FS - 184 PM Gear Bya - Hybrid

OFF MARKET. Gonna keep these.

Was wondering if there was any interest in these. Great ski made by PM Gear, I just never felt like I got them dialed in. I think I just bought the wrong ski for my goals, so hopefully someone else can give these skis the home they deserve. They're the hybrid layup, but still reasonably light. Pretty normal wear and tear on the bases, the topsheets are in bad shape - pulled back in a few places so I applied some JB weld marine and clamped it down. Some of those spots could use some sanding, I just never got around to it. 2 mounts, one for STH2-13's on the line, one for G3 Ions -1cm of the line, both for about a 295 BSL boot. Around 15 days on them, some resort, some BC.

Info here: http://pmgear.com/skis/bro-bya/

Additional pics here: http://imgur.com/a/ConvP#88ROTdW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	168421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	168422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	168423  
    Last edited by jvskinn; 09-09-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    2 mounts, one for STH2-13's on the line, one for G3 Ions -1cm of the line, both for about a 295 BSL boot.
    Is the mounting line on yours 100cm from the tip? Did you like them better at 101 with the Ions?

Haven't mounted my reverse Bya's yet. I'm ignoring the rocker and debating between 103 and 103.5 going by the center of sidecut being 100cm from tip. If I center the widest points at the tip and tail with 183 Bro Fats (Bro Fat has 10cm more "sidecut running length"), the Bro fat line is about 105cm on the Bya. Figure a rockered ski with sidecut isn't any different than a cambered one when it's carving a turn on hardpack, and most skis seem to have the line about 3cm behind the sidecut. So 103.5 would be 3.5cm back from the Bya waist, but 1.5cm forward of the Bro Fat line. Seems like a happy medium, and looks good eyeballing it.

EDIT: Corrected measurements 2x
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 07-26-2015 at 07:27 PM.

At 100 the ski felt really imbalanced and it threw me around a lot. I definitely liked them at 101cm, much more balanced and versatile, but I still think it could handle a mount a little further back. I think if I end up keeping them, I may take the ions off, remount with alpine binders at 102 or 103 and make this my hardpack/slush ski.

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    I definitely liked them at 101cm, much more balanced and versatile, but I still think it could handle a mount a little further back.
    Ions have more ramp angle, which (unless the toes are shimmed) means they should be a little further back than alpine binders. Going from 100 to 102/103 with alpine binders should be quite a difference. Mounted at 100, the ball of your foot is ~7cm ahead of the side cut (for your BSL), which would load the tips and probably make them real easy to initiate turns but darty at speed.

DPS puts their mount lines ~7 cm behind the sidecut, so the ball of foot is directly on the sidecut for an average size 26.5 boot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Ions have more ramp angle, which (unless the toes are shimmed) means they should be a little further back than alpine binders. Going from 100 to 102/103 with alpine binders should be quite a difference. Mounted at 100, the ball of your foot is ~7cm ahead of the side cut (for your BSL), which would load the tips and probably make them real easy to initiate turns but darty at speed.

DPS puts their mount lines ~7 cm behind the sidecut, so the ball of foot is directly on the sidecut for an average size 26.5 boot.
    The geometry was definitely very different. Initially I was using Tecnica Cochise boots with STH2-13's and with the second mount I was using Ions with Dynafit Mercurys. However, I do feel like 101cm back is a better starting point than 100cm back.

Want to buy em so you have two pairs to play with the mount point on?

Bump. I'm open to reasonable offers.

Bump for the weekend, may be camping Thu/Fri, so if you PM me it may take a day or so to get back to you.

Thanks guys.

Bump for a price drop. Keeping the skis at $250 by themselves, but can go cheaper on the package deals.

Bya + Ions = $550

Bya + STH 13s = $330

Back in town bump. Let me know if you have any questions.

was gonna say $200 shipped but then I looked at the repair pics
    watch out for snakes

Yeah, to be perfectly honest, I've been rethinking selling these, especially considering Splat is closing up shop. I could use the cash, but at the price I think I'll get for these I'd rather just keep 'em. They're great on hardpack and slush, so they've definitely got a spot in the quiver.

Thanks for your interest guys.

If you put some inserts in the extra holes youd have a nice dual purpose rig and the JB should clean off with a combo razor blade scraper and xacto knife.

Next time use epoxy and mask off the adjoining surface with tape, squeeze excess onto tape and peel off after it sets up.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    If you put some inserts in the extra holes youd have a nice dual purpose rig and the JB should clean off with a combo razor blade scraper and xacto knife.

Next time use epoxy and mask off the adjoining surface with tape, squeeze excess onto tape and peel off after it sets up.
    Appreciate the tip, should help me avoid JONGing up a new pair of skis in the future.