Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ^ WP is multi use with snowshoers and basically anyone that wants to get their jollies east of Snowbird. The ice is much more of a problem to me than the snowshoers

Zoom out a bit and the figure is around 2M. All supported by the Wasatch & other mountains. The portion of in-state ski days (~50%, >2M/yr) makes a little more sense when you look at the overall Wasatch Front region. All connected by 70-80mph highways, it doesn't take long to get to the bird.

From teh google:
    Today, 85% of Utah's population lives within 15 miles (24 km) of the Wasatch Range, mainly in the valleys just to the west. This concentration is known as the Wasatch Front and has a population of just over 2,000,000 residents. Salt Lake City lies between the Wasatch Range and the Great Salt Lake.

There would need to be a very strict closed boundary policy for me to even consider supporting this. Just look at how Scotties Bowl can get hammered when Snowbird opens the gates off Gad 2. A tram to AF Twins means all of upper White Pine is now sidecountry without closed boundaries.

I wonder how Redford feels about this....

Opposition to this seems to be materializing.

https://www.facebook.com/ProtectAmericanForkCanyon

The Wasatch needs more lifts, they just need to be put in places that actually access ski terrain and aren't focused on linking up resorts. I fully support this expansion along with almost any other that will increase the true lift served skiable acreage along the Wasatch Front.

Please enlighten us as to where, besides Mary Ellen, quality ski terrain exists adjacent to any of the LCC/BCC resorts that isn't a heavily used BC zone.

Also, to be clear, Snowbird wants a new customer access point in AF. The increased traffic and necessary development will undoubtedly change the character and recreation opportunities in AF. Most of the people in that FB group aren't BC skiers. They're mostly slednecks and ATV'ers.

they need more lifts to the TOP
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Trams to the summits with rotating topless bars! It could be like the Vegas of skiing! Mirrored tables and cocaine titties FKNA!

Seriously, I'm down.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    they need more lifts to the TOP
    Dawg, I told you this would attract the gapers.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    the most tragic part to me is the dropping off of gapers up on the AF Twins

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Please enlighten us as to where, besides Mary Ellen, quality ski terrain exists adjacent to any of the LCC/BCC resorts that isn't a heavily used BC zone.

Also, to be clear, Snowbird wants a new customer access point in AF. The increased traffic and necessary development will undoubtedly change the character and recreation opportunities in AF. Most of the people in that FB group aren't BC skiers. They're mostly slednecks and ATV'ers.
    like snake creek?
    really
    sure seems like a bunch o keyboard environmental zuckerbitch warriors like the boycott snowbird dad
    and stupid LDS moms who think their maiden names and opinions matter cause it's social media
    but yeah doesn't every fam in happy valley have at least one fat ass wilderness experience enablin device?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

snowbird expansion into american fork canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    but yeah doesn't every fam in happy valley have at least one fat ass wilderness experience enablin device?
    Judging by the caravan of campers, sidebysides and motos heading to the desert over memorial weekend I'd say yes. Where do they get the money? (Knowing Utah they're probably happily defrauding non-believers). Maybe they should give more then 10%?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

The increased traffic and necessary development will undoubtedly change the character and recreation opportunities in AF. Most of the people in that FB group aren't BC skiers. They're mostly slednecks and ATV'ers.
    Yeah, that was my point - I would almost prefer the expansion if it were to get rid of the two-stroke slednecks. Get some (relative) quiet in AF for a change. Not that I think that would really happen, though.

^^^Everybody deserves a place to have their fun, man. I gotta say if you went touring in there, knowing full well the braappers use that area, then complain about the noise, then that's on you man. Kinda reminds me of the tards that bought houses next to the shooting range, then turned around and complained about the noise from the shooting range!

^^^Everybody deserves a place to have their fun, man. I gotta say if you went touring in there, knowing full well the braappers use that area, then complain about the noise, then that's on you man. Kinda reminds me of the tards that bought houses next to the shooting range, then turned around and complained about the noise from the shooting range!
    Yeah, I don't "get" the sled thing myself but they can't do it in the Cottonwoods... seems fair there's someplace they can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Yeah, I don't "get" the sled thing myself but they can't do it in the Cottonwoods... seems fair there's someplace they can do it.
    A sled would sure open up the Uintas tho!
    Guardsman is open to sledders and if you're a Buxton you can sled up Cardiff Fork.
    The reality is the Wasatch is fukkin tiny. Which is exactly why the resorts really don't need to be any bigger, despite the bigger you build it the more will come mentality around here!

Yeah I actually thought about trying to pay someone to sled me in/out of the Uintas for some touring before lol... I forgot about Guardsman too. Agree on the resort size though... for such a small range, enough lifts already!

I was just noting that resorts could potentially be less odious than current free-for-all ORV use, at least decibel-wise. Not that I think Snowbird is incredibly responsible or would be a significantly better steward of the land.

And your analogy sucks - not like I'm moving into an area next to an established noisy place then bitching about it. More like trying to share public land with others, in a relatively circumscribed region with valuable outdoor resources, realizing that it is a PITA when the others sharing the public space have such a disproportionate impact. Would you be cool with it if 'bilers had even more free reign in the Central Wasatch?

Plus, braappers can go further afield for their fun, like the Uintas - it's easier for them to get out there.

If you went touring in an area that you knew there could potentially be sledders, then bitched about them, then yeah, it's on you. Spot on analogy.

Share public lands with others, while restricting it for the other others?

If its a place they already had access to, how would that be more free reign?

Hey man, I don't even like the Powderbirds operating here, sometimes compromises have to be made.

So you're OK with motorized access to the entire Central Wasatch? You a member of the Buxton clan? Your analogy still sucks. When I started touring, the AF side wasn't nearly as hammered by bilers as it has become, it was relatively quiet - but with the advent of bigger rigs and increasing popularity of two-strokin', it's gotten worse and worse over the years. You said it yourself, it's a tiny area overrun by recreationists.

No, didn't say that at all. I think its funny that you say "trying to share public land with others", as long as they do what you do.
    Not a Buxton. I don't have a problem with them either. Whats your problem with them? They have private land up there which enables them to use sleds when nobody else can, get the fuck over it! You one of the people that vandalize their property up there and create unnecessary problems for others?
    You don't like the analogy cuz it strikes to close to home.
    Same can be said about any winter backcountry experience. touring equipment has gotten much better and people are going further and there is a fuck ton more people touring, plain and simple.
    I'm not a proponent of motorized use and I did say its tiny. It is. You also said the 'share' word, but you have no compromise skills to be able to do so. If its determined the Valley has outgrown the Wasatch and they limit more motorized use, I'm quite OK with that. But there needs to be thoughtful discussion, not some yahoo making exclamations on the TGRzzzz!

Opposition to this seems to be materializing.

https://www.facebook.com/ProtectAmericanForkCanyon
    must not have worked. its on

Car access in AF or no? the current roads are nowhere near capable of managing that traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Car access in AF or no? the current roads are nowhere near capable of managing that traffic.
    Nope they did give up on that plan. But I could see it happening way down the road still. JMO.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    must not have worked. its on
    I chuckled at protog thinks it's a a wilderness of potential intellectual properties to be sold dork
    No wonder they lost
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Skied the Wasatch for the first time a few years ago and it quickly struck me just how small that area is - I was kind of surprised. Seems odd to me that any locals would be for more resort expansion.

Right, natural progression to ask for a better road in AF in 5 years, a base area. A restaurant, etc.