Victor/Driggs/Jackson area next two weeks

Thinking about rolling out to the Tetons for a week or so to flyfish in the AM before working remotely, than MTB or flyfish again in the PM. Is there anything open/worth fishing right now? First beer is on me if I make it out
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Talk to the guys at Snake River Anglers. Boots Allen is based there, and he knows his shit. His latest report says the Snake is fishing well.

There goes the neighborhood.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Teton is in great shape. Water has been high and muddy for a month so the fish got a break from anglers but runoff is ending right now on the west slope. Just getting clear enough for dry fly fishing to really take off in the next couple of days. Fished it monday, got 20 on the nymph and 5 on the dry. Pmds, some yellow sallies, lots of little green willow flies and a few drakes of some kind. Mosquitos and deer flies are out too. This is the window when the hatches are heavy and the fish haven't been beat up by the holiday crowds yet. It won't last very long. Its a low snow pack year and water levels are going down very fast. You can expect the river in the Valley to be totally overrun with anglers and also a lot of fun boaters by this weekend. Valley angler population just about triples for the two weeks around the 4th holiday as all the empty vacation homes become occupied. The tributary creeks to the Teton and the South Fork open on July 1.

South Fork salmonfly hatch has begun but that's a boat river at summer flows. Skip it unless you have a boat. The Henry's is going through its large mayfly hatch cycle now and the crowds finally have other waters to spread out on. Many miles of good wading water and many points of access to be found on the Henry's. Harriman State Park opened June 15. Its an iconic stretch of C&R, FF only but it gets a bit crowded during its prime hatches. Green drakes and flavs hatching right now.

Flat Creek in J-hole is the only fishery I can think of that stays closed past July 1.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-24-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Supposed to get HOT next week, will probably finish off the lower Henry's. The ranch is fishing incredible with higher flows than normal. Shoot me a PM if you want to get out one day.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Supposed to get HOT next week
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I said "overrun.". The predicted heat wave is gonna send everyone who has any sort of water craft down to the river for a float, regardless of how well it is fishing. Expect full parking lots and convoys of boats on the upper Teton when it gets over 90 degrees during the holiday weekends. Every RV/camping spot at the Rainey ramp was already full last weekend. Just the nature of the game these days. You want solitude in summer? Forget about fishing places with parking lots. The pic below is Harriman state park during the opener last week. Count'em.... 4th of July weekends on the upper Teton don't have as many waders but it will have as many floaters as can find a parking space.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/z...psjewfeyzz.jpg
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-24-2015 at 01:16 PM.

The snake is clearing on the JH side. I've seen a good number of guide boats below Wilson but haven't bothered to ask around for reports. Plenty of wading but the water will be moving pretty good. Not like the SF but still a pain to cross. The gros ventre is coming down and should be fishing from the GTNP stretch on up. Might still be a little high above upper slide lake but there are more than enough places to fish below there. The Hoback is high and tough for wading but the big bugs are starting. That's a hoot. Raft central by the wknd tho. Pacific creek is in great shape! The buffalo is still not worth messing with.

The green is coming into prime shape too. Great wade access from the campgrounds above warren bridge.

I'm gone Friday - Tuesday but would be happy to point you in the right direction if you fish on this side. Might be able to get out for a few hours if you want company.

neckdeep, are you Mel, or were you just borrowing his pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    neckdeep, are you Mel, or were you just borrowing his pic?
    Just borrowing his pic. I'd never fish the Ranch opener. Nothing wrong with those who enjoy it but I like to move around and I am rather obsessed with getting first tracks on pocket water. Bear Gulch is more my style. Famous stuff like the Ranch, upper Teton or Flat Creek, I prefer to fish that during the small bugs of October. Big bugs bring big crowds on famous water.

You can count on Mel for a timely photo of the Henry's. I think I met him once when I was a shop jockey. Remember when IdahoFisher outed two scions of a local outfitter family poaching closed water on the Henry's with paying customers? All thanks to a "borrowed" pic from you know who. I'll never forget the look of glee Rob had on his face when Mel emailed him those photos.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-24-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    There goes the neighborhood.
    First beer is on me to help alleviate any neighborhood destruction fears

Thanks for all the beta guys. Will be wading and don't need lights out fishing, would just be a nice change to have decent fishing real close and same with MTB. Will bring the 3 wt and 5 wt. Anyone know if those FS campgrounds by the brewery are likely to be full yet?

Now I need to see if I can rally and get out this weekend as I sure don't want to be driving home that 4th weekend. Figure this weekend thru the following could be a nice little mental reset.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Just borrowing his pic. I'd never fish the Ranch opener. Nothing wrong with those who enjoy it but I like to move around and I am rather obsessed with getting first tracks on pocket water. Bear Gulch is more my style. Famous stuff like the Ranch, upper Teton or Flat Creek, I prefer to fish that during the small bugs of October. Big bugs bring big crowds on famous water.

You can count on Mel for a timely photo of the Henry's. I think I met him once when I was a shop jockey. Remember when IdahoFisher outed two scions of a local outfitter family poaching closed water on the Henry's with paying customers? All thanks to a "borrowed" pic from you know who. I'll never forget the look of glee Rob had on his face when Mel emailed him those photos.
    I sometimes think Mel spends more time keeping an eye on the river (with a suitcase of Bud in hand) than actually fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post

Thanks for all the beta guys. Will be wading and don't need lights out fishing, would just be a nice change to have decent fishing real close and same with MTB. Will bring the 3 wt and 5 wt. Anyone know if those FS campgrounds by the brewery are likely to be full yet?

Now I need to see if I can rally and get out this weekend as I sure don't want to be driving home that 4th weekend. Figure this weekend thru the following could be a nice little mental reset.
    You could stop over night on the Owyhee, it's about halfway if you're in PDX. Silver Creek would be a little more than halfway. Big Wood should be fishing right now as well. Getting there could be half the fun.

Crystal_Mt_Dreamin, curious how you pull off your working remotely? I'm in the same boat and do it a fair bit but I have to scout out locations ahead of time that have 4G so that I can tether through my phone. You planning to do the same and hoping you land somewhere with service? Or do you hang at coffee shops all day?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post

sweet, seconds on me.

I think at least Mike Harris is on the campground reservation system now.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Crystal_Mt_Dreamin, curious how you pull off your working remotely? I'm in the same boat and do it a fair bit but I have to scout out locations ahead of time that have 4G so that I can tether through my phone. You planning to do the same and hoping you land somewhere with service? Or do you hang at coffee shops all day?
    Coffee shops andor breweries depending on the time of day. After a few years of 247 I don't need to pull a full 8 hours, I usually do a few hours in the morning to send stuff to my clients and then have others man the fort for me in case the shit hits the fan.

JFC I'm an idjit. Just went online to look at Mike Harris openings, didn't realize the 4th was next week! I was thinking this week is last week. Calendars, how do they work :\

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    You could stop over night on the Owyhee, it's about halfway if you're in PDX. Silver Creek would be a little more than halfway. Big Wood should be fishing right now as well. Getting there could be half the fun.

That's a cool idea. Spied the Owyhee on the drives out there I've done in the past but never stopped.

Meh, shelfed it. I was a week off on my timing