Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Wasatch Trails 2015

Is the WOW trail going to be completed this summer? Is Snowbird building more trails? Is the Crest going to melt out early? Any downed trees on it? Got any good pics or trail reports?

Help me ignore all the boring gear questions and choad chafe issues of this forum and make it a little less sucky by posting here.

People are riding the crest.

I'm not sure about the Wow trail, I think they were having issues regarding the trailhead in Brighton Acres (or whatever that zone is called).

I have no idea about Snowbird.

I'm waiting a bit on the crest until there is a reliable report on snow. Did it last year too early after an over-stoked bro said it was epic. Was not epic post-holing knee deep banks for an extra half-hour.

Big Rack Shuttle announced today PC-side shuttles this year on all odd days. Interesting but not compelling to a SLC-er like me.

Other basic info: Gravity Logic is building 1 or two trails at DV this summer. I heard Canyons will open their DH trail opening day, and according to Instagram they have been altering it/improving? it this spring.

Looking like mid-September for WOW. Hopefully that pans out.
    http://utahmountainbiking.com/TheUMB...ic.php?t=13318 (see 3rd post)

Snowbird's press release last year said a second trail was planned and indicated that it would be complete this year. No idea if they are on track for that to happen.
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1288&sid=28955015

Reliable reports of sizeable snow banks on the crest still. Otherwise riding well.

ETA: If you haven't ridden Payson, you should.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-10-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Wasatch Trails 2015

Whaaas happening?
    Last edited by flowtron's ghost; 06-10-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Reliable report on the crest is several snowbanks requiring no more than 30 seconds of walking each. Obviously some wet spots too.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Anyone know what current conditions are like at Snowbasin?

I rode sardine peak a few weeks ago and things were well dried out there. I imagine snow basin is most of the way good to go by now.

Good stuff so far.

"Many trails on Bald Mountain are open just avoid trails with closed signs - TGR users have been going around closed signs." -found on the Mountain Trails Foundation website

Wasatch Trails 2015

Just pedaled the crest today. it's mostly clear and dry, with maybe three-four snow banks behind home run bowl area ( same place every year) they only take a half minuteto scoot around. A week of warm weather should finish it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Good stuff so far.

"Many trails on Bald Mountain are open just avoid trails with closed signs - TGR users have been going around closed signs." -found on the Mountain Trails Foundation website
    Fucking TGR users....
    get paid

Looking forward to checking out the crest trail for the first time soon! Anyone wanna show a UT JONG around?

Happy to show you the goods. Just shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Anyone know what current conditions are like at Snowbasin?
    Most of it is gtg. At least the lower mountain and down to wheeler. Sardine as well. Few wet spots here and there you may have to walk.

Bummer the upper Millcreek road is closed to bikers from now until July 1st, if they finish the construction in time. I'm sure some people will still try to squeeze by the construction site though.

Anyone know what the deal is with the Mid-Mountain reroute between Spiro and Pinecone? God awful.

Bummer the upper Millcreek road is closed to bikers from now until July 1st, if they finish the construction in time. I'm sure some people will still try to squeeze by the construction site though.
    Guess is been such a issue with people biking thru the construction zone, with a recent near miss that they have stationed FS and a cop there.
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Anyone know what the deal is with the Mid-Mountain reroute between Spiro and Pinecone? God awful.
    They had to build some sort of Gondola evac road that was in conflict with the original MM alignment (unfortunately, probably my favorite 1/4 mile of MM was part of that). It will eventually grow in, but goddamn, I was sooo bummed to ride that last week.
    Fucking Vail!

in other construction news, rode soli the other night. closed sign for summit road to get to top of kruzr. ventured up to check it out and nothing going on but ran into a guy who got turned around the other day by crews doing work that way fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Fucking Vail!
    Seconded. That was a great section of trail. Hopefully it grows in, but I could see it staying ATV width for a looong time with all the traffic MM gets. It'll be like when Elaine hits Kramer's wide lanes, "Oooh, wide trail, how luxurious!"

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    in other construction news, rode soli the other night. closed sign for summit road to get to top of kruzr. ventured up to check it out and nothing going on but ran into a guy who got turned around the other day by crews doing work that way fyi.
    Thanks, good to know. Not much point in riding Soli if you can't get to the top of Kruzr.

Good stuff so far.

Damn, those TGR guys think they are better than all those JONGs out there.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

The Brim trail at powder Mountain is sweet, mainly for the scenery. I've never biked through high alpine flowers like this anywhere else. Some mini-airs and well-placed berms were nice, too.

It's too long of a drive from SLC as it's a short trail. Doing it with another short loop (Sardine?) nearby would be worth the drive for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    They had to build some sort of Gondola evac road that was in conflict with the original MM alignment (unfortunately, probably my favorite 1/4 mile of MM was part of that). It will eventually grow in, but goddamn, I was sooo bummed to ride that last week.
    Fucking Vail!
    After the debacle at the Colonies resulting in miles of mid mountain being dropped, and renamed, I thought mountain trails would be more on top of this. For me, it is the one trail they should be going out of their way to protect and preserve. Re-route Spiro and Armstong and Jenny's and I don't care. But they just seem to bend over when it comes to mid mountain and the developers. In my mind, Vail can move the location of a lift or lift tower before they follow in the footsteps of their Talisker landlord and further damage this trail It is a thorn in my side and I feel like I am joisting windmills on this. If anyone has a solution, I'm willing to put time into this?
    All of that said, I've found my new horizontal to be the crest. Mid mountain is just too crowded since Armstrong was built to ride anytime other than predawn or dusk. And I thought crest was crowded five years ago. I guess this is progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    After the debacle at the Colonies resulting in miles of mid mountain being dropped, and renamed, I thought mountain trails would be more on top of this. For me, it is the one trail they should be going out of their way to protect and preserve. Re-route Spiro and Armstong and Jenny's and I don't care. But they just seem to bend over when it comes to mid mountain and the developers. In my mind, Vail can move the location of a lift or lift tower before they follow in the footsteps of their Talisker landlord and further damage this trail It is a thorn in my side and I feel like I am joisting windmills on this. If anyone has a solution, I'm willing to put time into this?
    All of that said, I've found my new horizontal to be the crest. Mid mountain is just too crowded since Armstrong was built to ride anytime other than predawn or dusk. And I thought crest was crowded five years ago. I guess this is progress.
    Mountain Trails has nothing to do with openings, closures, or routes. They've stated time and time again that they simply maintain and build trails at the landowner's whim. You may be butthurt that the Colony somehow screwed you, but you are allowed to ride the trails there because of the generosity of the Colony in letting you ride there at all. Mtn. Trails has publicly stated this many times, and Charlie Sturgis (the director) wishes folks wouldn't publicly disparage the generosity of said landowners. But this is TGR.

Why is the Park City mountain bike scene so incredible? Because the large majority of trails are indeed on private property, allowing them to be routed, connected, flow, etc., any way that can be imagined. If we were dealing with public land, there would be much less options. So insofar as the PC mountain biking scene is concerned, praise be on the landowners who let us on their property. Yes, the Mid-Mountain and Pinecone are experiencing some closures, but the closures are only temporary.

Of bigger concern to me is the effort to permanently close the Wasatch Crest to mountain biking. For the environment. Because, you know, mountain bikes are destroying the place. Yay. I'm surprised that the local mountain biking community isn't really making a fuss about this, but again if you close the Crest, there are still many hundreds of other trails to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    Of bigger concern to me is the effort to permanently close the Wasatch Crest to mountain biking. For the environment. Because, you know, mountain bikes are destroying the place. Yay. I'm surprised that the local mountain biking community isn't really making a fuss about this, but again if you close the Crest, there are still many hundreds of other trails to ride.
    First I've heard of this, what's the scoop? Part of the Mountain Accord plan or what?