Your opinion on quads?

Since I am still kooking around mostly clueless, but all my friends say quad is the shit, i was wondering wether i shoudl try it. Yes i have read online sources concerning the topic and yes I know it depends on what you like.

But my question is: Will this kook find a 6.0 quad (round tail i guess, maybe squash 19 1/2 ish and 2 3/8ish or a bit thicker) for Indo a nice addition to the quiver if he already has a 6.6. (19 1/2, 2 3/8) step up for Indo when he souldn't be paddling out and a 6.2 swallowtail (20 1/2 , 2 5/8) for Euro waves and the rare small Indo day.

So my question ist will i be able to benfit from the quad in hollow steep waves or will my tail slide out during the bottom turn because I'm still a semi kook? Weightwise the Dimensions should fit since climbing hasn't made me very fat.

I'll start my sabattical with 3 months in Indo in August, so I think i might become worthy of my quiver (maybe longer depending on the conditions late October as I may want to check out Aceh in November). And maybe another three months starting in May 2016.

If this has been discussed, be gentle since the surf forum isn't that active anyway.

P.S. Yes i will ski in winter. No I wont do much besides ski all the time from late November to April, conditions permitting.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Yes, if you can afford a new board.

But... why not get five fin boxes? Then you can play around with your fin set up. I'm looking to to get something in the 5.8, 5.10 range and will plan for a five fin. Basically switching back and forth between quad and thruster.

Quads are fun for getting up to speed faster, not relying on wave/techniques to get speed, fast down the line, so great for point breaks and straight tubes. They make a wider turn and are harder to release the fins, IMO.

Thursters are fun in bowly waves, and where you want more high performance surfing, vertical and tight turns. Short poundy beach breaks, ledge reefs, or any where you might want to make a lot of turns.

Your tail might slide out, but not any more so than a thruster. I know a lot of guys who charge big Scotts and Mavs on quads, because they hold so much better on the steep face. Think about the placement of fins. With a quad you will always have two fins in the face, until you have no fins. The thruster, the rear fin can possibly release while you still have the inside rail in the wave. What might be nice about a quad in Indo is they gain speed really fast, and don't need the same kind of pump action that a thruster wants. With no drag from a center fin, they get fast when sitting flat in the water.

How much do you weigh? Age? Might want to go to 2.5 thick to keep similiar volume to your 6.6/

That 6.2 sounds a bit wide for a fast hollow reef pass. But that is just my bias.

Five fin box.... Stop making your life complicated... End of story.

^^^^this....I just went to a 5 fin box (LazyBoy) and love it. I'm a intermediate surfer at best too but changing the tail reaction for different days has proved more useful then ever expected.

yes sorry. obviously the new board would not be quad only. The ones I'm eying all have 5 fin boxes.
    So the general consensus is: yes. I shall do as though command dear internet

Ottime: the 6.2 is just a relic of non Indo times as my other board does not really work in Sloppy euro waves but I surfed it last year from time to time when it was smaller than head high. It was allright, but the board feels weird in Indo waves, which is to be expected I guess. Since my wife only has one board I will take my 6.2 as well and put it in her Boardbag AAND tell her that she can use it as well. Genius!

I'm 170 pounds, so a bit more volume is probably not bad,but I like boards with not so much Volume and I'll lose some weight in Indo (i guess) so I'm not too sure about the thickness.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 06-13-2015 at 02:47 AM.

This is like reading a foreign language.

Are you still surfing in Euro? Maybe a little added thickness will make the 6.0 good for trips to France and better day at home. Where are you surfing in Euro?

The Indo waves you are riding, do they peak on the take off (meaning they are the type of waves you can paddle into an float helps) or are they bowly take offs (meaning volume has little to do with and positioning is everything). If the former, then a little added thickness to keep some volume will make catching smaller peaks a whole lot easier.

For reference, I'm 180# and my daily driver 6.0 is 2.5 and does not feel at all corky. And it is epoxy so it is extra buoyant.

I mostly go to northern spain ( if I can't travel during the summer), but i might do a winter trip to the canaries to get beat up by angry sponger locals if there is no climbing/ skiing weather close to home this year. The 6.2. does work up to the conditions i can surf the, still virtual, 6.0 or my Bushman 6.6.

I think will get something like the pukas foamball 6.0 because the Indo waves I'm eying have quite steep takeoffs most of the time. especially since i want to surf Cobras again this year.....
    http://pukassurf.com/surfboards/foamball/

Huh?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1434458642.920484.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	167794