Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving beyond retail in the outdoor industry

I've been in outdoor retail full-time for about 2 years now, in management for just over a year, and it's been starting to wear on me lately. I really like being a part of the outdoor industry, but I just need to get away from working in a retail store (at the very least away from my current employer). I'm not necessarily looking for job offers here, but advice from those of you who work for vendors or are sales reps as to how I can set myself up to make that jump into a more viable career path.

I jumped from retail management (general manager of big-box stores; pm for details) to banking. Smartest thing I ever did. Took a big pay cut, but not for long; fuck retail, underpaid and overworked. And no more inventory every six months.

Are you looking at getting in the door of a company? I have a lot of friends that have been office folks for outdoor companies.... They've largely liked their work, and it's not the daily retail grind.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Are you looking at getting in the door of a company? I have a lot of friends that have been office folks for outdoor companies.... They've largely liked their work, and it's not the daily retail grind.
    That's the overall goal. There are many aspects of my job that I like, but the complete inconsistency and stress just aren't worth the low pay. I don't need to be making a ton of money, but it would be nice if I could afford to move out of my parents' house.

I guess what I'm mostly asking about is what kinds of jobs should I be looking for with outdoor companies where my skills/experiences from the retail side will make me desirable to employers? I feel as if I'm at a bit of a disadvantage without a college degree in business or design.

Grass is always greener. I jumped retail management to marketing for the largest manu in my industry and was dismayed by the dick waving contests going on between VP's that killed morale and productivity.

Are you close with any of your sales reps? Might try to get in as a sub rep. Its a tough job but also rewarding. Lot's of nights on the road and relative low pay but you'll get after it a ton and meet a ton of people opening a lot of doors. If you're able to move up there's $ to be made, or its easier to jump into a sales management position in house with a bunch of field experience.

With two year of retail experience you can look for tech rep jobs working either for a brand which can be fun gig or for a rep agency, or in house starting out in dealer/customer service. Both of which are not high paying roles but will get you out of retail and a step in the right direction.

I have known quite a few people move up from dealer service into the product side with minimal product development experience.

If you can make some connections in the outdoor industry, the barriers to entry are pretty low. Being decent at your job is typically more than adequate, and you will stand out if you can meet deadlines and possess modest writing skills. That being said, the pay is also generally shit because you get to "live the dream," or at the very least, delude yourself into thinking you're living the dream. Proform pricing is great, but you can't buy a house or send your kids to private school on gear discounts.

If you want to make that move, go for it, but use an outdoor industry job as a stepping stone into a field that actually pays you a living wage, don't plan on making a career working for an outdoor company unless the idea of being a grey haired bro in a flat brim appeals to you. There's nothing sadder than middle aged men making <$40K a year while trying to look and act cool. Hope you already have a Tacoma, they're required equipment.

I would second tech rep. You probably get to learn the most of the technical side (transition into product development, product line management, sales or marketing). You also get to travel which is fun when you're young before it gets real old and you don't want to go to shops or trade shows ever again.

glademaster is correct, not being an idiot and showing up on time ready to work is seen as going above and beyond. Also, there are good paying jobs you just need to find the correct industry or doing a specific job. Some sections and jobs in the outdoor industry pay better than others.

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific or general questions.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've been thinking that getting a job as a tech rep would probably be the way to go. Those openings just seem to be tough to come by here in the northeast. I'll just have to keep my ear to the ground.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

If you want to ski a lot, don't get a job in the industry.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Years ago I was doing well in another industry that is structured almost identically as the outdoor gear industry, but the products did nothing for me and I was mad about climbing and skiing so thought I'd just jump industries and do similar tasks and functions with products I could be passionate about. I went to the OR show and introduced myself to whole bunch of upper level corporate people. The general response I got was - Don't Do It. By and large everyone I met was working too hard, no longer skiing or climbing much, and not making much money. They got to dress casually at work, play with cool prodcts and hang out at OR but that was about it. They were unfullfilled and felt self-duped to have ended up where they are.

I took their advice and now 10 years later I am thrilled not to have joined the industry. And I suspect people care a whole lot less about gear as they age. It all lasts a long time and is pretty much the same anyways.

Good luck to you either way.

Yeah, if you want to do outdoor stuff often, be a programmer or similar job with stable prospects and a non-reliance on you being uninjured.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    If you want to ski a lot, don't get a job in the industry.
    it'll be my 19th season workin in the "industry"
    i don't count but can mother fuckin gar un tees i ski more than you
    but youre far to fuckin stupid to realize the difference tween workin and earning a livin
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I'd say if you want to work on the wholesale side of things go for a company that does business with people like Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, REI, etc, because they have money to pay you. Little "core" outdoor brands have no money and the retailers they sell their stuff to are going out of business left and right.

Guns, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Knives, etc are where the money is. Climbing gear, skis, etc are super thin margin and not growing very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugach001 View Post
    Years ago I was doing well in another industry that is structured almost identically as the outdoor gear industry, but the products did nothing for me and I was mad about climbing and skiing so thought I'd just jump industries and do similar tasks and functions with products I could be passionate about. I went to the OR show and introduced myself to whole bunch of upper level corporate people. The general response I got was - Don't Do It. By and large everyone I met was working too hard, no longer skiing or climbing much, and not making much money. They got to dress casually at work, play with cool prodcts and hang out at OR but that was about it. They were unfullfilled and felt self-duped to have ended up where they are.

I took their advice and now 10 years later I am thrilled not to have joined the industry. And I suspect people care a whole lot less about gear as they age. It all lasts a long time and is pretty much the same anyways.

Good luck to you either way.
    Couldn't have said it better. I regret the years I spent in the outdoor industry.

It is a joke of an industry- poor pay, poor benefits, very limited upward mobility and an endless line of retail employees looking for their break to get into the wholesale/manufacturer side.

Manufacturers treat their employees like shit, but ride on the reputations of the one or two companies that have somewhat happy employees and good PR (Patagonia). The longer you stay in it the harder it is to move to another industry.

My advice is to steer clear and pursue your passion on your own time unless you want to start up your own brand.

BTW- one of the best ways to be involved, but still have a good life is to be a gear reviewer. Follow the BlisterGearReview model- buy a domain and start reviewing. Make contacts in the industry and get free gear, but get into an industry that pays their employees well.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    it'll be my 19th season workin in the "industry"
    i don't count but can mother fuckin gar un tees i ski more than you
    but youre far to fuckin stupid to realize the difference tween workin and earning a livin
    dude, god love you, but you are not the norm!

A couple of decades on the retail side and I'm just about over it too. I think I've pretty much gone as far as I can with what I'm doing and want a more flexible schedule even if it means taking a (small) pay cut so I'm looking to the supply side. I'm tired of 15+ hours a week commuting, 10+ hour work days and tired of all the one on one with customers that don't get it. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to pull it off but I'm on a mission.

If all you want to do is ski or climb, then yeah, find something that is flexible and pays well and you can afford to do that more than if you work in the "industry."

That being said, if you like gear, talking about the gear, building/developing products, etc, then it can be fun and rewarding. The pay is always going to suck, but that's only one part of the equation.

I worked for a few years for an independent company and loved it. My wife made all the money for the family though and when she got transferred I had to leave it behind. Four years later, I'd love to be back working for a company with like-minded people and products I actually would use and believe in, and not just shilling random stuff.

So after being unemployed for two months I may have figured out a way out of outdoor retail. I have what I think is a pretty fair chance at landing a tech rep job with Magura USA. I've already done a series of phone interviews and now they're flying me out for an in person interview next week. It turns me into a road warrior and comes with a Sprinter van to do it with. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome. Wish me luck...

Nice dude!

Good luck!

Getting closer. Plane tix and rental car res came through today. Next Tuesday is the day. Feels weird (in a good way) because it's been over 20 years since I had to do a real job interview.

Good luck. Seems like an inovative company.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I need a new set of mt6's.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Good luck