Peroneal tendonitis/osis? Anyone experience?

So I've recently been cleared to bear weight and do PT after a calcaneus fracture and surgery to repair. I had been hitting the PT pretty hard, doing 10-30 minutes per day on a stationary bike. I was having some pain and popping in the area of the peroneal tendon but figured it was probably normal when returning to activity. Last wednesday it swelled up and stayed painful throughout the night. I had also had a near fall on Wednesday that resulted in me loading my forefoot suddenly, I was in my aircast at the time and my therapist does not think it resulted in an acute injury, although after the fall is when i noticed the pain and swelling outside of exercise.

I guess my questions are; is there any way to know if it's an acute injury from the fall or tendonitis from overuse without an MRI? I have access to an ultrasound, would that show anything? Do I need to go see my ortho ASAP? If it is tendonitis how long will it take to heal? My therapist has cut back my rehab and told me to ice several times a day and take 2400mg ibuprofen daily.

This is really frustrating after 10+ weeks of not being able to bear weight and is a huge setback. If it was torn or required surgery it would be devastating mentally.

Go to the ortho and make them shoot the MRI. Ortho missed peroneal nerve compression in my kid's leg because they only shot an X-ray. Good thing we pushed matters forward or my kid would have had a foot drop for life. Don't fuck around near the peroneal nerve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1436760637.007076.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	168209

I had peroneal tendinitis backpacking a couple of years ago, although I didn't know what it was called until your post. Started a couple of days into a 5 day trip. It was mild enough to keep hiking and was better 3-4 days after the trip was over. There was obvious swelling over the tendon. Dr Google says an ultrasound can help; presumably it would detect a ruptured tendon although I would think a ruptured tendon would be pretty obvious. Sounds like your therapist is giving good advice. More evaluation if it isn't getting better.

Just be thankful you have peroneal tenonitis and not perineal tendinitis (if there is such a thing).

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Go to the ortho and make them shoot the MRI. Ortho missed peroneal nerve compression in my kid's leg because they only shot an X-ray. Good thing we pushed matters forward or my kid would have had a foot drop for life. Don't fuck around near the peroneal nerve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1436760637.007076.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	168209
    Peroneal n and peroneal tendon are two different things. Peroneal n gets trapped up by the knee or above and in front of the lateral (outer) ankle. OP's problem is behind the ankle. OP--no need to panic. At the ankle the symptom of a trapped nerve would be a numb area on the top of your foot. And in the meantime see my elegant discussion of the nerves, vessels, and tendons at the ankle here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/a.../t-285468.html
    Last edited by old goat; 07-12-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I had peroneal tendinitis backpacking a couple of years ago, although I didn't know what it was called until your post. Started a couple of days into a 5 day trip. It was mild enough to keep hiking and was better 3-4 days after the trip was over. There was obvious swelling over the tendon. Dr Google says an ultrasound can help; presumably it would detect a ruptured tendon although I would think a ruptured tendon would be pretty obvious. Sounds like your therapist is giving good advice. More evaluation if it isn't getting better.

Just be thankful you have peroneal tenonitis and not perineal tendinitis (if there is such a thing).
    Good to hear yours resolved itself with a few days rest, hopefully mine does as well. My fear was that it would last for months like tennis elbow and keep me from trying to return to activity. I'm really trying to avoid anything that aggravates it, unfortunately that includes walking.

Landed switch and went over backwards about 16 months ago.

Ankle was bent and compressed as ski tails dug into snow.

Ankle sprain and foot pain ASAP. Skied through it. Doctor said no tear, but likely nerve damage.

Had a good two months of constant weight bearing pain, and six months of no running.

Pain just disappeared, but took forever. Just got back into running 2 months ago. FYI

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Good to hear yours resolved itself with a few days rest, hopefully mine does as well. My fear was that it would last for months like tennis elbow and keep me from trying to return to activity. I'm really trying to avoid anything that aggravates it, unfortunately that includes walking.
    Dr. Google says some of these take a long time to resolve. Hopefully not yours. But keep in mind that setbacks are part of rehab, pretty much inevitable.