Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 141 142 143 144 145 146
Results 3,626 to 3,644 of 3644
    ^^^ I read that data as the ocean is currently at about it’s warmest point since 1980, has been very warm this spring and is trending higher day to day.

Without explanation that graph kinda sucks. So, here goes...
    tl,dr - the ocean is way hotter than statistics suggest it should be, based on historical data. And this is true of each of the prior ten years. Statistically, one year this warm merits a raised eyebrow as outside normal variability. Ten in a row is basically impossible. The ocean has changed*.

Found that website and graph. First - the dotted line down the middle is the 30-year average 1982-2011. The two dashed lines are two standard deviations above and two below the average. For normal variability, we'd expect 95% of future results to fall within the lower and upper bound. 2.5% above, 2.5% below.

So if you go to the page, You can mouseover each year to highlight is in the graph. Here comes the scary part - Each of the prior 10 years is more than two standard deviations above the average. We have to go back to 2014 to find a year that hugs upper bound, above it, and 2013 hugs the upper bound, below it.

Statistically speaking, a year or two outside the upper (or lower) bound is interesting but not too far outside expected variation (2.5% chance upper or lower happens sometimes). Ten years in a row above the upper bound says something has definitely changed. That's basically impossible if the data used to create the bounds represents the natural variability. The last decade of measured ocean surface temperature exceeds natural variability.

The ocean is definitely warmer than expected.
    https://www.climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

I completed a stats class in high school, and successfully challenged my required college stats course. I'm not an expert, but this analysis is within my coursework.

* One should also check how the data is collected. E.g. perhaps Alice retired, and Bob reads the thermometer differently. This dataset has too many eyes on it to suggest there's a undetected problem with the data. The ocean is warmer.

Ban peeing in the ocean!

The weather today is not the same as yesterday?

Everyone do the panic dance!
    watch out for snakes

^^^The US has already broken the record for annual tornado deaths and it's still April.. Ya totally the same as yesterday..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I was listening to npr a couple months ago and there was a study about deep ocean water having unprecedented high temperature episodes. One of the more disturbing global warming studies I had heard

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Ban peeing in the ocean!

The weather today is not the same as yesterday?

Everyone do the panic dance!
    The ocean is a carbon sink you dolt.
    But don't let pesky facts and sciencey stuff clutter your brainwashed closed mind

It's all good. The senator from Wisconsin knows what's up.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1651253584153935874

Senator RJ and our local clowns are pretty good at vile signaling
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Ya but the bottom side of our flat earth is equally cooler amirite??
    There is no bottom. I know that's hard too grasp--the physics is very complicated but it's all explained by General Relativity and quantum theory.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    It's been nice and cold in NorCal too. Gives me hope for future winters around Tahoe. That said, I also saw a world map showing temp deviation from normal in March, and ours was one of two small regions worldwide colder than average. 95% of the globe is warmer than average. So while I hope we have many similar cold winters to come, it doesn't seem reasonable to expect to be in the 5% anomaly every year. The trend is badly against us.
    20F above normal this coming weekend around Tahoe. (And then snow down t 7K next week.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    20F above normal this coming weekend around Tahoe. (And then snow down t 7K next week.)
    All that wonderful surplus snowpack needed to relieve the drought problems is suddenly like it never happened if it melts too fast to be helpful mid summer. The lakes will hold some of it but a lot of it will run back in to the ocean..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    The speculation/extrapolation reported in that piece is next fucking level. Holy hell.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    The ocean is a carbon sink you dolt.
    But don't let pesky facts and sciencey stuff clutter your brainwashed closed mind
    Dolt? I’ll have you know his CG education comes from impeccably qualified leaders like this one: https://www.tiktok.com/@stephanieres...56716194843947

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Dolt? I’ll have you know his CG education comes from impeccably qualified leaders like this one: https://www.tiktok.com/@stephanieres...56716194843947
    She sounds really SMRT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5111.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	457863
    watch out for snakes

Heat index of 152° recorded in Iran.

coldest summer of the rest of our lives
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Ok, this global warming shit is getting out of hand...

This climate scientist has balanced approach to the climate terror narrative.

https://youtu.be/i4YUnZIKneY?si=6bQEXcPD3GZwdXv9