Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

True Detective S2

Vince Vaughn is the weak link. The rest are ok.

First scene with Colin Farrell might as well have been Mathew McConoughey. Sitting at the end of the table being asked questions about the past. Cop with drug and alcohol addiction who does not do things by the book. Obviously fucked in the head.

Rachel McAdams is the same character as Woody Harrelson. Do right cop who has relationship and family issues. I bit kinky in the sex department. However, unlike Woody, she looks awesome in those tight black jeans!

It has my interest, but it felt like the exact same template as last season. So why new characters if they are cut the same?

Hopefully Vaughn doesn't ruin it!
    Last edited by Labcabin; 06-22-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Kelly Reilly.

Mmmmmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I liked the Vince Vaughn character. Thought it was interesting to see him play it so understated and without the goofball factor. I felt like he gave a good read on the character right out of the gate.

Heard some poor reviews before watching it last night but I'm intrigued again. If anyone disagrees, I’ll come back and butt-fuck your father with your mom’s headless corpse on this goddamn lawn.

Could go either way. The weakest link/possible deal breaker is Taylor Kitsch. I've watched bags of cement with better acting chops.

True Detective S2

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude !!!! So Colin gets it already?
    Last edited by Labcabin; 06-29-2015 at 08:07 AM.

Bumping - the punch line was visible on mobile app despite spacing in the post above

Yeah...
    But if you watch the end scene, you hear his boss say when one of his officers gets shot..he's on it..or something like that.
    It looks like they were in a hospital, so not sure of the final outcome.
    Should be dead anyway.
    TBH.. It seems like his character is already dead inside, so probably wishes it was real.

Messy nest of characters could use a little culling down - I nominate motorcycle boy.

VVaugn's henchman/driver looks to be eager to jump into something sadistic.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Totally lost but not looking for the way home just yet.

I find this season to be very confusing. Am I supposed to know what's going on?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The guy with the bird head did it
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    The guy with the bird head did it
    What...no spoiler alert?

Season 1 had me from the very first scene in the first episode. This season took a little longer, but I'm in. I like Vaughn's character so far, feel like the "don't even let them see you eat if you're hungry" line is some kind of ongoing theme. Its not Woody and McConaughey, but I'm digging it. Don't see how Ray Velocro(colin) can come back from those 2 shotgun blasts, but besides vaughn he's the only character I really like so far.

Quote Originally Posted by groundcontrol323 View Post
    What...no spoiler alert?
    Spoiler alerts are saved for when you are going to actually spoil something.

Nobody is likable in S2 so far, and if they don't get R McAdams naked tonight - this show is dead to me.

i'm out, four episodes is all I need, to know, that this season blows.
    last season was freaky and weird, kept my attention from week to week.
    there is nothing going on this season, Vince Vaughn is fucking terrible.
    and the overblown gun battle, was worse than a Clint Eastwood movie from the 70's.
    fucking awful show
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    and the overblown gun battle, was worse than a Clint Eastwood movie from the 70's.
    fucking awful show
    Nailed it. Literally took the words out of my mouth. Like word for word. I'm out too.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    fucking awful show
    Lol - word, thirded
    So dumb when RMc was running, shooting and catching up to suv with two doods shooting full auto -

guy from deadwood was smart and got taken out. Worst junkshow hbo ever put out there.

was hating this after the first episode but last few have slightly redeemed it. VV is a shit villain and Colin Ferrel can't pull off a good brooding session like Matt but at least a shitload of bullets flew around and that lazy pensioner got capped right in the forward. One of the better gunshots I'd seen in awhile on TV. But yeah, coulda done without RMC trying to run down a suburban loaded with AKs. Waiting for this cult thing to have some stronger undertones.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Waiting for this cult thing to have some stronger undertones.
    Exactly - cult, tits, an interesting character - fkn anything
    And the guy that wrote this show should have his writers guild privileges revoked for having two sad sacks like VV and CF both say apoplectic in concurrent lines - that is poser shit, common bootlicking.
    Best thing I have seen so far is seeing that gal from breaking bad with her head not shot off - she went out in a bad way on last show.

Very underwhelmed and disappointed so far. S1 was awesome. McConaughey and Woody were so good, plot was interesting/good/freaky, the format of flashbacks/interviews/story telling was so different and the way the story was told and the way it unfolded was unique and just cool. Each episode built more momentum into a crazy finish that had not only suspense, drama, violence, but also a ton of emotion. Altogether a pretty crazy combination of things going on in Season 1 that you typically don't have in a series.

This season pales in comparison. A completely different level - a much lower, shitty level on just about every aspect. B grade acting and a standard, tired murder/conspiracy/corruption plot. Pretty sad when the only thing that makes it at all interesting is a gunfight with a fuckload of violence in the latest episode. It almost seems like the writers, directors, and producers are completely different too. I wanted to believe but at 4 episodes in I highly doubt they can turn this shitbox around.

Not mine, from Wired, but sums it up pretty good:

Last edited by sierraskier; 07-15-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Yeah, it's missing a lot this time around. Right away, you can sense the natural ease with which the stars inhabited the skins of their characters is totally, glaringly absent. The quality of direction isn't as visionary but, in all fairness, choosing sterile, industrial L.A. as the setting didn't give the new director the wealth of visual elements to work with that Fukunaga got to use in the bayou. But director and actors aside, Pizzolatto let himself down. He was the newest, hottest writer in a town starved for ideas and deals were being tossed his way left and right. He got spread too thin. IMHO, seems like the first season was the product of a lot of effort and time and rewrites. I went back and watched the first four eps of season 1 last week and what's really absent this time around is Pizzolatto's great ear for dialogue. People say this season is thin on plot but, you know, the first four eps of season one were also actually kind of thin on plot. We didn't care because it had great dialogue (and Rust's crazy monologues). There was also a carefully cultivated atmosphere of mystery that made the show suspenseful. By comparison, this season just feels like a total rush job Pizzolatto pounded out in a couple months between writing film scripts. The plot is so obtuse as to defeat any sense of suspense and the lead characters aren't very interesting because they are rather one dimensional. But, most lacking is the wry, dark humor that Pizzolatto created in many dialogues between the somewhat crazy bar stool philosopher Rust and the resolutely anti-introspective Marty. That was the glue that held the first season together and it's totally absent this time. This time around, the writer was beholden to a production schedule. Honestly, there is nothing that Hollywood can't ruin out of greed. For reference, see Aesop's fable of the Goose that laid Golden Eggs.

Pizzolatto has been accused of plagiarism; basically, of swiping Rust's loopy monologues from non-fiction authors. He defended himself by saying you can't plagiarize ideas. This time around he may have swiped another idea. The idea of three totally different flawed cops who don't particularly like one another coming together to fight municipal corruption in L.A.. There's a savvy but dirty cop, a hyper-masculine lunkhead cop with a forbidden love, and an ambitious straitlaced cop. Great movie. Anyone recognize the basic premise?
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-16-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Hey, it worked really well the first time (LA Confidential)!! Or was that the 23rd time??

Agree 100% on the unacceptable dialogue/plot/general effort, but I don't necessarily blame the setting/location. Good writing, casting, directing and production can easily overcome any limitations of location.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Hey, it worked really well the first time (LA Confidential)!! Or was that the 23rd time??

Agree 100% on the unacceptable dialogue/plot/general effort, but I don't necessarily blame the setting/location. Good writing, casting, directing and production can easily overcome any limitations of location.
    True that. Watch the nearly forgotten but quite good film Devil in a Blue Dress (Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle) or the classic Chinatown for superior neo-noir tales of L.A. corruption. Even better, go back to the film noir tap root of this L.A. tree, Howard Hawks' convoluted masterpiece, The Big Sleep.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-16-2015 at 12:38 PM.

I would say Drive and Heat are two other good LA films that could be borrowed from more to perk up this series. Maybe swap the Iraq vet with gosling too.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.