Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    I got no dog in this fight its just some beta I found ... rant amongst yourselves
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Looks like full moron to me. What about everyone who has been running 26x2.5" for the last 15 years?
    Everyone been running it on 45-50mm rims?

Reserving judgement until actually trying something... what an amazing concept.

Anyhoo, I won't even consider one of these + sizes for a couple of years at least. They're going to need refinement before they're truly versatile IMO - the same way it took a few years for them to dial in the details for 29ers and 27.5 / 650B. Those low PSI figures (12-18) also are a bit of a red flag to me - no shit they have traction setup like that, but getting flats consistently really sucks and you're not going to set them up that way if you're constantly having to stop during your rides for a fix. I also call BS on his 2-3 year assessment - maybe 4-5 years, though.

I'd also like to hear more about how they handle a real climb of some distance, not an uphill shot in the middle of a downhill after riding a lift.

Something I still haven't seen in all this back and forth about tire pressures is the fact that a larger volume tire is just as stiff at lower pressures, as a smaller tire that needs higher ones. I've run 18 psi in 2.8 tires before and they were plenty firm. 4psi doesn't scare me, as long as the tire is big enough.

The crappy part about this + stuff is that they're big tires that don't weigh any more than current 2.3-ish ones. A friend of mine asked me if I wanted to ride one her 27.5+ bikes a few weeks ago at a race. I asked her if she had been tearing holes in tires and they answer was yes. She's like a buck 30 at most. Former downhiller but still. I asked her what she thought I'd do to her tires and she said "yeah, maybe not".
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'd also like to hear more about how they handle a real climb of some distance, not an uphill shot in the middle of a downhill after riding a lift.
    I think a 27.5+ FS would be a nice opposite to my 29" SS belt-drive hard tail, (w/ Stan's Crows). But it would still be huge overkill for the smooth, up and down, no-lifts, trails I ride.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Something I still haven't seen in all this back and forth about tire pressures is the fact that a larger volume tire is just as stiff at lower pressures, as a smaller tire that needs higher ones. I've run 18 psi in 2.8 tires before and they were plenty firm. 4psi doesn't scare me, as long as the tire is big enough.

The crappy part about this + stuff is that they're big tires that don't weigh any more than current 2.3-ish ones. A friend of mine asked me if I wanted to ride one her 27.5+ bikes a few weeks ago at a race. I asked her if she had been tearing holes in tires and they answer was yes. She's like a buck 30 at most. Former downhiller but still. I asked her what she thought I'd do to her tires and she said "yeah, maybe not".
    This. I have a problem running 900 gram 2.3 tires on my "enduro" bike. 850 gram 3.0s? Yeah...

Reserving judgement until actually trying something... what an amazing concept.
    That's the confirmation bias BS they spew over at MTBR. I bet there's hundereds of non-bike related things that you've never tried that people pass judgement on all the time. Go play in traffic on the highway - try it, it's fun.

And I'll tell you right now, they are impractical for lots of climbing or even rolling terrain. Every review of 27.5+ is on lift served or shuttleing.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 07-30-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Everyone been running it on 45-50mm rims?
    I have 2.5's on 35mm external rims that are very pinch flat resistant in normal riding. Would not want any wider.

I have been on a 650+ setup for around 9 months now. Mainly I have run the WTB 45mm wide Scraper rim and Trailblazer combo on a front suspended Ti 29er hardtail that I had built with the plus option in mind. It is super fun but really so is riding a bike. Single speed the setup was great, now that I have it setup 1x10 I am longing for a more substantial tire. I feel as the tires need to be 1000-1100 grams to really shred on the terrain opened up by additional gears for me; northern New Mexico riding. I want to run less pressure and not have rim strikes or feel the sidewall is not supported in turns, to me access to aggressive tires like the new WTB Bridger and Maxxis Chronicle will be the turning point in these bikes and their everyday rideability. Bikes are fun, ride what you want.

I have 2.5's on 35mm external rims that are very pinch flat resistant in normal riding. Would not want any wider.
    Which is not really the spec of the + thingy. It's like saying I ski 105 underfoot, it roolz and I don't want any fatter.

I'm not an advocate for 27+ but am curious, my fat bike tells me to be so I am. It's smarter than me

Those low PSI figures (12-18) also are a bit of a red flag to me - no shit they have traction setup like that, but getting flats consistently really sucks and you're not going to set them up that way if you're constantly having to stop during your rides for a fix. I also call BS on his 2-3 year assessment - maybe 4-5 years, though.
    They claim just 1% increase in rolling resistance? With just 12-18 psi and supposed massive increase in traction I don't see how there isn't a massive increase in rolling resistance.

And yeah, the only way to get tires that wide down to the 800-900g range is thin sidewalls. Not really what I want.

Dunno.... 26" has always worked well for me. And for riding other than DH and freeride 2.35-2.4" seems to be a perfect sweet spot for climbing and descending capability.

Pass on + size for me, until the industry eliminates all the other options of course...

27.5+.....has the industry gone full moron?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    This. I have a problem running 900 gram 2.3 tires on my "enduro" bike. 850 gram 3.0s? Yeah...
    Yeah, most people that ride hard and race enduro use some sort of dual ply. I'm not opposed to dealing with a tear now and then, but I don't race, so no big deal when it happens. I run exos and have never retired one due to tread life. Bad tears always get me in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    They claim just 1% increase in rolling resistance? With just 12-18 psi and supposed massive increase in traction I don't see how there isn't a massive increase in rolling resistance.

And yeah, the only way to get tires that wide down to the 800-900g range is thin sidewalls. Not really what I want.

Dunno.... 26" has always worked well for me. And for riding other than DH and freeride 2.35-2.4" seems to be a perfect sweet spot for climbing and descending capability.

Pass on + size for me, until the industry eliminates all the other options of course...
    the interesting thing about contact patch and tire pressure is that wider tires tend to have a shorter contact patch overall making them less deflection happy which in turn helps them roll faster. If the weights of the larger tires could stay the same 3.0 tire would for sure faster on most trails. The issue is as the weights get higher they get harder to pedal.

Recent review of schwalbe's.....yes, they still make disposable tires:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/schwalb...view-2015.html

My god. Now tires are wearing out?

What has this world come to!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    My god. Now tires are wearing out?

What has this world come to!
    Eh, my maxxis wear like iron, but they are like ice in wet rocks.

So 27.5+ is selling so well that the wankers over on MTBR have to post up ridiculous articles trying to justify their existence.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/so-you-think...-for-beginners

Seriously, nobody cares about your stupid bikes.

almost afraid to post this but ...

I spent two weeks on a Trek Stache 29+ demo bike. I realize it won't appeal to everyone, but it'll be what I replace my Superfly 29'er with.

FWIW I ran the tires tubeless at around 11 psi. It's unbelievably 'whippy' with it's short wheelbase, corners unbelievably well, descends like a demon, and smooths the rough stuff out to the point where there's no need to pick a line. It's a hoot and a half of a bike to ride. Yes, there's an obvious penalty for the added rotational mass, but for me the plusses outweigh the minuses, and strangely I was faster on established lap times of a rocky/rooty densely wooded, hilly but not mountainous singletrack (guessing that I somehow managed to pedal harder than I would on my bike in the 'hard' sections while thinking I was going to be slower). So the only negative is the increased rotational mass that didn't seem to slow me down, but maybe I get a better workout ...

Full fat bikes do nothing for me - no desire to ride one. I was skeptical until I rode a plus bike and now it'll be my next bike. I'm not sure I would make the jump if I were actively racing XC, but I don't seem to do that anymore, and did I mention I was faster on it than my standard 29'er?

Anyway, like I said I realize they won't appeal to everyone, and probably not smaller riders, but I'm 6'2" and I like the way the bigger tires make my ass look small

I haven't ridden a 27.5+, yet, but it'll be interesting to see where the break point of benefits/negatives play out between it and a 29+. I have to think that there will be similar plusses for those currently riding normal 27.5's as well. Another thing to note - Trek put a dropper on the Stache for a reason!
    Last edited by YoEddy; 05-02-2016 at 04:05 PM.
    Who cares how the crow flies

I haven't ridden one, but those tires seem like a great idea for a timid beginner on tech trails. Probably could beat self-proclaimed "king of tech", damian, on one of those....

I bought a giant trance x 26" with all the components upgraded for under $1,000 last year. If people wanna go on a massive selling spree I won't complain scoring a great deal

So 27.5+ is selling so well that the wankers over on MTBR have to post up ridiculous articles trying to justify their existence.

Here's the same guy on a bike with normal ties:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/364780/

Hummm.

Here's the same guy on a bike with normal ties:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/364780/

Hummm.
    I think I am more pissed they tried to make me watch a 2.11 minute gatorade commercial than the retard industry babble.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

This thread is the top google search result for "27.5 sucks". This pleases me greatly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=27.5+sucks

Congratulations, you must be a proud mother.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I guess a plus tire would be good on a hardtail or fully rigid. Dont really see the point of all that rolling resistance on a full suspension.
    Still enjoying my heavy steel hardtail 2x10 with qr axles...
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.