Send rear shock to Fox/Push or use LBS?

It is time for my rear shock to get some love. Fox will do it for 145 my LBS for 70. The main difference is Fox will blow in nitrogen and my LBS will use just a shock pump. Clearly, 50% off and getting my bike back quickly during riding season is a benefit. But, am I being penny wise and pound foolish? Discuss.

I've done both with my front shocks and I've only used the LBS when I knew the guy and I knew he knows what he's doing.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Or do it yourself in 20 minutes for 75% off.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I've done both with my front shocks and I've only used the LBS when I knew the guy and I knew he knows what he's doing.
    I only use the LBS to handle my suspension when I trust the dude doing it. I've developed a great rapport with the local tech and he treats me well. I'd rather see him get some love, get my ride back In a decent time, and not risk dorking it up myself.

I would say it kinda depends on what is going with your shock. The Service that your LBS does is very different than a full rebuild that fox does.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

nitro is not something that most LBS can do. The air is in the main chamber, the nitro is much deeper in the can (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    nitro is not something that most LBS can do. The air is in the main chamber, the nitro is much deeper in the can (I think)
    Anyone with a high-pressure pump and a moto-sport suspension needle can service the internal chamber too. Purchasing the internal seals is a bit more of a challenge, but on the Fox shocks, there is a ton of info on the net with the correct specs so you can order the corect seals.

I really dont understand why so many people are scared to service there own suspension. As long as you have the proper tools, take your time and make sure you adequatly clean and lubricate everything, it really isnt that complicated.

Unless the shox has truly been abused, all they ever need is a good cleaning, lube and replacing the seals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    It is time for my rear shock to get some love. Fox will do it for 145 my LBS for 70. The main difference is Fox will blow in nitrogen and my LBS will use just a shock pump. Clearly, 50% off and getting my bike back quickly during riding season is a benefit. But, am I being penny wise and pound foolish? Discuss.
    What kind of shock? Is it the same service? $70 seems very cheap for a full rebuild, but kinda expensive for just doing the air can.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Side note: my fork needs a rebuild as well. Would rather just pay for the new FIT4 damper for my Fox 34 than $175 for the rebuild. But don't see it listed as an upgrade on Fox's site or find any links to buy anywhere. Something that can be taken care of through LBS?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

@Chatton, it's a Float R. 30 bucks for the seals and 45 for shop labor.
    And, overall it sounds like nobody really cares that much about the Nitro.

Is the rebound damping adjustment working properly? Does it make sloshy, squishy cavitation noises?

If the rebound damping is working and its not making terrible noises, then the regular shop air can service is fine, although that pricing is on the high side.

If it is making cavitation noises, performing inconsistently, topping out or leaking a good amount of oil - then it needs to go to PUSH or Fox.

Send it to Anthony Diaz in Durango. Fast Service (if he's in town) and cheaper than Push. He can do whatever you want to it in terms of tuning. Give him a buzz.

Diaz Suspension Design
    seven 1 three eight 0 six four 2 seven 8

edit: Just saw you're north of the border so shipping it could be a hassle and the shock might not be worth a full tune. Still, if you're interested, give Diaz a call.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

oooh, I like that idea! ^^^^

@Flowtron. It sounds like a small barking dog chasing me down the trails. It "woofs" over each bump. I think just bad seals and could use some new oil. Bummer that is a bit high for shop costs. What's reasonable?

my lbs will only work on lowers for fox, they claim that the fox stuff really should be done by fox authorized, (interestingly they do rears for rockshox) but anyway, if you go through them its about 140 for full service on rear fox through dirt labs in boulder (very similar to push and fox HQ) but in any event, i do my rear once a year and it's awesome after it comes back from dirt labs!
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

If the rebound damping feels ok and it doesn't make sloshy noises when you just push down on the seat in your driveway, yep, you can probably get away with the air can svc at the shop. (Also something you can tackle yourself if you have a vice, dental pick, valve core remover, shock pump and watch a few videos online.).
    Seal kits are usually $15-20 usd and shops around here charge $25-30 labor I think. It's really quick once you've done a few.

If it's been a couple years since its been serviced it probably needs a nitrogen charge also, different chamber than the air chamber. Just replacing the seals and oil are super easy to do yourself. Good news is fox is now selling the parts needed for shops to do the nitrogen charges themselves so there should be more options before long to have it done locally. A buddy that runs a mobile bike repair service told me this a few days ago as he just got the stuff from fox to do this.