Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Frame bent on f250?

I have a 1994 f250 I use to plow and go to the dump etc. starting being really scary to drive...darting to either side unpredictably. Took it to shop, tie rods, ball joints, steering gearbox bad. All replaced. Better but still pulls a little unpredictably. They say the frame is bent 3 inches, likely from plowing.

Anybody heard of this?

Anyone ever had a frame stsrightened?

Salt lake recommendations?

Thanks, the truck is a serious beater but super reliable for my needs...and came free with the plow.

Killing it with the 4-6 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

normal for a beater.
    don't worry and compensate for it or dump it.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

its a 94' who cares
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

My $.02.

This seems very unlikely but is there a bunch of rust on there, possibly weakening the frame?

Those trucks have pretty robust frames and I just feel like it's very, very unlikely to bend from a plow...more like an unreported accident. Either way, if the frame is bent it's totaled and not worth straightening as far as I know.

Any plow truck (like my 1998 Dodge) is going to drive like hell. The front end gets so beat up, it's impossible to keep it straight.

Did you get the alignment checked? Wheels inspected?

Edit: Is it pulling when you brake or when you go over bumps? Is it lifted?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Maybe buy a second cheap beater for non-plow duties?

Lend it to Pio and collect the insurance money.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    bringing teh funny - lol

Hell brand new 250's dart all over the road, so as long as it isn't the death wobbled I wouldn't worry about it.

Fkna dood, go find a guy who can handle it and wheel a deal to get the shit straightened out already. I bet it fuckin' snows in his lot too!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

It's aligned, new tires, just randomly darts, nothing to do with braking or bumps.

Probably just leave it alone, glad to have the dentists advice though.

Killing it with the 4-6 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Frame and axle shop could fix it easily

Plow in reverse next winter, it'll bend it back.

Frame bent on f250?

I don't know man.. I have a landscaping business and have owned 10 f150s and 3 f-350s over the years. We beat the living hell out of them. Sounds like a steering control issue more than a bent frame. Unless you plowed into a boulder doing 50, that frame isn't bent. How many "second" opinions have you had on this? Yeah, it's a beater, but sounds like you just dumped some money into it, keep that thing truckin!

Edit- a 3" bend in the frame would be easily visible. Put a 6' level on it or run a string line

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post

Any plow truck (like my 1998 Dodge) is going to drive like hell. The front end gets so beat up, it's impossible to keep it straight.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Or send it to guroo, there's no snow where he lives.

(If you weren't such an ass-kissing, cubicle monkey, ski-wannabe, that would hurt).

Bending a frame while plowing is not at all unusual. yes, truck frames are robust, but trucks are very heavy, so when that plow catches something all of the force (mass x velocity) is transferred directly to the frame.

If you're going to keep using it for plowing, don't bother fixing it (unless it's too dangerous to drive). if you're going to drive it, don't use it for plowing, unless you're going to be super careful.

ping Bob Mc
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Don't use it for plowing? That's all it's good for. Limp from job to job and plow yer ass off when you get there. Make money until it dies.

Axle U-joints(the ones that you can see in your steering knuckle) need replacement.

Not a fan of any bent frames but it's a beater and body-on-frame construction like your truck is easier to get right than unibody if truly bent. That a 20 year old plow truck with four wheel drive and a twin traction beam front end ever drove straight is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Axle U-joints(the ones that you can see in your steering knuckle) need replacement.
    Tio speaks el trutho, does it do it more right after it rains? Of course that begs the question does it rain where you live? If not try this trick, throw a couple handfulls of sand at the ujoints and see if it gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Don't use it for plowing? That's all it's good for. Limp from job to job and plow yer ass off when you get there. Make money until it dies.
    right?!? Is that not obvious? "my work truck handles like shit" .....ummmmmm yeah. sounds like a work truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Bending a frame while plowing is not at all unusual. yes, truck frames are robust, but trucks are very heavy, so when that plow catches something all of the force (mass x velocity) is transferred directly to the frame.

If you're going to keep using it for plowing, don't bother fixing it (unless it's too dangerous to drive). if you're going to drive it, don't use it for plowing, unless you're going to be super careful.
    It is utterly amazing how frequently you spew shit you have no idea about on this forum. Amazing.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

^^^no shit. No many hours you spent is a plow truck Pio? Bent frames aside, experienced plow drivers know how to not beat the shit out of there stuff. Ramming frozen snow piles isn't really very effective. If you need to push back your banks, get a machine. Pretty standard stuff.

Trade for an atv with a plow and start doing sidewalks? (/plow speculation)

My buddy does that and makes a killing with big neighborhood contracts.