Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2015 Darwin Awards

Little late in the year to start this but I searched and it looks as if one hadn't yet be started and there was no umbrella "Darwin Awards" thread.

************************************************** ***********************************

LOL! I shouldn't laugh, it's tragic but I'd say he def. got what he deserved:

Man mocks alligators, jumps in water and is killed in Texas

(CNN)A man who apparently mocked alligators, then jumped in the water -- despite warning signs -- is dead after being attacked in Texas.

Orange County Police were called to Burkart's Marina near the Louisiana state line early Friday morning after reports that Tommie Woodward, 28, and an unidentified woman were swimming in a bayou and had been attacked by a large alligator.

Woodward's body was found several hours later. The woman was not injured.

Orange County Justice of the Peace Rodney Price toldCNN affiliate KFDM that Woodward ignored verbal warnings and a posted "No Swimming Alligators" sign and seemed to mock the deadly creatures before going in the water.

"He removed his shirt, removed his billfold ... someone shouted a warning and he said 'blank the alligators' and jumped in to the water and almost immediately yelled for help," Price said.

The "No Swimming Alligators" sign was posted this week after a 10-foot alligator was spotted in the bayou waters.

Witness heard 'An alligator's got him'
    "Please do not go swimming, there's a bigger alligator out here. Just please stay out of the water," witness and marina employee Michelle Wright said she told Woodward.

She said the next thing she heard was the woman screaming, "An alligator's got him." Wright said she used a flashlight in the darkness to scan the water.

In an emotional interview with KFDM, Wright said, "I saw his body floating face down. And then he's out there for a couple of seconds and then he's dragged back down. And then he comes back up still face down and then he gets pulled down again. And then he just disappears."

Wright, who said she knew the victim and his family, said it was a moment she would never forget. She described the events that started out as a late night swim as "heartbreaking."

Woodward had recently moved to the area from St. Louis with his twin brother and was working at a nearby shipyard.

'If the sun is down, stay out of the water'
    Alligators are predatory and territorial. According to Texas Parks and Wildlife, the creature "will eat anything it can catch," and should be treated with caution.

"If the sun is down, stay out the water. That's when they're eating. That's when they're hunting," alligator expert Arlie Hammonds told the affiliate.

Although there have been numerous fatal alligator attacks in Florida, the Orange County attack may be the first of its kind in Texas.

Best one I've heard

2 dead in restaurant buffet fire, 1 person was seen going for more food and 1 person seen stealing tips
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Best one I've heard

2 dead in restaurant buffet fire, 1 person was seen going for more food and 1 person seen stealing tips
    Daughters of a friend of mine were driving along when the car caught fire. As in completely engulfed. They both jumped out, but the younger one had to restrain the older to keep her from going back in for her cell phone. The pics I saw of the car showed a black hulk, with everything that wasn't metal gone.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Daughters of a friend of mine were driving along when the car caught fire. As in completely engulfed. They both jumped out, but the younger one had to restrain the older to keep her from going back in for her cell phone. The pics I saw of the car showed a black hulk, with everything that wasn't metal gone.
    Maybe it was an all metal iPhone?

Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.

The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said.

Just stopped by to post that one^^^^^

Maine man dies while trying to light a firework from his head.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...kills-man-head

HA! I didn't read all of the posts. It looks like this story is making the rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.

I was in Calais, ME just last week. Having spent a few nights in the bars there (both of them) it wouldn't shock me if this type of behavior is. Fairly common.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Did you venture over to Lubec by any chance? Not a lot of genetic diversity there shall we say.

Took care of a guy who used to go to parties and pretend to kill himself by putting a shotgun under his chin and pulling the trigger. Thought it was funny. Someone thought it would be even funnier to load the shotgun for him. Guy blew off his face and the front of his brain. Didn't have the good sense to die although he didn't seem to have a whole lot of brain activity (before or after).

On a similar note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmdd28XL0tU

Mom of man killed setting off fireworks on head: rules lax
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Then were the two guys I saw who got drunk, decided to trim a hedge by picking up a power lawn mower, and cut off all 16 of their fingers, sparing the thumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Didn't have the good sense to die
    DQ'd from Darwins then.

(the being dead part is why they're called Darwins...)

cut off all 16 of their fingers
    Not even close.

had to restrain the older to keep her from going back in for her cell phone
    That's just an amusing anecdote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

http://youtu.be/DlDxgo-L7DM

Going into ice caves during a heat wave where people have died in the past.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/D...=y&clmob=y&c=n

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    http://youtu.be/DlDxgo-L7DM

Going into ice caves during a heat wave where people have died in the past.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/D...=y&clmob=y&c=n

How much you wanna bet some are going to spin that as global warming. Watch the knees jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    How much you wanna bet some are going to spin that as global warming. Watch the knees jerk.
    Or blame the Nino and the blob of warm water off the coast.

Although the thing collapses all the time. It's a low elevation ice cave.

Just have to point out that the video is from a collapse on Sunday the 5th, and a mere day later on Monday the 6th more came down and killed a woman. At least the third time in the last 20yrs that a death has occurred in those ice caves.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I know it's freedom infringement but they really need a fence or something, a warning sign doesn't keep people out. When that 11 yr old girl was killed in 2011 that was terrible. Like mofro said that video was shot the day BEFORE someone was killed and others seriously injured.

Plus going in to get the bodies is risky as hell for the recovery team.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post

stricter laws mang. This poor bastard never knew lighting an explosive on his head could kill him.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medi...Gx67?ocid=iehp

Devon Staples, 22, was killed instantly this past 4th of July weekend after he attempted to light a firework off the top of his head. Staples became the first firework-related fatality in Maine since the state first legalized fireworks back in 2012. While some may see Staples’ unfortunate accident as a nominee for the Darwin Awards, his mother, Kathleen Staples, sees it as a call for stricter laws regarding who can and cannot handle explosives.

"At least it'd be a little bit more than, 'Here you go,'" the grieving mother told the Associated Press. "That's an explosive. They didn't just hand me a license and put me in the car."

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Just have to point out that the video is from a collapse on Sunday the 5th, and a mere day later on Monday the 6th more came down and killed a woman. At least the third time in the last 20yrs that a death has occurred in those ice caves.
    3 deaths in 20 years? The horror.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Or blame the Nino and the blob of warm water off the coast.

Although the thing collapses all the time. It's a low elevation ice cave.
    Thanks, Obama.

Today's award goes to this stupid human.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/flor...-fcking-drunk/

Quote Originally Posted by splitinbend View Post
    Today's award goes to this stupid human.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/flor...-fcking-drunk/
    Thanks for the amusing link, but please, darwin awards are reserved for those that off themselves by doing something really dumb. This woman survived. She can't even be considered for the award much less win it.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Thanks for the amusing link, but please, darwin awards are reserved for those that off themselves by doing something really dumb. This woman survived. She can't even be considered for the award much less win it.
    on that note I have thought several times that we should have a stupid criminals thread- I see so many funny things I often want to share with you guys here but don't get around to it
    I'll search around and see if there's one to resurrect or we should start one to parallel this thread

This one is my favorite Darwin award this yr bc it's also reminiscent of one of my favorite ski movies, Better off dead

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-flames.html
    Man dies after accidentally drinking gasoline, lighting a cigarette and going up in flames

A 43-year-old man burned to death after accidentally drinking from a jar containing gasoline and then smoking a cigarette.
    Gary Allen Banning burst into flames after the cigarette ignited some of the liquid he had spilled on his clothes.
    Police said Mr Banning was at a friend's apartment in Havelock, North Carolina, when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a drink.
    Realising his mistake he immediately spit out the gas, but some of it spilled onto his clothes.
    Sometime later, he went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flames.
    'It was just a freak incident,' said WK Preslar, investigator with the Havelock Police Department.
    Preslar said Mr Banning was visiting his friend, a mechanic who had used the gasoline to help clean the grease from his hands.

Ricky - I'm sorry your mom blew up.
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...