Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wide aluminum rim options (ie cheaper than carbon)

Looking to build up a new set of wheels and would like to find a nice lightish/wideish option.
    I like the idea of the WTB KOM i35. Seems like a step up from Flows or Frequency i25s.
    Any other good options out there?

FWIW, I just built up a set for my wife with Nextie rims. They're great, just want to cut my rim price in half.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Spank Oozy Trail 295s? http://spank-ind.com/products/rim/oo...-bead-bite-rim

That's what I was thinking of getting if and when I decide to build up wheels in the future. I have no experience with them, but they seem like they'd do the trick. Curious to hear other suggestions as well.

^^^ Pretty sure those are just as wide as Stan's Flow EXs with the internal measurement. They're only 29.5mm external.

They make an i35 now? Only see the 25. Check out the DT Swiss Ex471, they're right there weight wise and externally 30mm (no idea internal).

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-...l#.VaArfvlViBU

I had excellent luck with these. There is also a 30mm (internal) one. I'd likely go with that this go around. Its carbon at high end alum prices. (okay slightly higher than that but they are awesome!)

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Looking to build up a new set of wheels and would like to find a nice lightish/wideish option.
    I like the idea of the WTB KOM i35. Seems like a step up from Flows or Frequency i25s.
    Any other good options out there?
    KOM i35's? For reals? Do share the inside scoop...

Blunt 35?

Wide aluminum rim options (ie cheaper than carbon)

Oh shit. I should have said KOM i25. I guess they're 25mm internal width.

Staying away from anything Blunt. Not heard good things about their durability.

re Light Bicycle: $180 + S&H = Double The Price
    Last edited by jm2e; 07-10-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Anyone ride Pacenti tl28s? 23mm(?) internal, tr, eyeletted, sub 500g by quite a bit.
    DT Swiss's new rims look good too. Pinned, but good price/weight ratio. Anyone ride those guys?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Syntace MX35 or 40 rims/wheel set? I have the 35's laced to a set of Chris King hubs and have been very impressed. ~29mm internal width and 500grams. Well worth a look/consideration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1436624068.353382.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	168187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1436624095.647119.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	168188

'Wideish'--- how wide? I'm finding that the koolaid has worn off among my friends who got 30 mm internal width rims, due to cornering issues at high lean angles and/or durability issues. I just built up a cost no object wheelset for my AM bike and decided on 24 mm IW carbons.

Id love to get my hands on some Syntace rims. A buddy of mine in Italy was rocking them and they held up insanely well in crazy rocky terrain at low tire pressures. Have not seen the rims for sale though. Just very expensive wheel sets.

Check out the German component websites for good prices on individual rims. These guys are some of the best I had found https://r2-bike.com/SYNTACE-Rim-26-W35-RIM-559-500g

But those alu syntaces are the same price approx as decent carbon rims eg light bicycle. I think he's looking for sub $100 rims based on his post.

I really like the i25 rim. For me they have been strong, handle well, and mount/hold tubeless REALLY well. I don't think that I've ever burped them. I'm running mostly Maxxis tubeless ready tires and it's been a great combo.

Edit: I have the standard i25, not the KOM.
    Last edited by Dromond; 07-12-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Oh shit. I should have said KOM i25. I guess they're 25mm internal width.

Staying away from anything Blunt. Not heard good things about their durability.

re Light Bicycle: $180 + S&H = Double The Price
    Not sure about your weight, wheel size or riding style. I've been running the 26" 32H KOM i25 this year, replacing mavic XM719's w/ghetto tubeless. They are light (425g on my scale), stiff, and mount tubeless with just a single wrap of tyvek tape, an WTB alloy valve, and 2oz of DIY sealant. $62 each from amazon a few months ago. They are scary light, the sidewalls are like the thickness of razorblades compared to traditional rims, so I'm very careful to check tire pressures before every ride. Running a 2.3 DHF EXO TR and 2.35 IKON EXO TR, 210 lb + gear, 28/32 PSI F/R. On a yeti SB66 with RS revelation team 20mm, built under 28 lb. However, I usually ride solo and almost never do jumps or drops - I prefer a light 6" bike for riding the rock gardens and choppy trails around here, ride pretty smooth but fast, don't break stuff.. No idea how they hold up to repeated rough drops, and I'm sure they dent easy with low pressure and would cut sidewalls. If I was doing more AM/FR or enduro racing, I would have gone with the DT EX471 which is a very proven DH /Enduro race rim and under 500g.

On a side note, I've built my set with 3x 14/15g LF/RR, and 14/17g revo RF/LR spokes, which compensates for the dish of the wheel, balancing out the wheel's lateral stiffness. In other words, thicker spokes on the wheel side with less bracing angle (drive side rear, disc side front), thinner spokes on the side with more bracing angle and less spoke tension. Alloy nipples, used grease on the nipple seats and loctite on the threads.. Old style hope Pro2's, 20mm and 135mm thru axle, total wheelset weight about 1750g without axles. Also note that WTB gives the nipple seat dimension for wheel building, the actual traditional ERD of the KOM i25 is 542mm, or 3mm more than their provided number.

The wheels ride great overall - light, stiff, and are the proper width for the tire while supporting it well. They are over 1 lb lighter per wheel/tire than my spare wheelset, which took some getting used because they don't hold momentum as well, but are far more maneuverable.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 07-12-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Not a rim only option, but I've been on the aluminum Roval Fatties for a few weeks. I really like them. Weight is reasonable. I cant comment on the long-term durability, but they've survived a couple enduros including Keystone. I tend to be really hard on wheels. I've destroyed several carbon rims from various companies.

Best thing is they're going really cheap on the second hand market. Lots of riders dumping them without even trying them because they're not carbon. I picked these up for $200.

The Roval Fattie idea is tempting.

As are the Syntace rims. RadSport in Bend is now the Syntace/Liteville US distributor, and are selling the rims for $170/ea. close to the same price as Nextie/LightBicycle, but free shipping, arguably better and 1000x less gamble. But, I'd still rather avoid the rabbit hole of wheel building costs.

The more I read about them, the more the KOMs sound way too flimsy. I need durability in a rim. Will lean more toward the Frequency because of this.

Yeah, I had the same impression of the KOM. If I were shorter and smaller I'd try them as a daily wheelset, but I know for my size I would be regretting them within a season.

Pinkbike had a writeup of Kona's new bikes yesterday and they spoke about two new rims from WTB, with 29mm and 35mm internal widths.

As are the Syntace rims. RadSport in Bend is now the Syntace/Liteville US distributor, and are selling the rims for $170/ea. close to the same price as Nextie/LightBicycle, but free shipping, arguably better and 1000x less gamble.
    Been close to dropping for a set of Chinese carbon hoops, the 1000x less gamble thing sounds good. Very tempting

This ultra-wide rim crap is ridiculous. I get 23-25, but 30+? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    This ultra-wide rim crap is ridiculous. I get 23-25, but 30+? Really?
    It's crap. Most 2.5" tires are designed for 25mm or less internal.

Mavic has made the EX729 or a similar model (29mm internal) for over 15 years, they are intended for 2.5" to 3.0" tires.

People diggin on these 30+ mm internal rims with 2.2" XC tires, were the ones running their 29er's at 18 psi tubeless, who ride slow on smooth dirt and don't know how to lean and corner a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    It's crap. Most 2.5" tires are designed for 25mm or less internal.

Mavic has made the EX729 or a similar model (29mm internal) for over 15 years, they are intended for 2.5" to 3.0" tires.

People diggin on these 30+ mm internal rims with 2.2" XC tires, were the ones running their 29er's at 18 psi tubeless, who ride slow on smooth dirt and don't know how to lean and corner a bike.
    Sounds about right. It's funny to see them talk about how great the 30+mm rims are because they can drop the pressure under 20 psi. If I did that, I wouldn't be able to ride a single rocky trail and would be bottoming out all the time on the rim. The extra sidewall cuts from the wider tire are a reality as well. Wider rim = wider sidewalls = less ability to shoot the gap.

Do you mean 2.5 or Maxxis 2.5? The new Minion 2.3 is actually true to size and even a little bigger than the old 2.5. A few of their other tires are like that, but some of the sizing on others is correct. For example, my 2.1 Advantages are the same size as the old Minion 2.35s. To get the true size, you need to look at the ETRTO. Honestly, they should just fix the sizing on all their old tires, even if it confuses people for a year.

I don't understand the 1000x less gamble on the light bike carbon stuff. It's not a gamble at all as far as the shipping etc goes. You order, they come.

Is it the carbon?

Seems the rim failure is about on par with any other carbon rim.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

^^i guess I'm thinking more of a possible warranty dealing with 'Kevin' or whatever his name might be. Buying them doesn't concern me.

FWIW I'm looking to run these wider pigs on a 26r as a means to spice up an old bike that is too good to throw away and not worth enough to sell.