought for $2k and didn't maintain for $1800.

Why do people selling bikes online always tell what they paid for it? I don't care what you paid

^^ Context. And if you don't, it's a pretty common question from interested buyers.