South Fork of the Snake Advice Please

Gonna be doing a family float a week from friday, Conant Boat Ramp to Byington Take Out. This will actual be our first float as a family and we a renting a boat. Going with a family where the wife has guided the grand canyon over 40 times, and the husbands skills are pretty good too. She is basically showing us the rowing ropes. Sounds like it is a good river to learn on.

Any advice on what will be hatching and fishing well, or local patterns to check out? We are taking 3 days, so even if we suck and rowing and fishing, we will be able to stop and fish a lot.

Thanks!

Ben

On Thursday there will be a PMD hatch at 12:46, followed by sporadic Pseudocleons starting around 3. Evening caddis hatch, first popping at 6:32. Taupe wing, ecru body. Hackled only on the front half. Downstream drift, then skitter. 4 wt. 5 wt won't work. Blue hat, orange socks. Trust me.

As far as the rowing, that third left hand bend is a bitch. Watch out for that one. Might want to portage.

Is this an overnighter? If not rethink your choice of floats. Conant to Byington is 26 miles... The upper is going to be more user friendly if you're learning to row and the big bugs will be fishing. Dam to spring Creek. The S turn and the newish diversion are spicy down nearer Byington.

Cool, what's your favorite PMD pattern to use on that third bend?

We are taking three days, so 2 nights to get through the canyon.

South Fork of the Snake Advice Please

3 days is a good long time to run that stretch at this water level. Stop a lot and take an upriver camp spot the first night. The SF while not a WW river, is still dangerous! Sounds like the other family is experienced but don't let the relatively flat water fool you. Powerful current that doesn't often get proper respect.

The fish will have seen their share of salmon flies but you should have success with goldens, yellow Sally patters, caddis, and pmds. Assorted attractor patterns too. Streamers will produce looks and takes too. Big bulky shit will work but I'd carry some smaller patterns and give them a shot.

Fish the banks tight but don't be afraid to come off them if you see good buried structure.
    Last edited by schwerty; 07-09-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele'ndaboat View Post
    We are taking 3 days, so even if we suck and rowing and fishing, we will be able to stop and fish a lot.
    Camping in Conant canyon comes with rules, see below. The link also has the designated campsite maps, if you need one. During summer irrigation flows, three days is a long time for only 25 miles so you'd better stop a lot. At 14,000cfs, the river has the volume to push you along fairly fast, even with a headwind. I once rowed from PC5 to Byington (appx. 19 miles) in around three hours to give you some idea of how fast you can move at 14,000cfs if you push down in the main current. If three days means a late afternoon launch on day one, a leisurely day two start and an early afternoon takeout on day three, with lots of stops along the way, you are fine. Keep in mind though, you won't be able to stop at every riffle because many will already have a boat and the miles can blow by fast whenever there is a shortage of places to get out to wade. Personally, I've never been too impressed with the camping options below the roadless area. My favorite site for camping with good fishing adjacent is Pine Creek 5 (PC5). PC5 is the only site I'll do a layover day. Luftkin Bottom is a good one, in terms of scenic view and nice, open campsites. Some of the designated campsites leave a lot to be desired; i.e. a few sites are hacked out of thickets and don't really have a view, an off- current landing or any fishing. The primary tent sites at PC5 and LB are out on points, have good sight lines and, usually, a breeze to keep down the biting bugs.

http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/visit_an...formation.html
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-10-2015 at 11:22 AM.

"Sounds like it is a good river to learn on."

Not a good river to learn on. People die on that river EVERY year, including experienced guides. The current is deceptively strong and fast. If you're taking kids make sure they have life jackets on at all times.

Who is going to be rowing your rental boat? Is the experienced couple going to be in one boat and you and your family in the rental?
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    good learning rivers ussually have canoers ,suppers and scantily clad boobies atop round rubber tubes
    aint never seen none of them on the s f but have fun
    point the ass away from shit you don't want to impact and at 14k cfs
    row hard
    very hard
    lakes are river bunny slopes
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks guys. Turns out we are going to have 2 expert rowers on the trip(i.e. both guided white water for many years, one was an editor at Paddler for a while). So, we should be OK. Your advice did make me rethink our approach, so thanks.

You'll be fine. Just keep an experienced oarsman on the stix or at least in each boat to guide the folks that are learning. Fishing outta be pretty good.

Keep an eye out for the wknd jet boat hatch. It could be epic.

Nice, it can't be much worse than our tube hatch...

Quote Originally Posted by Tele'ndaboat View Post
    Nice, it can't be much worse than our tube hatch...
    Well....jet boats move up river fast and usually, (not all!!), son't pay much attn to non-motorized crafts. Another downside over the tube hatch is that while some of the boats will have boobs to view, they move way faster and tend to not be of the callibur that one might find in a rich tube hatch.

SF Lodge has a decent bar, good wings, a nice outdoor space and ok but way overpriced entrees for a spot after you get off the river. I dig the pizza at Heise too. A little more laid back than the SF Lodge but both are good spots to hit depending on what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Well....jet boats move up river fast and usually, (not all!!), son't pay much attn to non-motorized crafts. Another downside over the tube hatch is that while some of the boats will have boobs to view, they move way faster and tend to not be of the callibur that one might find in a rich tube hatch.

SF Lodge has a decent bar, good wings, a nice outdoor space and ok but way overpriced entrees for a spot after you get off the river. I dig the pizza at Heise too. A little more laid back than the SF Lodge but both are good spots to hit depending on what you're looking for.
    Schwerty we need to go check out that jet boat hatch one of these days soon!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?