Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bend, OR questions

See my earlier thread: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...thern-OR-coast

Seems easier to start a new thread for these questions since they're geographically focused. We're going to hit Bend for a couple of nights in a couple of weeks. I've always wanted to check it out, and we'll be really tired of driving for days by the time we get there, so a layover day makes sense. Here are the questions:

1. We will have a small camper, what are the good (reasonably) nearby campgrounds? Or other options for the camper?
    2. We think our kiddo (4.5 yo) will need some play time with other kids, is there a drop in day care in Bend? And/or are there daycare providers of any kind that you can recommend?
    3. What should we do while our kid is in day care (2-3 hour mountain bike ride, maybe)?

#2 is perhaps the most important one of those 3 questions.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sorry, I just live the dream and ride my bike and drink beer when I'm in Bend, so no daycare recommendations.

Crux has decent beer. Tyler's Traverse and the S Fork Trail are OK. Bend trails don't put the Mountain in Mountain Biking as much as other locations, but if you're there already....

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What should we do while our kid is in day care ...?
    Aren't there like a certain number of breweries in Bend?

Camp at one of the snowparks on cascade lakes highway for free if you want to dirtbag it. Amazingly clean and cinnamon-smelling outhouses

The one time I went to Bend, I stayed at Tumalo state park campground. It was really nice -- some sites are right next to the river, and there's solar-heated showers that have plenty of hot water. Quiet but still close to town.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/inde...Page&parkId=34
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Was just vacationing in Bend a month ago. Crux, and Good life had big grass areas for the kiddos to run around in while you drink. i preferred good life beer to crux, but crux had an amazing taco cart. also hit up Crows Feet bike and ski shop - grab a beer while you drool over bikes- a novelty for us Utahns. camping and daycare- no idea. we left the kid at home...

There really isn't very much to DO in Bend. It's a town for young people who like to hang around and drink beer. They are all quite confident that they are extraordinarily cool because, you know, they live in Bend, and they drink craft brews. The real attractions in Bend are the outdoor activities, all of which are better than mediocre, worse than great (with a couple of exceptions). There's good mountain biking of various sorts. For lazy, flowy, cross-country type, single track, Peterson Ridge in Sisters. There's decent trout fishing (Deshutes, Metolius), but it's highly seasonal, and it's the absolute epitome of the "shoulda been here next week" type. The exception there is the steelheading, which is even more seasonal, but on the Deschutes and the Umpqua does better than good and starts to approach great when it is happening. The other exception is the climbing at Smith Rock, which achieves great status, espeically for sport-climbing. There's also a lot of nice hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The one time I went to Bend, I stayed at Tumalo state park campground. It was really nice -- some sites are right next to the river, and there's solar-heated showers that have plenty of hot water. Quiet but still close to town.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/inde...Page&parkId=34
    that place looks pretty sweet but all booked up.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Danno - we have a former sitter who is interested. You could look to see what Bend Parks and Rec has in the way of daytime camps for younger kids. Will send you a PM

Tumelo State Park - reserve now if you can get the dates
    Crown Villa - private campground in town, very nice

let's cross the bridge on what to do once you figure those out.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

No direct experience but this may give you a couple of hours to get away from the little one for a couple of hours while you have some grownup time at Crux or Spork or coyote grill or Zydeco Kitchen or...
    http://www.bouncingoffthewallbend.com/

c'mon Bob, we all know you're the janitor there
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Damn, how did you know?

Danno you may want to look into Sisters Creekside Campground. 20 miles from Bend but close to Metolius if you want to get some fishing in.
    http://www.ci.sisters.or.us/living/c...ampground.html

Tap, Bob, thanks for the info. Need to check in with the wifey.

I thought 10 Barrel was a cool little brewpub. Nice outdoor area. Pretty good food.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I thought 10 Barrel was a cool little brewpub. Nice outdoor area. Pretty good food.
    Seconded

one word ......... smith rock
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Just drive towards Bachelor and hang a left on Conklin Rd (41 Rd) after Widgi Crk, then hand a right on any of the numerous roads that all have spots to camp.

Can't camp between the road and the river.

Or as mentioned get a spot on the Metolius.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    10 barrel is so 2012. Try to keep up.

Srsly though every time I'm back in Bend to see family it seems like there's a new brew pub.

Check out Worthy brewing and report back for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    There really isn't very much to DO in Bend. It's a town for young people who like to hang around and drink beer. They are all quite confident that they are extraordinarily cool because, you know, they live in Bend, and they drink craft brews. .
    It's as if you have this unlimited, bottomless supply of douche. The Great Wall of Douche? Leaning Tower of Douche? The Grand Douche? Doucheopotumus?

The Fountain of Douche.

Bend is a rad town with a great vibe. There is very good fly fishing, good golf, awesome hiking, the nightlife (yes, TFD, some people like to drink beer) is pretty hopping and there is a lot of good live music. If you climb, Smith is the goods with routes for all, plus cool hikes in that area, too. The mountain biking might not be epic in altitude but the trails are really fun with a good mix of cornering, flow, and techy stuff. It's sort of like Fruita in that you can ride all day.

PM Tap, as he is the unofficial mayor of Bend.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Danno, hasn't been mentioned, but we really liked Boneyard when we were in town for a guys trip. Called ahead and they gave us a short tour. Beer was very very good. Like they win all sorts of awards good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Crux brews the best beer in town. There is literally a new brewery popping up just about every month. I know there's a residential child care down the street from my house, but I've never spoken to the people. No kids of my own, so no references. My wife is done teaching for the summer, maybe I can talk her into babysitting. If I can help or you have questions PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Check out Worthy brewing and report back for me.
    Worthy can make a decent beer, but there's too many better spots that make better beer. Just head over to Galveston st., Oblivion just opened, the "lot" has six different food carts and a beer garden. There's 10 Barrel, Brother Johns, Primal Cuts(my favorite spot personally), the global fusion cart has fried avocado tacos to die for and parrilla grill also has killer food. Not far from galveston is Goodlife, Cascade Lakes, and a ton more.
    Last edited by splitinbend; 06-26-2015 at 03:29 AM.

and this one time at Bend camp......
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    It's as if you have this unlimited, bottomless supply of douche. The Great Wall of Douche? Leaning Tower of Douche? The Grand Douche? Doucheopotumus?

The Fountain of Douche.

Bend is a rad town with a great vibe. There is very good fly fishing, good golf, awesome hiking, the nightlife (yes, TFD, some people like to drink beer) is pretty hopping and there is a lot of good live music. If you climb, Smith is the goods with routes for all, plus cool hikes in that area, too. The mountain biking might not be epic in altitude but the trails are really fun with a good mix of cornering, flow, and techy stuff. It's sort of like Fruita in that you can ride all day.

PM Tap, as he is the unofficial mayor of Bend.
    Could not agree with the Rev anymore... I end my ski season every year in Bend and spent my honeymoon there last year... The town is by far one of the best I have ever visited (only other one that tops it for me is Telluride) with great food and off the hook beers... As the Rev stated the terrain whether skiing or biking is not extreme, but it is still fun as hell with technical lines and gorgeous scenery...

If you do hit the town here are my tops for food and beers...:

Crux
    Boneyard - this stuff was flowing through my veins pretty much 24/7 - their RPM IPA is the best I have had to date
    10 Barrel - good, but always always packed
    The Lot - food truck heaven with top OR beers on tap
    Victorias - best breakfast in town
    Chows - 2nd best breakfast in town
    Jacksons Corner - an absolute must as it is by far some of the best food I have ever had and very kid friendly
    The Drake

Enjoy your trip and we already have our house rented for next year and am already jonesing...!