Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vacations around & beyond Austria's borders (Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, etc)

I've been a difficult year to post anything (here, elsewhere or on my blog, but the most important is that I'm still skiing, skiing a lot and the ski streak is still alive (that's been a question some people have asked me offline).

Returning to visit in my in-laws in France in August. As in 2011, I'm planning to take advantage on the location and get my August and September in the Alps.
    https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013...unning-europe/

So the vacation will be two 3-weeks segments. Part 1 with the whole family (wife and two daughters). Landing in Paris, going to Britany (which I’ve never been on my previous 7 trips (i.e.. 7 months in France)). I can't complain, the family is near Lyon on the side of the Alps. We might return to see one aunt that has retired in Nice.

Wife and 12yr old are flying back to Canada from Lyon towards the end of the month. I'm staying with my oldest (17 - some of you might recall her skiing with me at Mammoth back in July 2010 https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2010...o-july-5-2010/) for an extra 3 weeks. I've slowly started reading on potential destination. I’ve extended my stay to be able to get my “yearly” September turns as it wouldn’t make much sense to travel after I comeback to Canada.

In 2011, I skied 6 of the 7 summer Alps areas still open in last Summer. I was only missing Mölltaler Gletscher which was further East of Hintertux. This time, I’ll skip the skiing in France (Tignes, 2 Alpes), Italy (Passeo del Stelvio) and probably Switzerland too (Zermatt, Saas Fee). Switzerland was so expensive, especially the skiing in Zermatt. Although the snow conditions were superior, open terrain for the public was pretty limited.

The 2015 ski plan is skiing a maximum of 5-days. Mölltaler (1-2 days), Hintertux (2 days) and maybe one day at Saas Fee (so beautiful). We could pass by Zermatt (if the weather is clear to see the Matterhorn), but not ski. That would leave me 2 weeks to work from starting from the Austria Tyrol.

Trying to figure out how much travel, what to see on limited time and budget.

Here are some the ideas (not all, but simple ideas):

Austria:
    Salzburg would be a must. Vienna is also good, but it’s further.

Italy:
    Dolomites and Venice is so close to Austria. Not sure if I want to go further South in the Summer time. I would love to see Rome, but not necessarily in peak summer season. If my passed experience into travelling in the South of France with the heat and the people. The rest would be a stretch, the Italian side of the Riviera? Trieste? Florence?

Other options or possibilities: Slovenia, Croatia

Travel would be via train? Not sure if I want to get a Eurorail pass or not. I guess it will be determined where and what I want to see? Not sure how accessible are the Slovenia and Croatia sites via the train?

I’ve seen Munich and passed though Garmish in 2011. Then there is Slovenia and Croatia. Caves in Slovenia, but I haven't looked at the possible sites yet. For Croatia, I have places like Split, Rovinj, Pula. Plitvice lakes? Zagreb?

Korcula and Dubrovnik are probably too far south depending on what we choose to see? And how much we can do in 2 weeks with a couple of ski days in Austria the middle of it. I would think of skiing Hintertux in early September then slowly head towards Paris. Last time I skied Hintertux on Sept 1 then slept in Innsbruck. Next day train to Munich (2 nights) and finally train to Paris wit flight home the next day.

I know my daughter would like to see as many places as possible. It’s also possible keep city hoping around with an unlimited rail pass. Berlin? Amsterdam? Warsaw? Prague? Tatras mountain in Slovakia? Budapest? I know that Eastern Europe would be cheaper and less touristy.

Thoughts, opinions? Thanks in advance,

MadPat
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Split, Kook.

Venice is well worth some time. I have never been to Croatia, but my Austrian exchange daughter and her family love it, and go there often. Only spent a day in Salsburg, but it is a neat city. No time for Vienna, we just flew in and out of it and saw nothing but the airport and freeway. Graz is a cool old city and we're we spent some time because that is where out exchange daughter lives. Lots of good summer hikes in the Austrian alps if you have the time. Roads are pretty good and driving is easy if you decide to rent a car.

Hope all well, Cheers

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

All I have to say is I am sick of always having to watch my shit from getting stolen in some of those (unnamed guilty) countries, cars, hotels rooms, bars, restaurants, all public transit.....if you look out like a tourist you are on alert, and it gets tiring rather than relaxing.

Id always prefer to go to south france, northern Italy or Barcelona or San Sebastian....

If Turkey was not not so sketch for other reasons, I would suggest going there too.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I'm in Siena right now. Here for a few weeks. Day tripping regionally before heading to Rome for a few days. This is my second time here. We have a lot of connection to the city.

If you can get here for the August 2nd Palio, it is worth a visit. It is also wort attending Mass in the Duomo the Sunday prior for the blessing of the Contrada jockeys. It is also good to be here for the four days prior to enjoy all the festivities.

Even if you can't attend the Palio, Siena and the surrounding country side, especially to the south in the Val d'orcia, the land is stunning. Siena is a wonderful preserved medieval city. The Palazzo Pubblico contains some wonderful pieces of art form the 12th through 14th century. The Duomo is also worth a visit.

Montelcino, nearby, has excellent wine and the prices are right, and dates back to the 12th century. Florence has the Uffizi and Academe, both wonderful museums. And the food around the region is excellent.

And as per Das Blunts comment about safety and theft, Siena has a fairly low crime rate and is quite friendly to tourist. I have not had extensive travel around Europe, but as compared to Rome, I don't worry much about my stuff being taken. I also felt pretty safe in Istanbul (which, by the way, is awesome), but that was over twenty years ago.

Dolomites?

Stay and eat here:

Rifugio Fuciade

Stay and drink beer at sunset here:

Rifugio Lagazoi

Eat here:

Gostner Schwaige

These places aren't close to each other. It doesn't matter. Each is unforgettable. Make it happen.

I've spent a decent bit of time in that part of Italy. It's one of my favorite places. The Alto Adige is beautiful. Lake Garda is actually pretty nice for being a tourist destination, and the mountain towns surrounding it are great. I'd be happy just choosing one, staying there, and exploring.

I second Venice being worth seeing. I was ready to be underwhelmed given its reputation for being really touristy. And it is. But I still thought it was a really cool place. I stopped in Trieste once, but so briefly that I didn't get to see too much. It looked interesting enough.

I did really like Slovenia. I was coming by train from Italy, so I stayed in Llubljana and didn't get out into its supposedly very pretty country-side/mountains. It had a different feel from northern Italy, and it was definitely worth the trip. That was 10 years ago now, though, so I'm not sure how much it's changed.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Split, Kook.
    I can't believe I didn't get any love for this. You people suck.

edit: Dubrovnik then?
    Last edited by iceman; 06-30-2015 at 09:15 AM.

I lived in then Yugoslavia for a year and saw a lot of the country highly recommend going there. The Adriactic coast alone is worth it pretty good skiing in the mountains too, wine, beer, great food reasonable prices
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    All I have to say is I am sick of always having to watch my shit from getting stolen in some of those (unnamed guilty) countries, cars, hotels rooms, bars, restaurants, all public transit.....

Dont know how DasBlunt does it... Sleeping on the park benches passed out?

Knock wood though. Being a euro, have been actively traveling the last 20 years, 1-6 months a year, depending. Only one even remote close
    call in barcelona when some kids tried to nick some stuff from my friend, close to Ramblas. Seen couple of dodgy geezers trying to make a move but thats about it.
    Big cities obviously have issues, but you can steer away from dodgy situations with good planning. Hell, who would go to Atlanta to get hammered and decide to walk back to the hotel on the other side of the city? Dress smart, walk with a purpose and change the side of the street if you see something brewing up/down the alley. Or walk into a shop. Just basic common sense.

The eastern europe is a bit different. Things usually get sorted but the biggest problem is the language barrier. You dont have to travel further
    than Czech and suddenly english is basically of no use. You can get along with german but.. So it is there where you might get swindled.
    You go to a hotel/restaurant and suddenly the prices are different. Not much, but still. One might consider that price difference as a tip.
    Poland/Czech/Slovakia has usually been quite ok. Bulgaria/Hungary start to be in the balalaika country. You never know what you get...
    Mafioso might take you to their daughters wedding or somewhere else.

Writing this from Htux, things are still ok here, at least for few days. A big heat wave hitting this part now so 27c expected at 1500m (today 10c at 3200m) so things will go south quickly. Was in Htux few years ago with a shit snow year ( 2009?) and at the same time things were utter shit.
    Basically glacier ice tracked by the ski teams. And gravel.

Was the winter before in mölltaler but I can not imagine how that place would fare any better if the heatwave continues for 2-3 weeks.
    Saas fee has the possibility to fare better due to its altitude but the actual skiable domain (as you know) is much smaller, especially if the lower T-Bars are closed.
    So check the weather reports and if this nuking continues, hatch a plan B.

I am self heading from austria to slovenia in two days, to Triglav area. Never been there before but rented a hut for 2-3 weeks so interested to see what things are around there. No skiing, obviously, but never been in slovenia myself. Looks nice though. And if necessary, one can drive to adriatic in about 2hrs. Hopefully the heatwave would subside quickly..interesting to spend time hiking/running in the mountains when it is 29c..

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

id just like to go on the record to state that a few years ago i read one of madpatskis posts. he/she was going on about some options pertaining to a government pension or some such. i was struck by how utterly devoid of common sense the post was, so full of dickwagging and smugness it was unbelievable. it was almost as if someone had set up an account with the sole purpose of trying to make government employees look bad. unfortunately it seems madpatski is for real... and it recently occurred to me that if it werent for the swiss passing on code tech, canada would be far behind most latin american countries on the modelling front.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I can't believe I didn't get any love for this. You people suck.

edit: Dubrovnik then?
    Timing is everything. <<love>>
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

First off, HA !!!

Quote Originally Posted by theshredder View Post
    id just like to go on the record to state that a few years ago i read one of madpatskis posts. he/she was going on about some options pertaining to a government pension or some such. i was struck by how utterly devoid of common sense the post was, so full of dickwagging and smugness it was unbelievable. it was almost as if someone had set up an account with the sole purpose of trying to make government employees look bad. unfortunately it seems madpatski is for real...
    The subject was "Should I stay (and try to remain in the public sector) or should I go (and take the package) in my late 40s". What would seem like a no-brainer for some, either option had their own pros and cons.

POSITION CUT...NEW CAREER??? NEW LIFE??? OR SIMPLY NEW POSITION? http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-new-position?

That discussion isn't that much different with the "What's the number?" thread, except it wasn't theoretical. And the numbers involved wasn't even remotely close to numbers discussed in that thread.

Not here to judge, to each his own real reality. Some people here make in the 6-digits and might have a shitjob away from their love/passion while others bust tables in a ski-town and love it. Life isn't black or white and my situation was in the middle. Not close to 6-digits, but pension at 60 based on years of service. Job wasn't shit, but atmosphere was...plus I didn't get enough of what I loved.

/END RANT

High on the list :

Venice and Northern Italy
    Salzburg and Vienna
    Slovenia (mountains and caves) and Croatia (Coast. Dubrovnik is probably a bit further - might go to Split instead).

DasBlunt
    All I have to say is I am sick of always having to watch my shit from getting stolen in some of those (unnamed guilty) countries, cars, hotels rooms, bars, restaurants, all public transit.....if you look out like a tourist you are on alert, and it gets tiring rather than relaxing.

Id always prefer to go to south france, northern Italy or Barcelona or San Sebastian.....
    There is a thread somewhere on TGR about all my luggage and ski gear being stolen by a cab driver in Buenos Aires on my third trip to South America a few years back. I've returned twice since then.

I've seen South France numerous times (help having my wife's family and friends there). Northern Italy between the Tirol and Adriactic including Venice is high on the list, plus daughter would love it. The heat that Europe is having right now is somewhat confirming that I don't want to head towards Rome in full tourist and heat season. I remember France in Summer 98 when it was 39c in Annecy and Albertville...44c in Lyon. Not easy when you visiting with a baby as AC was extremely rare. Let's just say we stay closer to my wife's family home.

Meathelmet
    Htux ...Was in Htux few years ago with a shit snow year ( 2009?) and at the same time things were utter shit.
    Basically glacier ice tracked by the ski teams.
    Never been to Mölltaler, so I'm just curious as it might be the only ski "outdoor" area other then Norway still open at that time of the year where I didn't ski the last trip back in 2011. In 2011, it was 36c at the base of Les Deux Alpes (can't remember the altitude off-hand). See link in my 1st post above to get to my summer ski area tour in the Alps. Your description of Htux is pretty much the conditions I had on September 1...we skied on fresh snow on August 29.

If I can one day at Saas Fee it will be also for the scenery and for a day non-skiing visit in Zermatt. Zermatt definitely had the best conditions, but the price was steep with limited space. But as started the 3-weeks with my daughter are more a travelling vacation with a bit of skiing involved.

MarcusBrody & ISBD : Thanks for the advice and links. It would seen that you're confirming my impression of some of my preferred options.

Ottime
    If you can get here for the August 2nd
    We're landing in Paris a few days before, so we'll probably be in Brittany and heading towards my in-laws near Lyon at that time. I won't cross the border until my wife and youngest leave Lyon for Canada near mid-August. Not sure if we'll pass towards Florence or Milan. It will depend on the train ride from Lyon. We might go Lyon-Zermatt-Saas Fee on the first day. Ski the second day in SF then on-towards Austria and beyond. Skiing Htux in Sept then off to Paris via the train then fly back home.

Thanks Hutash. I didn't mention Graz, thanks for the reminder. I would have love to return to California (or go to Beartooth Basin) to celebrate the milestone birthday like in 2005, but 2015 wasn't as good has 10 years ago...or 9 or 5. Have a great summer, hope to get to see you guys again.

Follow up question :

Eurorail Pass : I've started reading a bit about it. I need to go the math; the only thing that I'm not certain is how well serviced are Slovenia and Croatia from the sights I want to go to? I know a car is better, but cost and hassle in the cities would be a pain in the ass.

Leaving ski gear in storage : I know there are great ski lockers in Innsbruck. I don't want to howl my ski gear for 3-weeks between Venice, Vienna and Croatia. I need to figure that also.
    Ski Mad World

^confirmed douche bag. lol

this thread isnt really about seeking advice - its about telling everyone how awesome your jetsetting lifestyle is and how much money you have to throw away. but at least youre honest... so theres that.

Ljubiana and Zagreb are both accessible by train, but bus/rent-a-car is a better option if you want to go exploring: istria is s great option for mixing the beach with foodie stuff inland and Rovinj is beautiful and accessible via ferry from Venice. Pula and Kamenjak are also worth visits--- you can stay cheaply in people's houses - room for rent signs abound, I'd prefer that to most of the hotels if you are on a budget and spend the savings on a car for exploring Istria's interior. PM me for more info.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

this thread isnt really about seeking advice - its about telling everyone how awesome your jetsetting lifestyle is and how much money you have to throw away. but at least youre honest... so theres that.
    You are an idiot. I don't know what bug you got up your ass about MadPat, but he is a good mag who likes to ski and does it on a very modest income in true maggot style.

Pat don't worry about the haters, idiots abound in the world. Hopefully it will snow once again in California, we always have a couch, and with the kids now gone even a room if you make it back out our way.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

its about telling everyone how awesome your jetsetting lifestyle is.
    Bwwwaaaaahahaha. Hey MadPat, can I borrow your yacht next time I spend the season in Monaco?

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    You are an idiot. I don't know what bug you got up your ass about MadPat, but he is a good mag who likes to ski and does it on a very modest income in true maggot style.

Pat don't worry about the haters, idiots abound in the world. Hopefully it will snow once again in California, we always have a couch, and with the kids now gone even a room if you make it back out our way.
    ya? well, you're old.
    Last edited by theshredder; 07-04-2015 at 12:45 PM.

ya? well, you're old.
    ...and you're an ass, what's your point?

iscariot

My date was wrong. Not that I think you plan to get this far south. Feels well over 100f today.

I meant to toe August 12. Palio is on the 15th or 16th. My families Contrada suffered a horrible loss, coming in second (which is about te worst result possible or this race) and behind their only enemy. Still such an awesome thing to see and experience. If you do end up showing, PM me and I'll get you set up as possible for this thing. It is good to have at least some insider info.

Seems like I only show up in Italy during heat waves. Last time I was here was in '03 or '04 which was the hottest summer in since the midst of the French Revolution.

Thanks for the info robgoose. I just need to figure out how many days I want to spend where in the last 3 weeks of our time in Europe. At least one week in Austria with some skiing to bag August/Sept turns. Hoping it's not a super hot summer like during our 1998' summer. My mother-in-law mentioned that it was 40c last week in Lyon.

Don't worry Hutash, shredder is in a bad mood, because still pissing in his Fruits Loops. I don't know how he can continue to eat that stuff?

I've seen black diamonds!
    its about telling everyone how awesome your jetsetting lifestyle is.
    Bwwwaaaaahahaha. Hey MadPat, can I borrow your yacht next time I spend the season in Monaco?.
    Which one? The one that was anchored in Monaco just left to Greek islands with a friend who's looking for cheap deals after the referendum. But you're welcome to borrow the one stationed in the Bahamas. Anything for a fellow Mag....unless he's a douche. Thinking of using it to ski along the coast of Iceland again next Spring.

My jetsetting lifestyle is soooo awesome!!!
    Ski Mad World

I'm confused. Didn't you just stick up for him and then he insults you? Judging by your response sarcasm was not used here.

Interesting summer read.
    I still call it The Jake.

ya? well, you're old.
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I'm confused. Didn't you just stick up for him and then he insults you? Judging by your response sarcasm was not used here.
    Now I am the one confused???

iscariot

Hey MadPat...when are you going to upgrade to the yacht with the helipad, that is going to be tits.

iscariot

Nope, my bad. When I see it laid out like that I thought theshredder was madpat.
    I still call it The Jake.