Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why Americans have such bad taste in beer

What a bunch of donkey piss. Who says a Lager or a Pils has to be bland??? And who says you have to fuck a beer up the ass with a fuck load of hops for it to have 'flavor'??? There are lots of beers with strong flavor other than the over hopped goat jizz that is all the rage these days with the hipster set. Mass production and crappy recipes are the issue. Not the style of beer.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

That article could have been written 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    What a bunch of donkey piss. Who says a Lager or a Pils has to be bland??? And who says you have to fuck a beer up the ass with a fuck load of hops for it to have 'flavor'??? There are lots of beers with strong flavor other than the over hopped goat jizz that is all the rage these days with the hipster set. Mass production and crappy recipes are the issue. Not the style of beer.

Then why is Bud Light so popular, with Coors Light a close second? Even in bars with better selections of all types of beer? I've been in some excellent bars (not in Europe, of course) and watched people order bottles of Coors Light when the choices were almost infinite.
    And now we have this beer in cans revival that drags us down even further.

Ooo, it's all so fascinating! What a stupid article.

What a dumbass article.

The best selling Belgian beer, yes, Belgium, home of Trappist monks, is Stella Artois, bland, inoffensive and easy drinking. Brits drink more Carling than anything else. And the same story is true around the world. Bland pils and lager is popular because it's easy to drink.That's just as true in Australia, Japan, China, South America or Europe as it is here in the U.S.

But, hey, if it's important to people to bash someone else's beverage choice, then by all means go ahead. The PR exists mainly to make its denizens feel superior.

But, Coors Light tastes like cow urine. I am told. The cow urine part. Wait. Uh.....

It's not what's on the inside that counts, it's the outside. It's the can man. Cans with "Special" lining, cans that tell you the swill inside is cold and best of all the can that lets me punch a fucking hole in it with my house key so I don't even need a funnel to pour the swill down my pie hole.
    Let's see a euro do that.

When ex wife's family visited from Manchester and Liverpool, they would swill Bud like drunken frat boys.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    . Mass production and crappy recipes are the issue. Not the style of beer.
    this ^^ the macro beers are the big sellers that put out the big sales numbers but probably not with this crowd I'm betting

we did the lagers at our last beer club meeting in salute to the hockey playoffs and I'm sure glad we got that out of the way
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Also, what's with this "session" shit?
    I really didn't get it at first.
    I've cut my beer intake Way back....but when I drank daily, my "session" beers were 8.5% Scotch Ales

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    When ex wife's family visited from Manchester and Liverpool, they would swill Bud like drunken frat boys.
    And then punch each other in the face when the subject of favorite football clubs came up?

I always had Benny marked down as a wine spritzer type of guy rather than a tubthumping real ale campaigner.

... As has been pointed out.... everywhere in the world drinks "shit" industrial scale beer. It is simply the definition of what is shit that has changed.. not the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    The PR exists mainly to make its denizens feel superior.
    Oh the ironing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Benny, drink what you want. People drink what they prefer. I drink High Life. Micro/Craft/Whatever are generally to hard on my gut to have more that about two. It's not good or bad, it's preference. And for all of your europhile doucheness, you have no idea what you are talking about. In every country I've ever traveled in, some kind of swill has been the most popular beer. Have fun kicking back with whatever kind of "good beer" you like. I'll be knocking back a handful of domestics living my life.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Also, what's with this "session" shit?
    I really didn't get it at first.
    I've cut my beer intake Way back....but when I drank daily, my "session" beers were 8.5% Scotch Ales
    Because you can only drink a couple of those over hopped sweet flower beers before they make you sick. Any one of those potpourri beers you can get passed two is a "session" beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Benny, drink what you want. People drink what they prefer. I drink High Life. Micro/Craft/Whatever are generally to hard on my gut to have more that about two. It's not good or bad, it's preference. And for all of your europhile doucheness, you have no idea what you are talking about. In every country I've ever traveled in, some kind of swill has been the most popular beer. Have fun kicking back with whatever kind of "good beer" you like. I'll be knocking back a handful of domestics living my life.
    If only hi-life would be sold in a brown bottle. That would be really cool.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

I am normally a big beer drinker, but having really reduced my intake to a couple of drinks on Friday and Saturday night, man are my taste buds way more sensitive to the taste of booze now. My wife bought some Bud light to help me through the initial detox period and that stuff tastes like shit. I had a IPA last Friday for the first time in 30 days and damn, it was so good.
    I still love red wine, but it hates me, so I guess I will stick with a couple of Manhattans once a week and continue to get back into shape for next winter. Sadly, I know booze is doing me no good, so I need to pretty much give it up. Fucking sucks getting old.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

25 years ago I went on my first trip to Southampton to train my UK distributor, and after the day we went to the pub, and all 8 reps drank Bud Light. I was surprised to say the least. Anyway, that night and through the lockout they drank whatever was the main brand at that pub. Typically Tetley's. I think they just treated the Bud Light as a water replacement.

Oh, and liv2ski, drink more whites?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    25 years ago I went on my first trip to Southampton to train my UK distributor, and after the day we went to the pub, and all 8 reps drank Bud Light. I was surprised to say the least. Anyway, that night and through the lockout they drank whatever was the main brand at that pub. Typically Tetley's. I think they just treated the Bud Light as a water replacement.
    American and Canadian beers were pushed hard on the UK market in the 80s/90s. a Bud, Rolling Rock , Michelob or Molson was the epitome of cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Oh the ironing.
    I laughed and so true

Stupid article. Taste is subjective. To paraphrase Duke Ellington, if it tastes good, it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Bland pils and lager
    You say that as if all pilsners and lagers are bland, which, of course, is not true, e.g., Pilsner Urquell, Grolsch, Oranjeboom.

I don't get the goopy malty fruity ale American poser beer snob thing, whether it's macho overhopped or girl beer underhopped, the malty fruit-nose goop of nearly all American microbrew ales is just fucking awful. Gimme a crisp Euro lager or pilsner.

And don't get me started on Brit trash drunk on shandys looking for a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Then why is Bud Light so popular, with Coors Light a close second? Even in bars with better selections of all types of beer? I've been in some excellent bars (not in Europe, of course) and watched people order bottles of Coors Light when the choices were almost infinite.
    And now we have this beer in cans revival that drags us down even further.
    because people who drink those brands in large quantities don't give a rat's ass about taste they just want to be refreshed and get drunk for as little money as possible plus they can drink can after can without getting as full as they would off of a couple quality micro brews. It's not about the beer.

And this:

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I think they just treated the Bud Light as a water replacement.
    Last edited by KQ; 06-12-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Where's Lemonboy to chime in about the beer refreshing?
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Most "craft brewers" that are honest will tell you they have enormous respect for the brewers at places like AB and Miller. They might not like the product but it's not easy to make massive quantities of beer that are consistently the same. They could make beer like Sierra Nevada or even the smaller brewers in mass quantities and of the same quality but the demand isn't there and they're a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Where's Lemonboy to chime in about the beer refreshing?
    https://youtu.be/o83xxWCel8g