Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Are flow trails actually a form of BMX? (not Mountain Biking?)

.....so why aren't people riding them on BMX bikes? To ride them on 29er's seems kind of stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7E8-LiKmHk

Agree.
    Funny to go to a bike park and find very few people on the technical chunky trails, but see hundreds of people slaying the smooth bermy stuff on DH bikes.
    However many are in a shit ton.

BMX - Bicycle Moto Cross

So, yeah, in that sense... for sure.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I love people like you guys. Come ride A-line on a bmx. I've seen it done. It's not fun. Like, at all.

I ride tech trails on my dh sled all the time, they're great. So is ripping jump laps. I fail to see how a video of bmxers on skatepark stuff and a dirt jump line demonstrates anything. If you can't tell the difference between the jumps on a (well built) bike park trail, and the jumps on a (well built) bmx trail, this conversation is pointless.

Highway Star is on a tear!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I love people like you guys. Come ride A-line on a bmx. I've seen it done. It's not fun. Like, at all.

I ride tech trails on my dh sled all the time, they're great. So is ripping jump laps. I fail to see how a video of bmxers on skatepark stuff and a dirt jump line demonstrates anything. If you can't tell the difference between the jumps on a (well built) bike park trail, and the jumps on a (well built) bmx trail, this conversation is pointless.
    Here's an 8 year old riding A-line on a 20" short travel mountain bike, and from what I've seen, A-line is a bit rougher than your average flow trail:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/8-Year-...ideo-2012.html

Tell me you couldn't EASILY ride a 20" or 24" BMX down this....?

https://www.tetongravity.com/video/bi...e-than-a-trail

Are flow trails actually a form of BMX? (not Mountain Biking?)

Most of the flow trails that I've been on tend to have some rough. Some suspension to take the edge off is nice. While some may start out looking like that, they don't stay that way. I agree though, smaller wheeled bikes (26) are a better fit.

Well, here's a 29er on BMX track......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGouMyBD38k

Not that I could do much better, but at least I wouldn't post it.

While that second trail looked smooth as eggs (and a bit boring) I'm sure it's roughed up or will do. As for the 8 year old? 20" for him probably scales up to something pretty big for an adult, no? Same for his "short travel". Idk, I love the grip of a dh bike, and it lets you do side hits into the bramble on boring trails to spice things up. To each their own, the dude in the second video sounded like he was having a blast.

whats funny is most people who complain about riding flow trails suck at .....

pumping
    jumping
    manualling
    and railing berms

are flow trails the end all to be all? no but they are fun some of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    whats funny is most people who complain about riding flow trails suck at .....

pumping
    jumping
    manualling
    and railing berms

are flow trails the end all to be all? no but they are fun some of the time.
    I rode flow trails all day Saturday and was more than happy to get back to techy single track the next day. I think I'd get bored riding a big BMX track every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    I rode flow trails all day Saturday and was more than happy to get back to techy single track the next day. I think I'd get bored riding a big BMX track every ride.
    I have become much better at doing those thing an normall trails after riding flow trails....

Two different aspects of the same sport. Just finding your line and roughing it gets boring as well. That's why most bike park have both freeride/ jumpline / highwayish stuff and ridiculously blocky terrain, at least here in europe. To be honest I'd like a few more nice smooth a-line-ish lines here. The harder stuff is usually rough, and/or with big doubles (no tables) and do or die obstacles/drops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGwbz-ZQ0lA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIGOYRKWls
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Oh, and I don't think that 'bmx' and 'mountain biking' are mutually exlusive
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

#damianrideswithpegs

Maybe, but it is something other than mountain biking, for sure. I understand how endeavors/things/stuff in life evolves, but it is more akin to 'manipulated mountain'-biking. The modern 10' wide shitaqua requires hella alteration of the mountain to occur. It is a form of biking, stunt biking etc. but MTBing, nah, not a chance. Although, if you want to do something easy, then it is for you... If you need a smooth surface for flow, you are missing out on bringing yourself up to the challenge(pretty much missing the entire point of the MTB, IMHO). Some folks live on microwave food; to each their own.

Flow biking is neither! <- If I ever put one on my car, this would be a contender.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    (pretty much missing the entire point of the MTB, IMHO)
    What's the entire point of mountain biking in your opinion?

And I hope you are on a hardtail with cantilever brakes to back up your cranky old man rant.

Maybe, but it is something other than mountain biking, for sure. I understand how endeavors/things/stuff in life evolves, but it is more akin to 'manipulated mountain'-biking. The modern 10' wide shitaqua requires hella alteration of the mountain to occur. It is a form of biking, stunt biking etc. but MTBing, nah, not a chance. Although, if you want to do something easy, then it is for you... If you need a smooth surface for flow, you are missing out on bringing yourself up to the challenge(pretty much missing the entire point of the MTB, IMHO). Some folks live on microwave food; to each their own.

Flow biking is neither! <- If I ever put one on my car, this would be a contender.
    When Gary Fisher was riding a modified balloon tire cruiser on a bench cut fire road in Marin, was that mountain biking? It was a big, wide non-technical trail bed.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What's the entire point of mountain biking in your opinion?

And I hope you are on a hardtail with cantilever brakes to back up your cranky old man rant.
    A little MTB-Philo 1.01 for you...
    Exploring the outdoors, bringing oneself up to a challenge in both skill and endurance. Learning how to ride a variety of slope/terrain within different ecosystems/regions. I could go on... One thing for sure, is that we cherish most what we earn, not what is given to us. Flow gives you the hovering-mother mother approach where as the chunk/natural features allow you to fall and get up and give'r again...

You know why checkers/tiddly winks are such popular board games eh?!

You can hope all you want and it won't change who/how I am or what I ride. Thank you very little.

Ever hear of Chuck Elliot? You know, Gary gets the credit for coining the term and some more innovative stuff, but not the endeavor. Shit, I know of folks in upper Bidwell park in Chico that were riding the trails long before the Repack. Those and the many other Sierra trails are not roads.

Edit: Forgive me for being nitpicky, but weren't those roads put there for cars? Should bike trails essentially be able to accommodate quads, Razzors, cars..etc etc.?

I started out riding mtb trails on my 20" trick bike when I was a kid. I think that's where most of my skill comes from. The freeride bike let me get sloppy but it's probably more fun.

I welcome our new flow trail overlords. They tend to keep the beaters off the good trails.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I welcome our new flow trail overlords. They tend to keep the beaters off the good trails.
    Good point there flow... However, when a new trail or re-route is proposed/built it most likely will end up flow. You know how some folks like to put ketchup on everything...

Ever hear of Chuck Elliot? You know, Gary gets the credit for coining the term and some more innovative stuff, but not the endeavor. Shit, I know of folks in upper Bidwell park in Chico that were riding the trails long before the Repack. Those and the many other Sierra trails are not roads.

Edit: Forgive me for being nitpicky, but weren't those roads put there for cars? Should bike trails essentially be able to accommodate quads, Razzors, cars..etc etc.?
    Well, no, bike trails shouldn't necessarily accommodate fatass conveyances. I just think the bitching of old guys who can't hang is pretty funny when the bitching excludes the repack or the kamikaze from their rather odd definition of mountain biking.

Your second sentence is a broad assumption and does not hold water. For your info, it isn't about age, it is about quality. IMO, for the norm, trails should be difficult and created with the least hand on the land. How about mowing contoured roads through cliffbands in the Wasatch so that everyone can ski them as opposed to what it takes to learn the flow that the difficulty demands...again, you can't have ketchup on everything! The freeride mindset of the late 90's is a great example of bringing oneself up. I rode with plenty of old men in Nelson those days and I never heard them bitch.

This isn't a "Have it your Way" endeavor