School me on Cape Cod Stripers on the fly

I'm heading back east to visit the family/hang out for 14 days or so. The final 4 days will be at my dad's "vacation home" in the "gated community" on cape cod. Its a travel trailer, in a trailer park. Sweet. Anyways, I've been fly fishing seriously in UT for about a year now and was thinking of taking a day or half day charter out and getting some salt fly action. He's based in Bourne/Falmouth but I can travel. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Can I rent gear and just go for it in his little kayak? One of the other park tennants runs a charter company and loves fly fishing, so we're working something out with him. Let me know!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

If you are staying inshore, you can get away with a 8 or 9wt

Offshore, you are going to want a 10wt. There's some big fish being caught with fair regularity right now.

I am down on the CT/RI border and I have been fishing the reef off of Watch Hill. You might call some of the local outfitters. None in my area rent gear, but I only have limited knowledge of what's up on the Cape.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Word, turns out a guy who lives in the trailer park actually runs capecharters.net and regularly goes out for stripers on the fly, so they are arranging some stuff. Thanks!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I don't know Cape Cod, but the Delta is a pretty badass striper fishery. You know what I've never heard on the Delta? "I wish I wasn't casting so far." Get a shooting head on your rod(s) and get someone to show you how to use it. It's nice to have this semi-ironed out before you are trying to fish out of a kayak or with a guide for the first time. Also, while a 10wt is probably better for offshore, casting it, with or without a shooting head, will be a chore. I'd stick to a super fast 8 or a 9wt. You may not have the backbone, but a 10wt is like swinging a broom.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Also, while a 10wt is probably better for offshore, casting it, with or without a shooting head, will be a chore. I'd stick to a super fast 8 or a 9wt. You may not have the backbone, but a 10wt is like swinging a broom.
    So he should get a rod that's twice the $$ and probably not appropriate for his casting ability? He's a 5 wt guy. The difference between 8,9, and 10 is negligible in this case. I've had 10s that fish like 8s and vice versa.

Just take 2 or 3 big rods with different line setups and call it good. You'll be flailing the whole time anyway. Practice.

Twice the $$? I don't see where I indicated anything about price. The Greys GRXI+ was super fast, and I got one for $60 and the other for $80. That and a Echo Ion and you're out the door for around $200. Probably about what it would cost to rent. I felt like the jump to 8wt from a 5wt wasn't too bad. 8wt to 12wt was huge, and the 10wt is right up there for me. The other thing about an 8wt is you could still use that in UT. Bet SFB is using them for those carp he's mining.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    The other thing about an 8wt is you could still use that in UT.
    I agree with that a million percent.

Phall, do you want to borrow some gear? I've got an 8 or 10 you can take, depending on when.

Greys. Good one. I laughed.

Randomly caught this while browsing Perry. I'll be on the Cape in Mashpee the 13th-20th, let me know if you want to grab a drink.

You can swing by and grab my 8wt if you want to do some practice casting at one of the park ponds. Being able to double haul into wind is a huge key to success in the salt. That and a ton of luck.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i throw an 8 for troots quite a bit mostly cause it's easier to send big articulated shizz farther.
    could git them carps w/ a 5 or 6 but i like the backbone and don't need to be taken into the backin or baby them tanks

i gots a 9w ds2 ya can borrow and can tell ya where the poopfish hang if ya wanna practice on some fish ya cant put your hand around
    but you'll miss the fabled green drake and the river ran tru its moron hatch
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks everyone, probably won't be taking a rod back with me, I'm already flying a mountain bike back, and I'm going to pack my 3 wt for the week I'm in Vermont. Hoping the charter works out, but I do think i want to get an 8 or 9 and just leave it with my dad on the cape. Dan, I'll shoot you a text, I definitely should practice. You going to the ginger's tonight?

Just make sure you do it. Take dad along too if he is in to it. Strippers are an incredibly fun fish to land. Here in Maine shore fishing at river mouths is often good.

9 wt. falling tide. At night... Or go the easier route - rent a surf casting rod and get a dozen eels. Well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    You going to the ginger's tonight?
    ayup, I'll bring it with me.

I used to vacation in Pocasset every summer for about a decade when I was younger. Early morning right off the beach was the best time to fish IME, but I suppose that depends on the beach. Tidal rivers were also the hot spots around the time when the tides changed.

I went to Monomoy a couple times (never with fly gear) and caught a large quantity of quality sized blues. But that was before it got partially closed off from a storm.

It is definitely something to look into, I believe they still offer boats rides to various parts of the islands and from there you can hoof it on the flats. If you find the right channels you are going to be on fish. Also bringing a milk crate will allow you to site fish on the flats way easier for cruising stripers. Easier at low tide, once the tide starts coming in it is possible to get stuck if you cross channels.

No doubt that tidal rivers are hotspots. I live at the mouth of the Pawcatuck River which separates Napatree Point and the Watch Hill reef in RI from Stonington, CT. Early season schoolies->big late spring monster stripers->fluke season->school and harbor blues->back to monster stripers->rinse and repeat

-Scottish Proverb

Thanks! Bought my license ($10.00?!?!?! amazing) for Salt Water, and I have an 8 wt Vapen Black, Rise reel arriving before the trip, because fuck it.

, I thought this thread was going to be about strippers.

Either way I guess it's fishy smell

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

I went to Monomoy a couple times (never with fly gear) and caught a large quantity of quality sized blues. But that was before it got partially closed off from a storm..
    Monomoy is now 100% covered by seals. Looks like a black lump of land from afar. If you do get a blue on, by the time you get it to the boat, it's just the head

I've hired a guide 4 times for Maine stripers, and once we stayed at Higgins Beach and I threw from shore at the in and outgoing tides right at the mouth of whatever river. When I was there, the Blues were mixed in with the Stripers, and I lost a few flies. If I switched to a wire leader I wouldn't get strikes. YMMV. I did land a pretty good sized Blue by getting it to catch the corner of his jaw, though. Those things fight hard. I think the line I was using at the time was the "Depth Charge" Anyway, you want a full sink shooting head, and mackerel flies, or whatever the shop sells you.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Monomoy is now 100% covered by seals. Looks like a black lump of land from afar. If you do get a blue on, by the time you get it to the boat, it's just the head
    No shit. Last time I was there was probably 8-10 years ago. I remember there being seals around but nowhere near that populated.

Sounds like they need some population control over there.

and I have an 8 wt Vapen Black, Rise reel arriving before the trip, because fuck it.
    Now you've got no excuse to go after pike with me next spring.

Thanks! Bought my license ($10.00?!?!?! amazing) for Salt Water, and I have an 8 wt Vapen Black, Rise reel arriving before the trip, because fuck it.
    There ya go!

-Scottish Proverb