Khion or MTN Lab boot reviews?

Maybe I'm inept at searching, but I dont really see any reviews rom anyone who got on the prototype Dynafit Khions or Salomon MTN Lab boots. Any one get to try them out?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Maybe I'm inept at searching, but I dont really see any reviews rom anyone who got on the prototype Dynafit Khions or Salomon MTN Lab boots. Any one get to try them out?
    Here's what I wrote about the MTN Lab after half a day skiing in them:

"The new Salomon boots, the MTN Lab and the MTN Explore, share most of the same technologies - heat moldable liners with new Alveo closed cell foam, Surelock walk mode mechanisms that move horizontally rather than vertically, and Sensifit lower shell construction using thin, lightweight walls with strategically placed reinforcing where it's needed for stiffness. Both lower shells are Grilamid (not Custom Shell, but easily punchable) while the cuffs are Pebax on the Lab and Polyolefin on the Explore. Salomon quotes 47 degrees of cuff movement on the Lab and 60 degrees on the Explore. The boots use ISO 9523 soles with full-time tech inserts, you'll need to use a Warden or Lord binding if you decide to mount "alpine."

I was a little skeptical of the nominal 98mm last at first, but it felt pretty damn comfortable right out of the box and after cooking the liner I was good to go for the afternoon - a couple punches for my met heads and left malleolus and I'd be good for the season. The boot is listed as a 120 flex, and is in the same general range as my K2 Pinnacle 130's and the Tecnica Cochise 120, two boots I'm sure Salomon is targeting with the MTN Lab. The MTN Lab, at 1550 grams in a 26.5, is considerably lighter than either of the other two (K2 = 2307 grams, Tecnica = 2008 grams, both 26.5), and skis extremely well. Lateral power transfer is fantastic, and Salomon does a superb job of evenly dispersing pressure over the entire shin with a new tongue design. When Greg Hill, who was there to answer technical questions as well as bro down, said this was his everyday boot for almost all of his lift and self-powered skiing lately, it all added up - this was a badass quiver-of-one shoe."

I didn't ski the Khion, but tried on a 27.5 and walked around a bit in the parking lot at Bend. Here's what my notes said:

"I didn't get a chance to ski the Khion - I'd need to do a few punches to accommodate my met heads first, but I did try it on at the booth and flex it in both ski and walk modes. The boot feels lighter than the advertised 1600 gram weight, and is super stiff when buckled up. A series of molded in ridges between shell and cuff plus stops on the boot exterior lock the boot up like a vise when it's in ski mode. Walk mode is so-so for range of motion, but smooth and the new locking lever is kind of cool - it should work fine with crampons but you'll have to pull your pant legs up to use it. The fit is roomy, especially compared to the Vulcan/Mercury - probably similar in width across the metatarsals, equally tall over the toes, and much taller in the instep (a common complaint area for the Vulcan/Mercury). Medial midfoot width is wider, and there is a pre-molded navicular bump as well. It was very hard to get my foot in this boot, due partially to the BOA not opening quite wide enough for my instep and partially because of the curvature of the heel cup which gets in the way as you step in - once in, it's super roomy, and it's possible I'd size down from my 27.5 Mercury."

how were the Salomon liners? I have yet to buy an AT boot and use the liners that actually came with the boots... With the intent of the boot, I would hope the liners are fairly alpine like (good reinforcements on the cuff and tongue, reasonably firm foam...)

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    how were the Salomon liners? I have yet to buy an AT boot and use the liners that actually came with the boots... With the intent of the boot, I would hope the liners are fairly alpine like (good reinforcements on the cuff and tongue, reasonably firm foam...)
    They were fine for the 3 hours I spent in them. The tongue design was especially good. However, they may make some changes in the production liners in response to tester response - I know Atomic is (the two lines were previewed together, as both companies are part of the Amer Sports group).

Search the Khion thread. I had impressions

Does anyone know if the Salomon MTB Lab boots will be available this fall (2015)? I don't see them on the Salomon website or any of the retailer sites in Canada.

Skied in the MTN Lab since maybe March? Pretty sure it'll be available this fall. Awesome boot. Very light, very simple as far as turnarounds go (i.e. just two buckles and power strap, big ski/walk lever). Skied it on the 189 Hokkaidos, and they were stout enough to handle that big ski on firm inbounds stuff although not a Lange plug boot. If it's soft snow you have more than enough power. One detracting factor I remember is the toe getting relatively chewed up after a few days of rock scrambling.

Have a review slotted for the main site this fall but will try and think of some more notes to share. Pretty impressed on the whole, though.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeler View Post
    Does anyone know if the Salomon MTB Lab boots will be available this fall (2015)? I don't see them on the Salomon website or any of the retailer sites in Canada.
    I talked to a local Canadian dealer and yes they will be.