Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    The dirt was soooo good at Mueller Park on saturday.

Has anybody noticed or heard any chatter about the massive aspen die off occurring on PCMR right now? I noticed some leaves on the ground coming down ski school last week, but it becomes really obvious when riding up Crescent chair. It's crazy and huge. I can't help wonder if it's got anything to do with all the construction up there this summer. It also looks like they sprayed some sort of shit on the underbrush beneath the chair on the lower half, lots of dead stuff.

More than one grove?

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Has anybody noticed or heard any chatter about the massive aspen die off occurring on PCMR right now? I noticed some leaves on the ground coming down ski school last week, but it becomes really obvious when riding up Crescent chair. It's crazy and huge. I can't help wonder if it's got anything to do with all the construction up there this summer. It also looks like they sprayed some sort of shit on the underbrush beneath the chair on the lower half, lots of dead stuff.
    I noticed it when I was on the way down Johns and Sweeny's the other day. I thought I had some debris stuck in my drivetrain. I've noticed it from DV all the way over to the resort formerly known as Canyons. I was attributing it to the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Has anybody noticed or heard any chatter about the massive aspen die off occurring on PCMR right now? I noticed some leaves on the ground coming down ski school last week, but it becomes really obvious when riding up Crescent chair.
    It's all over the region. Up toll gate it's bad. I've been told it's related to the very wet spring and fungus, and it should correct in spring. Of course this was fourth hand.

Anyone know when good fall bike sales happen? I'm not talking about the basic 20% off Go-Ride fall sale, I mean 'clear this shit out for ski season' sales. Or when demos usually are sold.

PC stores I'm really clueless about, any ideas?

I will admit, reading up on the political fuckery that culminated in the Boulder-White Clouds debacle has me more legitimately concerned about Wilderness designation on the Crest. I'm far from a blanket Save Our Canyons hater, but I have little faith they wouldn't sell out MTB access if offered a deal similar to BWC.

Also, if you enjoy Northern Skyline (you'd have to be a soulless robot not to) or have never ridden it, get on it now kids. The FS is already well underway with "maintenance" on Southern Skyline that consists of completely re-blading the trail 4 ft wide, and they'll be starting on Northern Skyline next year and will be raping it for the next four years. One day it will probably grow and wear back into quality singletrack, but we're losing one of, if not the, best descents in the Wasatch until at least 2020.
    http://www.standard.net/Recreation/2...ns-among-users
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-14-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Also, if you enjoy Northern Skyline (you'd have to be a soulless robot not to) or have never ridden it, get on it now kids. The FS is already well underway with "maintenance" on Southern Skyline that consists of completely re-blading the trail 4 ft wide, and they'll be starting on Northern Skyline next year and will be raping it for the next four years. One day it will probably grow and wear back into quality singletrack, but we're losing one of, if not the, best descents in the Wasatch until at least 2020.
    http://www.standard.net/Recreation/2...ns-among-users
    damn. I heard about the s. skyline work but not the northern stuff. loved riding both when I lived up that way esp the top half of the n. skyline. that section rivals the crest in terms of views. plus you usually had the trail to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    damn. I heard about the s. skyline work but not the northern stuff. loved riding both when I lived up that way esp the top half of the n. skyline. that section rivals the crest in terms of views. plus you usually had the trail to yourself.
    IMO, the Perry/Willard/Ben Lomond/Northern Skyline traverse is the best ride in Northern Utah hands down.

IMO, the Perry/Willard/Ben Lomond/Northern Skyline traverse is the best ride in Northern Utah hands down.
    I'm totally disturbed that this word is getting out. I remember 20 mile weekend rides where I didn't even see cars at the trailhead, felt completely alone. Hopefully the SLC crowd doesn't discover the skiing off of that ridge.

I doubt you have much to worry about. A climb that big is a pretty effective filter. When I did it a couple weekends back I saw zero people on Perry, zero people between Willard and Ben Lomond, and a half dozen or so hikers on skyline. Didn't see a single other biker. The FS wrecking skyline won't exactly draw crowds either.

ETA: I hate to say it, but more traffic wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing on that route. Parts of the Perry climb aren't even really a trail any more, the grass is just a bit shorter.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-08-2015 at 01:08 PM.

I doubt you have much to worry about. A climb that big is a pretty effective filter. When I did it a couple weekends back I saw zero people on Perry, zero people between Willard and Ben Lomond, and a half dozen or so hikers on skyline. Didn't see a single other biker. The FS wrecking skyline won't exactly draw crowds either.
    IMO, it's not the climb filtering people out. A ton of people around here do massive days in the saddle, according to Strava. I think people have the "same 'ol trails, different day attitude". Except for that yearly trip to Moab.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    according to Strava
    Who's she?

S. Skyline work, pic from evdog's recent TR:

Looks like fun! What a productive and worthwhile use of the Forest Service's time and money! Who wouldn't be psyched to ride 20 miles of this!

Must. Contain. Rage....
    Last edited by Dantheman; 09-14-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Who's she?
    She gives out virtual crowns and cups to dorks online and gives trail info and ride ideas/loops to dinks like me.

I may have taken 2 dirty SLC people on that special ride on Sat... Yeah, 4,500 in 8 miles is a bit of a filter. Wanted a machete at times. Edit to add - no other cyclists on the trail. Few people booze cruising Willard road in UTVs....

S. Skyline work, pic from evdog's recent TR:

Looks like fun! What a productive and worthwhile use of the Forest Service's time and money! Who wouldn't be psyched to ride 20 miles of this!

Must. Contain. Rage....
    Looks fast! Maybe the forest service is seeing the fatbike trend as here to stay.

all kidding aside this is actually sweet...now towing a bobcat up to build the rogue trail to the valley from Lewis is entirely possible. bwahahahaha!!!!
    bumps are for poor people

Yes massah, thank you massah! The dogshit re-routes of previously great trail are very much permanent. You never fail to be an insufferable twat.
    Yes. Absolutely. Right up to the point where your ignorance and stupidity outdo my insufferable twattiness because the Mid Mountain and Wasatch Crest are no longer rideable because of your insufferable twattiness and the entitlement attitude of you and others like you.

Dogshit re-routes pale in comparison to permanent closures. What? Can't handle the extra 200 vertical and quarter mile? FU.

These trails can go away. You are not entitled to the Mid-Mountain. The plug can be pulled. Don't assume that everyone has your best interest in mind in terms of the Wasatch Crest; the mtb community in Idaho is pissed because their "sacrosanct" trail just got turned into wilderness. I'll bet it's an awesome, beautiful trail. No more bikes.

As a guy who is fortunate to have a Wasatch trail named after him and actively maintains that trail (short as it may be), I'm concerned.

Quit bitching about re-routes, and fight tooth and nail any attempt to turn established mtb trails into wilderness, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
    4,500 in 8 miles is a bit of a filter.
    Dang, that is a harsh filter.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    As a guy who is fortunate to have a Wasatch trail named after him and actively maintains that trail (short as it may be), I'm concerned.
    If someone got rid of Sam's trail no one would care. It's terrible. You Sam? Hikers can have it.

Wasatch Trails 2015

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    If someone got rid of Sam's trail no one would care. It's terrible. You Sam? Hikers can have it.
    Yeah, there's tons of trails that are horrible for mountain bikers. The last time I rode my bike up the Pffierhorn was a bitch. You missed the entire point. "...and others like you" is you.

Sam I am I am not. Pay attention.

Yeah, there's tons of trails that are horrible for mountain bikers. The last time I rode my bike up the Pffierhorn was a bitch. You missed the entire point. "...and others like you" is you.

Never mind......delete delete presumptions presuptions
    Last edited by muted; 09-15-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Wasatch Trails 2015

Edit. Can't delete because Dundee and tgr are lliving in 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Wasatch Trails 2015

De bios trail, runs through the sun peak residential development for a half-mile and connects with one of the worse switchback trails in the wasatch. Congrats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quit bitching about re-routes, and fight tooth and nail any attempt to turn established mtb trails into wilderness, duh.
    You say this like these two things are somehow mutually exclusive. I am quite capable of venting about terrible and unnecessary MM re-routes, and fighting wilderness designation on the Crest. Also, I acknowledged just a few posts up that the BWC debacle has me more legitimately concerned about potential Wilderness designation.

You are not entitled to the Mid-Mountain. The plug can be pulled.
    Since there is not even the slightest possibility that MM would be included in a potential Wilderness boundary, I have no idea what you are insinuating or threatening here. Colony homeowners are going to take their trail and go home?