Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24

6fittyBob be a good name for a kid

Now that I've had the 2.8's for a couple weeks I can make an honest ass-essment.

The terrain we primarily ride is relatively slow techy stuff. Punchy ups and downs on granite boulders with a combo of roots that are often soggy. The 2.8's are exactly what I expected them to be for that terrain. They made it easier to stall or make it up stuff if you were going too slow or in the wrong gear, which is nice. Junky sections of loose rocks they roll over with ease as well. Although, I did notice rolling resistance over the course of a longer ride, so that benefit is a better workout?

The one local spot that is relatively fast without any techy terrain is SHP. For that area these tires do nothing for me. They are actually much worse imo. I mentioned previously that it gave me the '73 monte carlo sway effect even with more air. Speaking of air, I've settled to 17-18lbs. If it is really wet I might even drop a lb or two.

Overall I'm glad I have both sets of wheelsets for my HT. It's super quick to change up the wheelsets and run either depending on the day. It will be interesting to try the 2.8's when we get a little snow also. I think they'll be pretty good in < 2" dustings.

In the end I think this category is a very niche market. Maybe for several EC places and I don't know about western states as I've only ridden a couple spots recently and neither one of those places would this be any good imo. I suppose it's a great wheel for beginners as well...although heavier.

I'm happy with my purchase and it was part of the plan when I bought the HT anyway.

I'm a bit disappointed maxxis came out with a 26x2.8" DHF/DHR2, when a 26x2.6 or modern casing sizing 26x2.5 would be plenty big. I've got a 26x2.5 shorty that is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed maxxis came out with a 26x2.8" DHF/DHR2, when a 26x2.6 or modern casing sizing 26x2.5 would be plenty big. I've got a 26x2.5 shorty that is huge.
    Good thing you have at least one thing that is huge. Interesting that it is "really" a shorty.